Old 04-11-2018, 05:01 PM

Niced 10 Times in 7 Posts
Default Finally getting some good form and distance

Been playing disc golf for about a year now, RHBH 99% of throws. Only seriously for about the last 6 months, and by seriously mean I've started to put in the work to practice in the field at least once a week and to read and watch as much as I can.

I've just recently broken through a plateau I've been facing for a while now and it feels great. Just wanted to share my experience and find out if I'm progressing normally and if other people had that same ah-hah moment.

I've always had a problem with nose up issues, finally been having my wife record me while I throw to see what's going on and boy did I notice some things.

I'm finally starting to be able to consistently:
1. Keep my head down through my throwing motion
2. Move around the disc while walking up with X step, no longer have extra motion while walking up, more condensed and I bring the disc to my chest/waist area after the first step and then proceed to pull it back on steps 2-4.
3. Planting my right foot square to where I want to aim and really bracing strong before I pull the disc through to get that extra momentum.
4. Pulling through my chest/pec area to keep the disc low and nose down when trying for max distance rips.
5. Walk up right to left for anni throws, left to right for hyzers.

I've been able to add an extra 50 feet easily by starting to incorporate these things into my throws and it's just so rewarding to see my teebird go 350+ now when I used to not be able to get a Tern to go 300 reliably. I'd still say I'm probably averaging about 300 now on my shots, but when I get a good rip and everything comes together I'm starting to reach that 350 range which is amazing.

I just wanted to post because it felt so good and I had to share it with someone who would understand. The wife just doesn't get it and my friends really aren't into the technical details like I am with the throw and technique.

Does it sound like I'm progressing normally for someone whos been playing for about a year? I recently upgraded my bag and my main drivers are a Teebird, Eagle, and Thunderbird (winds) and I have to say I can pretty much get any shot I want with these discs. I do have my Leo for understable shots too.

The best thing I've found recently on here that has helped me immensely is this shot shaping drill. https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/f...6809ca23204c59 I've been able to finally throw turnovers with my Mako3 reliably, and it's freakin fun as hell to do that instead of throwing forehand which I suck at.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 04-11-2018, 06:22 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 32
Niced 200 Times in 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentExodus04 View Post
Does it sound like I'm progressing normally for someone whos been playing for about a year?
Yes.

Quote:
I recently upgraded my bag and my main drivers are a Teebird, Eagle, and Thunderbird (winds) and I have to say I can pretty much get any shot I want with these discs. I do have my Leo for understable shots too.
This is especially good.

Congrats on your progress!

Quote:
The best thing I've found recently on here that has helped me immensely is this shot shaping drill. https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/f...6809ca23204c59 I've been able to finally throw turnovers with my Mako3 reliably, and it's freakin fun as hell to do that instead of throwing forehand which I suck at.
Glad you found that useful. A lot of people play for a year (or more) and still don't know how to shape shots (but are quick to talk about how they overhauled their bag what a game-changer some new disc will be.)

If you really want to progress further, the best thing to do is (IMO) to increase the distance within which you can reliably get up and down. This can be broken down into 2 elements: putting and upshots. If you get good at upshots and leave yourself 10-15 footers, then your consistency will increase (unless you are having trouble with 10-15 footers, then really work on that.) If you get good at putting and can make a high percentage within say, 35 feet, then that gives you even more margin for error with upshots and/or drives; all you have to do is get within a 70-foot circle.

On most courses/holes, birdies are what happen when you get up and down from the tee.

Niced: (2)

Last edited by SaROCaM; 04-11-2018 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:29 AM

I also wanted to add that I'm finally getting my mids out to the 300 range too! Exciting times! I also overdrove a 200 ft hole with my R-Pro Aviar by a good 25-50 feet lol. Now I have new problems, overshooting the short holes, lol. Overshot a hole that was about 250 with my Mako3 doing a turnover anni shot as well lol. Time to start busting out those hyzer shots for these short holes now instead of trying to do line drives to help shorten them up again I don't do well with lowering my power level as much as just being more consistent with power and changing my disc/line.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:11 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 307 Times in 250 Posts

Putting in time in the field really will produce results. Gaining distance driving is harder than you think and takes lots of physical and mental ability.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
Putting in time in the field really will produce results. Gaining distance driving is harder than you think and takes lots of physical and mental ability.
I keep trying to tell this to my buddy, because I've seen REAL results from doing it.

He has always thrown forehand, and lately since I've been getting better he's been trying a bunch of stuff from videos to try to keep up with me and has been doing worse because he keeps changing stuff up. I keep telling him dude we gotta go out to the field sometime and I can show you some stuff to practice to be more consistent.

He just only ever wants to go play a round though at the course though haha.

Old 04-18-2018, 02:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 307 Times in 250 Posts

Quote:
I keep trying to tell this to my buddy, because I've seen REAL results from doing it.

He has always thrown forehand, and lately since I've been getting better he's been trying a bunch of stuff from videos to try to keep up with me and has been doing worse because he keeps changing stuff up. I keep telling him dude we gotta go out to the field sometime and I can show you some stuff to practice to be more consistent.

He just only ever wants to go play a round though at the course though haha.
Yeah. I've played DG for about 13 years. I don't play a ton and most of the time I'm not super "into" it. I play DG more as a wintertime leisure activity. This past year I got more into DG and started playing more. I also practiced more in the field throwing drives. It took a while, but at the end of it I gained about 50' consistently.

I'll never be Paul McBeth, but I can throw pretty far and accurately now. I'll attribute a lot of that to putting in the extra work. Knowing what disc to throw in certain situations is huge too.