Old 07-01-2020, 01:41 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 55 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastnav View Post
My question is whether this is even a late release?

And this is a legit question, not a statement masquerading as a question.

If I go frame by frame, it looks to me like when he gets to the power pocket, his elbow is pointed right down the line of where he releases. That's not a grip lock, or late release, it's some sort of alignment issue.

Here lately, one of the thing I have been wondering about is Tristan Tanner's "run"-up and how it seems like instead of throwing in line with his walk-up, he throws at about 90 degrees to it. It's ... very confusing. And every now and then I will "late release" a shot that feels like I really got a hold of, in terms of everything feeling in-sync and fluid, but the shot going waaayyy right.
I don't think it was an alignment issue by his reaction after he threw it. I think he intended to throw it down the middle similar to the 2nd player behind him. Even the next player does an "early release". It suggests the main cause is a mental hitch.

I agree that the way Tristan Tanner throws so different than his footwork is very confusing. I notice this with other players as well and it doesn't make sense from what I have learned.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2020, 02:33 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 46.1
Courses Played: 390
Niced 1,957 Times in 958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discbee View Post
When I do things like this (and it is more often than it should be) it is more mental. It seems I can throw fairly straight when the fairway is wide open, but as soon as there are trees or tunnels my accuracy goes down the drain. I need to improve my aim but knowing there is an obstacle right there makes it even worse.

That is why I carry a chainsaw with me, no course is going to exploit my weaknesses!
Perhaps when you are extra concerned about the direction of the disc you turn your head to watch the flight before you've completed the throw.
Old 07-01-2020, 04:01 PM

Courses Played: 4
Niced 24 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Perhaps when you are extra concerned about the direction of the disc you turn your head to watch the flight before you've completed the throw.
Good point, I will keep that in mind. I am sure it is easier said than done, but that could help alot.
Old 07-01-2020, 04:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 35
Niced 631 Times in 391 Posts

Quote:
Here lately, one of the thing I have been wondering about is Tristan Tanner's "run"-up and how it seems like instead of throwing in line with his walk-up, he throws at about 90 degrees to it. It's ... very confusing. And every now and then I will "late release" a shot that feels like I really got a hold of, in terms of everything feeling in-sync and fluid, but the shot going waaayyy right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odedge View Post
I agree that the way Tristan Tanner throws so different than his footwork is very confusing. I notice this with other players as well and it doesn't make sense from what I have learned.
I do the Tanner alignment, just not as extreme of an angle. I envision my hit point as being left of the actual line I want, meaning that both in terms of my run up and visualization I'm aiming at around 11:00 on the clockface. This helps me commit to my shots, because I know that I have to really get my lower body engaged in the throw or else I will miss way left and short. It does feel kind of like a controlled griplock.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 221
Niced 3,509 Times in 2,144 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odedge View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
I do the Tanner alignment, just not as extreme of an angle. I envision my hit point as being left of the actual line I want, meaning that both in terms of my run up and visualization I'm aiming at around 11:00 on the clockface. This helps me commit to my shots, because I know that I have to really get my lower body engaged in the throw or else I will miss way left and short. It does feel kind of like a controlled griplock.
It doesn't much matter what direction you move as long as you give your swing space to swing thru, your plant foot angle basically dictates your aim, most people the foot is about 90 degrees from target line.

Elephant Walk Drill
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=136487

Niced: (2)
Old 07-02-2020, 12:49 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 24
Niced 543 Times in 311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
It doesn't much matter what direction you move as long as you give your swing space to swing thru, your plant foot angle basically dictates your aim, most people the foot is about 90 degrees from target line.

Elephant Walk Drill
Finally cracked 300' with a putter the other day. 2 throws with Opto Pures into a mild headwind. Basically doing the elephant walk, although it was inspired by watching a few videos of Pete Sampras backhand. Ended up essentially the same thing. I knew it would help some but amazed me how walking near perpendicular to the line loaded my hips.

Niced: (1)

Old 07-02-2020, 08:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,438 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:

Obviously I don't have the power of Tristan, but I know exactly what you're talking about because that's the same thing I do. It's almost as if I've timed what I used to consider a griplock, to be my actual normal throw. I certainly get a lot more distance with less effort, and overall am more accurate (assuming I commit to the line properly, otherwise it will be an early release and go left of my intended line)

Niced: (2)