Old 07-03-2020, 01:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 883 Times in 684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Ogre View Post
I jinxed myself. Threw a solo round this morning, spent 5+ minutes finding discs twice. Got back to the car and thought “man, I’d really like to dial in my throw on 1 Black”. First throw Thunderbird landed in the open, but a touch shorter than I wanted, so I tried hyzerflipping a Valk. Too much hyzer and a little bit early release sent it into the shule on the left side of the fairway. Saw which tree it hit first and searched all around the base of it with no luck, it probably fought through and was deeper in the nasty. Gave up because I had to get home and do breakfast for the kids. RIP Pro Valkyrie.
It sucks. Most of the discs I've lost were doing field work in stupid spots. Or using the wrong disc for a particular shot.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 07-03-2020, 03:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 850 Times in 449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigles View Post
I calculate the cost of the disc vs my salary. It's just not financially reasonable for me to search for more than 15 minutes. (a bit like that story about Bill Gates who loses more money than he picks up if he spends one second on picking up a 100$ bill).
I kind of do the same thing, but I don't use my salary as part of the equation. I use my disposal income I'm willing to dispose on disc golf. Which usually means I don't leave a disc behind. I spent 45 minutes looking for a new plasma wave shanked into chest high grass. I don't have much extra money to spend on discs. And I'd rather spend that money elsewhere if possible. Maybe on new plastic instead of replacing old. That's just me.

Niced: (3)
Old 07-03-2020, 04:14 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 822 Times in 307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
I kind of do the same thing, but I don't use my salary as part of the equation. I use my disposal income I'm willing to dispose on disc golf. Which usually means I don't leave a disc behind. I spent 45 minutes looking for a new plasma wave shanked into chest high grass. I don't have much extra money to spend on discs. And I'd rather spend that money elsewhere if possible. Maybe on new plastic instead of replacing old. That's just me.
Yeah the salary equation really only works if you have the option of picking up extra work at your leisure. For a lot of us especially with the current economic situation, free time to look for a disc is in greater abundance that money to spend on a hobby.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-03-2020, 04:23 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 35.8
Courses Played: 177
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 128 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Yeah the salary equation really only works if you have the option of picking up extra work at your leisure. For a lot of us especially with the current economic situation, free time to look for a disc is in greater abundance that money to spend on a hobby.
I agree with you. Plus, I am cheap, so I've spent a lot of time looking for discs. I've been known to go back after a round (or the next day) trying to find a lost disc. And none of them were significantly valuable or irreplaceable.
Old 07-03-2020, 04:34 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 383 Times in 235 Posts

I will spend more time than I make at my income. I figure it's just extra exercise; and damn it feels good when you spend a little too long looking and it pays off

Old Yesterday, 02:00 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 822 Times in 307 Posts

Quote:
I jinxed myself. Threw a solo round this morning, spent 5+ minutes finding discs twice. Got back to the car and thought “man, I’d really like to dial in my throw on 1 Black”. First throw Thunderbird landed in the open, but a touch shorter than I wanted, so I tried hyzerflipping a Valk. Too much hyzer and a little bit early release sent it into the shule on the left side of the fairway. Saw which tree it hit first and searched all around the base of it with no luck, it probably fought through and was deeper in the nasty. Gave up because I had to get home and do breakfast for the kids. RIP Pro Valkyrie.
Update: got a text this afternoon from one of the locals that she’d found my disc and left it in the usual spot at the course. 3 hours later when I made it out there, someone had already walked off with it. People suck.

Old Yesterday, 08:33 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 63 Times in 38 Posts

I am the type that always looks for an hour, will stop my round and even go back the next day with proper supplies (water gear, poison oak clothes, loppers etc etc). I also stupidly play discs that are, special to me, and hard to replace. I've been working on not getting so attached to my discs lately for this very reason and playing more basic stuff. Very rarely do I lose a disc and not get it back.