Old 06-28-2016, 02:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 49.8
Courses Played: 4
Niced 167 Times in 109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr123psu View Post
What you're looking for is called a flex shot.
This
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2016, 02:03 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 438
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 94 Times in 48 Posts

Kind of. A flex shot makes an S shape though. He's asking about trying to throw straight starting with an Anny release. You can make tight S turns (flex shots) but you are not going to get lasers like you can with a perfectly executed hyzerflip.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:16 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 32.4
Courses Played: 43
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwingles View Post
this post, its bad
How so? It's an observation based on over 25 years of playing and interaction with other players. Tell me why you think I'm wrong.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:35 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 8
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Hyzer flip is a hyzer start, slight anhyzer during some of it's flight, and hyzer finish. The disc turning/flipping over is a struggle against the way it wants to go, so you're literally gaining distance as that resolves.
Starting anny means no hyzer start. You've only got two angles, anny to hyzer. Disc doesn't do any 'struggling' that gets you distance.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 124
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 722 Times in 338 Posts

If you're getting a disc up to speed over level ground (barring any odd wind shifts), the flight of the disc consists of high-speed turn followed by low-speed fade. In between those phases there's a cross-over point where the disc is not rolling to the left or the right (as viewed in the direction that the disc is flying).

The point of the straight "hyzer flip" shot is that it uses the high-speed turn early in the flight to get the disc into a neutral position (flat). When the high-speed turn phase of the flight is done, it leaves the disc in that flat/straight flight orientation (until the low-speed fade comes into play). With the right combination of stability and speed, that straight portion of the flight can go on for a while.

You can't achieve the same result if you start on an anhyzer angle because the phase of flight that brings the disc back to neutral/straight is the low-speed fade...so there's nothing after that, the disc is just fading out. You don't get to utilize the straight portion that comes between the high-speed and low-speed phases. In some weird circumstances you might be able to get the disc out of the low speed fade and into straight flight, like if you throw a downhill bomber where the disc is actually gaining speed, or if for some odd reason the disc suddenly sees a lot more headwind than it was experiencing when the fade brought the disc to level.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:18 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 2
Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

The confusion arises from the term 'overstable' which sound like the opposite of understable when, in fact, a disc can only be more or less understable - there is no overstable. It sometimes looks like overstable is a 'thing' because a disc with minimal understability thrown with insufficient speed will fade almost immediately without ever getting high speed turn. It also looks like overstability when a disc has monster fade. Stability (Turn) goes from zero (minimal understability) to -5, (maximum understability). There is no overstability. Anyone pitching a disc with a +1 or higher Turn is selling snakeoil.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:36 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 153 Times in 104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeardedFatGuy View Post
The confusion arises from the term 'overstable' which sound like the opposite of understable when, in fact, a disc can only be more or less understable - there is no overstable. It sometimes looks like overstable is a 'thing' because a disc with minimal understability thrown with insufficient speed will fade almost immediately without ever getting high speed turn. It also looks like overstability when a disc has monster fade. Stability (Turn) goes from zero (minimal understability) to -5, (maximum understability). There is no overstability. Anyone pitching a disc with a +1 or higher Turn is selling snakeoil.

That makes absolutely no sense. It's a completely subjective term and measurement with no uniformly defined scale. How can you say it's wrong when it doesn't even really measure anything?

That would be like going into an Asian restaurant and saying, you can't have spicy level 10, 9 is the hottest!
Old 06-28-2016, 07:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 50
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeardedFatGuy View Post
This is flat wrong. But also not why I stopped into this thread.

It is 100% possible to use a more stable to overstable disc thrown with a little anhyzer to get a dead flat flight path. Its REALLY hard, but it is totally doable. The biggest thing is height control. You need the disc to hit the ground before it has had enough time to fade back out. There are some top guys who make money with this shot as a bread and butter. Doss with his Z preds and forces comes to mind but there are others as well. Certainly the hyzer flip is the more common straight travelling fairway line, but the straight anhyzer with an OS disc is a thing.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:56 PM
Michael Moore Fan Club President

Years Playing: 28.6
Courses Played: 58
Niced 9 Times in 7 Posts

I use flippy for disc that flip.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 183
Niced 669 Times in 444 Posts

In my book (which will get corrected, I'm sure), "flippy" means turn in the initial phase of flight, aka "high speed turn" as someone else mentioned. Of discs I've thrown, the Nuke SS, Daedalus, and a beat-up DX Leopard all come to mind.

For the OP, I suppose I disagree with your example of using the Katana. I throw lots of Katana forehand shots for good distance, and it has way too much high speed turn for me to be able to throw a "flex shot" as you describe. For me this will turn into a forehand roller or a forehand turnover shot, unless I tone down the speed quite a bit. Instead of using lower effort with a Katana, I disc down to something like a star Teebird. Of course, there are all kinds of Katanas out there, and I haven't thrown them all!