Old 06-28-2016, 12:59 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Hyzer Flip Reversed?

So this might be a stupid question, but I am going to ask it anyway, because it seems like a good idea.

I understand the concept (though the execution of is another story entirely) of hyzer flipping a disc. You take an understable disc, you release it on a hyzer, and the natural tendency to turn will bring the disc from hyzer to flat and let it fly straight. When I throw RHBH I struggle with release angle all the time, so the fact I can't do this well, isn't shocking.

Here is my question though. Could the same thing work in reverse? As a RHFH thrower, I have had some of my best drives by taking a high speed US disc (katana) and releasing it on a bit of an anhyzer just to overemphasize the s-curve flight path. Could I take a OS disc, throw it on an Anhyzer, and will it pop up (down?) flat and fly straight? I can't say I have tried this, I was just thinking, "Hey I can't hyzer flip, maybe I can try to anhyzer flip something with a forehand toss." Am I nuts, or does this work?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2016, 01:03 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 44
Niced 46 Times in 20 Posts

Nuts
Old 06-28-2016, 01:03 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 81
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

What you're looking for is called a flex shot.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 53
Niced 15 Times in 12 Posts

It won't really flip down to flat, you have to find the right height and angle to give the disc time to fight out of the anhyzer. Too much height and it will stall out, not enough and it's gonna hold the anny into the ground and cut roll.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 209
Niced 311 Times in 166 Posts

I understand what you're asking. To answer your question, not really. Think of disc flight as two phases:

1. High speed turn
2. Low speed fade

High speed turn is a gauge on how much turn a disc will have with different release speeds (assuming constant spin). A more understable disc will turn more, a more stable disc is more resistant to turn. A lot of your overstable discs that you forehand are resistant to turn.

Low speed fade is what happens to a disc once it runs out of spin... A disc with a lot of low speed fade will want to find the ground fast and will begin to nose dive (thus changing the angle of the disc, which takes it in the specified direction aka fade). A disc with little low speed fade tends to stay pretty neutral and not change angles as much which would cause it to not deviate from trajectory as much when it runs out of spin.

So back to your point... Yes, you can release a less stable disc on a hyzer and have the high speed turn cause it to flip to flat and go straight. No, you cant throw a more overstable disc on an anhyzer and have it "anhyzer flip" to straight because, as we mentioned, those discs are RESISTANT to turn, thus they hold the initial angle of release. What will happen with the more overstable disc is the low speed fade will kick in sooner which will pull the disc out of the anhyzer release, but it will also cause it to continue changing angles as it fades and finds the ground. You will get an S-flight pattern instead of a straight pattern.

Hope that helped.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:28 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 23
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradus View Post
Nuts
I am okay that this was the first response.

To the rest of you, thank you! I appreciate the very informative responses. It has been a few years since I have been able to play regularly, so picking up my bag from two years ago, I find myself going, "What was it I used to do with this?" more than I care to admit.

Another stupid question:

So a flippy disc is one that is more prone to turn? Since an OS disc is resistant to turn, and a US is prone to it, does that mean all flippy discs are US? Or how should I be using the term flippy?
Old 06-28-2016, 01:41 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 103
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Flippy = Understable in my book. I use the terms interchangeably
Old 06-28-2016, 01:47 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 32.4
Courses Played: 43
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDinIN View Post
I am okay that this was the first response.

To the rest of you, thank you! I appreciate the very informative responses. It has been a few years since I have been able to play regularly, so picking up my bag from two years ago, I find myself going, "What was it I used to do with this?" more than I care to admit.

Another stupid question:

So a flippy disc is one that is more prone to turn? Since an OS disc is resistant to turn, and a US is prone to it, does that mean all flippy discs are US? Or how should I be using the term flippy?
You shouldn't be using it, lol. "Flippy" is a stupid word. The Big-arms throw us discs too hard and get a "turn & burn" because they can't power-down enough to throw a finess shot so they lable the disc as "too flippy", but most times it's just operator error, lol. "Too flippy" is code for "I can throw a country mile, but that's my best trick".
Old 06-28-2016, 01:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 72
Niced 27 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseleereed View Post
You shouldn't be using it, lol. "Flippy" is a stupid word. The Big-arms throw us discs too hard and get a "turn & burn" because they can't power-down enough to throw a finess shot so they lable the disc as "too flippy", but most times it's just operator error, lol. "Too flippy" is code for "I can throw a country mile, but that's my best trick".
this post, its bad

Old 06-28-2016, 01:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 438
Niced 95 Times in 49 Posts

Flippy is understable. Correct.

To sum up the flex forehand question. The problem is that you are getting from anhyzer to flat via fade and there is no reason for the disc to stay at flat rather than just pass it up and go towards the ground. Hyzerflips work great because you go past the amount of spin the disc can handle and it (hopefully) stabilizes at the optimal amount of spin. As it slows down even more it goes into less spin than the disc needs to stay up and fades towards the ground.