Old 09-28-2017, 02:23 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 19 Times in 9 Posts

I tend to agree it's too many divisions, but I understand why it makes sense for some, especially at the upper ages. From personal experience I can tell you the decline in most performance factors drops steeply from 55-on, but precipitously from mid-60s.

I'm 67 this year, and my five MS1 appearances in Am Worlds since 2011 have resulted in two world titles, two 2nds and a 3rd. But I've lost 60-to-80 feet off my best drives in the last five years, making it tough to compete against young-buck 59 and 60 year olds. The best examination of this I've read is Chuck Kennedy's "Hanging On" here:
https://www.pdga.com/hanging

Not sure how much difference it'll make in the end. Even in the Charlotte region where we have a strong base of GMs and Sr. GMs, events often collapse Seniors into GMs and GMs into Masters anyway.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (3)
Old 09-28-2017, 02:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.9
Courses Played: 140
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 690 Times in 319 Posts

I don't think it makes any difference at all except at the largest events that have the attendance enough to populate each of the divisions. At local B and C-tier events and probably most A-tiers, it won't have any impact at all.

Let's keep in mind that just because all these divisions are an option, TDs are under ZERO obligation to offer/hold them all. A wise TD will select the ones that will get interest and ignore the rest. No reason to allow players to sign up for MA65 if you think there will only be one. Let that one sign up for MA50 or MA60 or whatever is offered rather than have to move them around on tournament day.

Niced: (4)
Old 09-28-2017, 02:38 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to billmh

It will be interesting here in SoCal as well, where we have a sizable Grandmaster player base. A worthy experiment to try, as several of us are walking/limping testimonies to the difference five-year blocks make. For those who are concerned about diluting the divisions, let the experiment run its course and people decide where they want to play. Maybe we will learn something and encourage the continued participation of 58 or 63 year-olds who don't want to be punked by people who can throw 80 feet further.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:39 PM
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 126
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 261 Times in 167 Posts
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcAtee View Post
In my 8 years experience, I've encountered one person that complained about competing at 49 years old against a 40 year old.
Ok?

The new breaks of 5 years don't start until the 50s. So Not sure your point?

Niced: (1)
Old 09-28-2017, 02:40 PM
I think I'm important

Key things to remember:

- TDs don't have to offer a division if they don't want to.
- This mainly is intended to be used at the world's and other large scale events, not your local c tier.
- Numbers continue to be our sports biggest issue. This may not be the answer, but it's an attempt to increase numbers
- This will not be in effect for the worlds in 2018.

Old 09-28-2017, 03:43 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 407
Niced 24 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
Ok?

The new breaks of 5 years don't start until the 50s. So Not sure your point?
I understand that. How are you not sure of my point? I've played numerous tournaments over 8 years and only heard one person over 40 voice their complaint about the 10 year age gap of their protected division.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:46 PM
I think I'm important

Quote:
I understand that. How are you not sure of my point? I've played numerous tournaments over 8 years and only heard one person over 40 voice their complaint about the 10 year age gap of their protected division.
This makes more sense than the way you originally put it. Thanks for clarifying. I see what you are saying now.

Old 09-28-2017, 04:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 83
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
In my 8 years experience, I've encountered one person that complained about competing at 49 years old against a 40 year old.
However, this change now gives them the opportunity to.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:20 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.5
Courses Played: 38
Niced 78 Times in 43 Posts

I can't wait to see what kind of chaos this creates at age-protected tournaments next year. I'll be in a different division, but I don't know about the rest of the guys as I don't know their actual ages, only that they're between 60 and 70. It could get interesting when they find out who they DON'T have to compete against anymore, and you just might see some different names on top of the leader board at some of these masters tourneys.

Old 09-28-2017, 05:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 39
Niced 52 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmh View Post
It will be interesting here in SoCal as well, where we have a sizable Grandmaster player base. A worthy experiment to try, as several of us are walking/limping testimonies to the difference five-year blocks make. For those who are concerned about diluting the divisions, let the experiment run its course and people decide where they want to play. Maybe we will learn something and encourage the continued participation of 58 or 63 year-olds who don't want to be punked by people who can throw 80 feet further.
First, Get off my lawn!

That said, I doubt there will be much experimentation as the elder divisions will not be offered in the vast majority of tournaments (as said above). TDs are biased toward to 20-40 year old demographic because those divisions can be relied on to fill quickly. A TD doesn't want the uncertainty of a slow fill or the hassle of reassigning players, nor does a TD want to to buy additional trophies or have other division specific duties or expenses.

This is fact in the Portland area, and extends to the further end of rating protected divisions -- we rarely see MA3 and virtually never see MA4 (or juniors).

I would like to see the PDGA require state coordinators to actively promote at least one sanctioned tournament a year with all divisions represented -- or at least offered. Maybe a subsidized state championship?