#21  
Old 04-18-2018, 12:56 AM
Sydex Sydex is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Anywhere, TX
Courses Played: 9
Posts: 434
Niced 163 Times in 112 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post

Has anyone tried tennis (as in made for the sport tennis) shoes? I tried an old non-comfortable pair today and they worked pretty well. I thought maybe since they are made more for lateral movement they might hold up better than running shoes that are made pretty much for straight movement.
I play in Barricades, played in Barricades since my HS varsity tennis days (read since Barricade IV). I’ve been playing in tennis shoes for years and advocate for their use in every shoe thread I find on reddit and elsewhere. You’re absolutely right, they hold up so much better than even hiking shoes due to how tough they are and their lateral support. The toe area is more reinforced than pretty much any other shoe so you wont find a durability problem there as well.

On and off the tee I believe tennis shoes are the superior shoe for disc golf. I’ve yet to play a course I found too rocky or hilly to make me wish I had something else. The only time I wished I had another shoe was when I played a course thay was muddy.
Sponsored Links

Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-29-2018, 09:53 PM
broomerang broomerang is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: OH
Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,281
Niced 832 Times in 360 Posts
Default

I play in Vibram five fingers. I like these ones. Mostly because I do everything I can in them now, they have eliminated all of my foot problems. I haven't lost any distance, mobility, etc. I'm not worried about injury, in fact I have less injuries since switching.

They have lasted longer than my Keen's and my Merrels did in the past.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-05-2018, 09:40 AM
texasissouth's Avatar
texasissouth texasissouth is online now
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Northern Virginia
Years Playing: 5.6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 968
Niced 474 Times in 292 Posts
Default

I was actually looking at a pair of actual tennis shoes, Air Max Cage in my trunk and was thinking about how well they would stand up to tee pad use. My concern would be grass/turf/dirt grip compared the trail running shoes. Are there any like hybrid Tennis shoe with trail bottom pattern?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydex View Post
I play in Barricades, played in Barricades since my HS varsity tennis days (read since Barricade IV). I’ve been playing in tennis shoes for years and advocate for their use in every shoe thread I find on reddit and elsewhere. You’re absolutely right, they hold up so much better than even hiking shoes due to how tough they are and their lateral support. The toe area is more reinforced than pretty much any other shoe so you wont find a durability problem there as well.

On and off the tee I believe tennis shoes are the superior shoe for disc golf. I’ve yet to play a course I found too rocky or hilly to make me wish I had something else. The only time I wished I had another shoe was when I played a course thay was muddy.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-05-2018, 01:54 PM
Sydex Sydex is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Anywhere, TX
Courses Played: 9
Posts: 434
Niced 163 Times in 112 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasissouth View Post
I was actually looking at a pair of actual tennis shoes, Air Max Cage in my trunk and was thinking about how well they would stand up to tee pad use. My concern would be grass/turf/dirt grip compared the trail running shoes. Are there any like hybrid Tennis shoe with trail bottom pattern?
Hard court tennis shoes are designed to run on, slide on, and really take a beating on concrete surfaces. They’re actually a lot more durable than trail shoes on a teepad because they were designed for that surface and for the lateral movement stress that tennis puts on a shoe. Also, you spend less time on concrete during a round of DG than when playing tennis. I would recommend giving them a shot during a round. you might realize they’re better overall, as I have. I’ve played all the big courses from Dallas to the RGV and some of the little local gems in ATX. The only time I thought another shoe was needed was after a storm and the course was muddy. But then, even hiking shoes probably wouldn’t have mattered.

Though, to answer, not that I’m aware of. Hard court shoes will be the most durable and provide the most traction of tennis shoes. Clay court and grass court shoes are typically softer soled shoes. I wouldn’t try either. Hard court shoes work for me on and off the tee. I’ve never had any slippage that wasn’t obviously guaranteed to happen (excessive pebbles on dry dirt which was an old abandoned maintenance road). Best really is to just play a round in the shoes and see how it goes for you.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-05-2018, 03:02 PM
Grippenripp Grippenripp is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Morrow OH.
Courses Played: 9
Posts: 2,324
Niced 727 Times in 508 Posts
Default

Still gonna say merrel Moab and all out blaze
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-05-2018, 04:08 PM
texasissouth's Avatar
texasissouth texasissouth is online now
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Northern Virginia
Years Playing: 5.6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 968
Niced 474 Times in 292 Posts
Default

Contrary to what everyone assumes from my username I'm actually in VA so I deal with a lot of dirt and leaves and wet grass from summer rains. I'll definitely try them sometime when I have a chance however. Right now the closest park to me is gravel and turf tees so not the place to try it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydex View Post
Hard court tennis shoes are designed to run on, slide on, and really take a beating on concrete surfaces. They’re actually a lot more durable than trail shoes on a teepad because they were designed for that surface and for the lateral movement stress that tennis puts on a shoe. Also, you spend less time on concrete during a round of DG than when playing tennis. I would recommend giving them a shot during a round. you might realize they’re better overall, as I have. I’ve played all the big courses from Dallas to the RGV and some of the little local gems in ATX. The only time I thought another shoe was needed was after a storm and the course was muddy. But then, even hiking shoes probably wouldn’t have mattered.

Though, to answer, not that I’m aware of. Hard court shoes will be the most durable and provide the most traction of tennis shoes. Clay court and grass court shoes are typically softer soled shoes. I wouldn’t try either. Hard court shoes work for me on and off the tee. I’ve never had any slippage that wasn’t obviously guaranteed to happen (excessive pebbles on dry dirt which was an old abandoned maintenance road). Best really is to just play a round in the shoes and see how it goes for you.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-05-2018, 04:24 PM
Sydex Sydex is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Anywhere, TX
Courses Played: 9
Posts: 434
Niced 163 Times in 112 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasissouth View Post
Contrary to what everyone assumes from my username I'm actually in VA so I deal with a lot of dirt and leaves and wet grass from summer rains. I'll definitely try them sometime when I have a chance however. Right now the closest park to me is gravel and turf tees so not the place to try it out.
I would still say try it out, play a putter round and see how it goes. My home courses are similar. One is a sea of decaying leaves year round that doubles as a storm creek (McClain in San Antonio) and the other is at a nine-basket course that’s nothing but short, always dying, grass and hard dirt with mesquite beans on the ground (Daffodil in McAllen).
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-06-2018, 09:44 AM
robdeforge robdeforge is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Courses Played: 1
Posts: 612
Niced 339 Times in 175 Posts
Default

I got 2 pairs of Brooks Cascadia 11 GTX shoes towards the end of the season last year and they have been amazing so far. I also picked up a used pair of the non GTX one, so for about $180 I got 3 pairs of shoes. They seem to be holding up perfectly so far, through about probably ~30 rounds and some everyday usage.

FWIW I throw about 350-400 on flat ground, but hardly play on any concrete teepads. The majority of VT courses have crushed gravel or other kinds of teepads, so I can't speak to how these shoes hold up under those conditions.

http://www.brooksrunning.com/en_us/b...en/110264.html

Unfortunately looks like you can only buy the newer version now, which I can't personally attest to. But I'll probably try to pick up another pair at some point, hopefully from an outlet store
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-07-2018, 03:27 PM
broomerang broomerang is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: OH
Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,281
Niced 832 Times in 360 Posts
Default

I wouldn't recommend Brooks or any running shoe on concrete teepads. They won't last a season if you play more than once a week.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
 

  #30  
Old 05-27-2018, 04:22 PM
Casey 1988 Casey 1988 is offline
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Pierre, South Dakota, USA
Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 6,892
Niced 1,147 Times in 953 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
I'll definitely look into all of these recommendations!!!

Has anyone tried tennis (as in made for the sport tennis) shoes? I tried an old non-comfortable pair today and they worked pretty well. I thought maybe since they are made more for lateral movement they might hold up better than running shoes that are made pretty much for straight movement.

Again, I appreciate the recommendations.

TripleB
Nope but I have seen used very well are indoor Soccer Shoes, the kind with flat sole. They are all leather/fake so they do not let water and stuff in and have the ability for lateral movement. I use my shoes I wear for work in summer play the no slip oil resitent black Ktchen shoes, Fila brand ones. They keep feet drier in minimal wet grass and have the ability to not rip like some of the mesh in trail running shoes and now some low cut hikers.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shoe recommendations for wide feet sydsdaddy Other Gear 54 04-08-2018 04:02 AM
Shoe Advice? TheBeardedFatGuy Other Gear 5 03-11-2016 07:27 AM
Shoe Question Joemic Other Gear 20 07-01-2013 12:15 AM
Shoe deals? erock216 General Disc Golf Chat 40 04-28-2012 01:59 PM
Shoe weight? bazillion Discs 55 05-18-2010 01:34 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.