Old 04-18-2018, 12:56 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 163 Times in 112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post

Has anyone tried tennis (as in made for the sport tennis) shoes? I tried an old non-comfortable pair today and they worked pretty well. I thought maybe since they are made more for lateral movement they might hold up better than running shoes that are made pretty much for straight movement.
I play in Barricades, played in Barricades since my HS varsity tennis days (read since Barricade IV). I’ve been playing in tennis shoes for years and advocate for their use in every shoe thread I find on reddit and elsewhere. You’re absolutely right, they hold up so much better than even hiking shoes due to how tough they are and their lateral support. The toe area is more reinforced than pretty much any other shoe so you wont find a durability problem there as well.

On and off the tee I believe tennis shoes are the superior shoe for disc golf. I’ve yet to play a course I found too rocky or hilly to make me wish I had something else. The only time I wished I had another shoe was when I played a course thay was muddy.
Sponsored Links

Old 04-29-2018, 09:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 832 Times in 360 Posts

I play in Vibram five fingers. I like these ones. Mostly because I do everything I can in them now, they have eliminated all of my foot problems. I haven't lost any distance, mobility, etc. I'm not worried about injury, in fact I have less injuries since switching.

They have lasted longer than my Keen's and my Merrels did in the past.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:40 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Niced 474 Times in 292 Posts

I was actually looking at a pair of actual tennis shoes, Air Max Cage in my trunk and was thinking about how well they would stand up to tee pad use. My concern would be grass/turf/dirt grip compared the trail running shoes. Are there any like hybrid Tennis shoe with trail bottom pattern?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydex View Post
I play in Barricades, played in Barricades since my HS varsity tennis days (read since Barricade IV). I’ve been playing in tennis shoes for years and advocate for their use in every shoe thread I find on reddit and elsewhere. You’re absolutely right, they hold up so much better than even hiking shoes due to how tough they are and their lateral support. The toe area is more reinforced than pretty much any other shoe so you wont find a durability problem there as well.

On and off the tee I believe tennis shoes are the superior shoe for disc golf. I’ve yet to play a course I found too rocky or hilly to make me wish I had something else. The only time I wished I had another shoe was when I played a course thay was muddy.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-05-2018, 01:54 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasissouth View Post
I was actually looking at a pair of actual tennis shoes, Air Max Cage in my trunk and was thinking about how well they would stand up to tee pad use. My concern would be grass/turf/dirt grip compared the trail running shoes. Are there any like hybrid Tennis shoe with trail bottom pattern?
Hard court tennis shoes are designed to run on, slide on, and really take a beating on concrete surfaces. They’re actually a lot more durable than trail shoes on a teepad because they were designed for that surface and for the lateral movement stress that tennis puts on a shoe. Also, you spend less time on concrete during a round of DG than when playing tennis. I would recommend giving them a shot during a round. you might realize they’re better overall, as I have. I’ve played all the big courses from Dallas to the RGV and some of the little local gems in ATX. The only time I thought another shoe was needed was after a storm and the course was muddy. But then, even hiking shoes probably wouldn’t have mattered.

Though, to answer, not that I’m aware of. Hard court shoes will be the most durable and provide the most traction of tennis shoes. Clay court and grass court shoes are typically softer soled shoes. I wouldn’t try either. Hard court shoes work for me on and off the tee. I’ve never had any slippage that wasn’t obviously guaranteed to happen (excessive pebbles on dry dirt which was an old abandoned maintenance road). Best really is to just play a round in the shoes and see how it goes for you.

Old 05-05-2018, 03:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 727 Times in 508 Posts

Still gonna say merrel Moab and all out blaze
Old 05-05-2018, 04:08 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Niced 474 Times in 292 Posts

Contrary to what everyone assumes from my username I'm actually in VA so I deal with a lot of dirt and leaves and wet grass from summer rains. I'll definitely try them sometime when I have a chance however. Right now the closest park to me is gravel and turf tees so not the place to try it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydex View Post
Hard court tennis shoes are designed to run on, slide on, and really take a beating on concrete surfaces. They’re actually a lot more durable than trail shoes on a teepad because they were designed for that surface and for the lateral movement stress that tennis puts on a shoe. Also, you spend less time on concrete during a round of DG than when playing tennis. I would recommend giving them a shot during a round. you might realize they’re better overall, as I have. I’ve played all the big courses from Dallas to the RGV and some of the little local gems in ATX. The only time I thought another shoe was needed was after a storm and the course was muddy. But then, even hiking shoes probably wouldn’t have mattered.

Though, to answer, not that I’m aware of. Hard court shoes will be the most durable and provide the most traction of tennis shoes. Clay court and grass court shoes are typically softer soled shoes. I wouldn’t try either. Hard court shoes work for me on and off the tee. I’ve never had any slippage that wasn’t obviously guaranteed to happen (excessive pebbles on dry dirt which was an old abandoned maintenance road). Best really is to just play a round in the shoes and see how it goes for you.
Old 05-05-2018, 04:24 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasissouth View Post
Contrary to what everyone assumes from my username I'm actually in VA so I deal with a lot of dirt and leaves and wet grass from summer rains. I'll definitely try them sometime when I have a chance however. Right now the closest park to me is gravel and turf tees so not the place to try it out.
I would still say try it out, play a putter round and see how it goes. My home courses are similar. One is a sea of decaying leaves year round that doubles as a storm creek (McClain in San Antonio) and the other is at a nine-basket course that’s nothing but short, always dying, grass and hard dirt with mesquite beans on the ground (Daffodil in McAllen).
Old 05-06-2018, 09:44 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 339 Times in 175 Posts

I got 2 pairs of Brooks Cascadia 11 GTX shoes towards the end of the season last year and they have been amazing so far. I also picked up a used pair of the non GTX one, so for about $180 I got 3 pairs of shoes. They seem to be holding up perfectly so far, through about probably ~30 rounds and some everyday usage.

FWIW I throw about 350-400 on flat ground, but hardly play on any concrete teepads. The majority of VT courses have crushed gravel or other kinds of teepads, so I can't speak to how these shoes hold up under those conditions.

http://www.brooksrunning.com/en_us/b...en/110264.html

Unfortunately looks like you can only buy the newer version now, which I can't personally attest to. But I'll probably try to pick up another pair at some point, hopefully from an outlet store
Old 05-07-2018, 03:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 24
Niced 832 Times in 360 Posts

I wouldn't recommend Brooks or any running shoe on concrete teepads. They won't last a season if you play more than once a week.

Old 05-27-2018, 04:22 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,147 Times in 953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
I'll definitely look into all of these recommendations!!!

Has anyone tried tennis (as in made for the sport tennis) shoes? I tried an old non-comfortable pair today and they worked pretty well. I thought maybe since they are made more for lateral movement they might hold up better than running shoes that are made pretty much for straight movement.

Again, I appreciate the recommendations.

TripleB
Nope but I have seen used very well are indoor Soccer Shoes, the kind with flat sole. They are all leather/fake so they do not let water and stuff in and have the ability for lateral movement. I use my shoes I wear for work in summer play the no slip oil resitent black Ktchen shoes, Fila brand ones. They keep feet drier in minimal wet grass and have the ability to not rip like some of the mesh in trail running shoes and now some low cut hikers.