Old 03-30-2020, 10:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 12
Niced 571 Times in 396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogden View Post
You ever try giants for that....I ve never us ed d the war horse....sounds like you bomb em
IIRC Moose used to throw Giants, but found that Warhorses were better for him.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2020, 08:08 PM
Par Member

Niced 74 Times in 40 Posts

So I shouldn't have read this thread because it made me think I needed one of these. I have had a Jessica Weese swirled star but didn't jive with it because it is flat, low glide, too dumpy, and as an Innova swirl, it looks like a muddy pinkish blur. BUT, I think this particular run must have just molded up weird. When I look at OTB, I see all the ones for this run showing as being board flat which is consistent with mine.

Fast forward several months and I decide to try something. Not long ago, I was content with my Wraiths. Then I threw my friend's beat in star destroyer and decided I needed one. So then I bought a bunch of destroyers and find them very similar distance wise as my Wraiths but with a more dependable fade. I can get destroyers to turn as much as a wraith and get similar distance, but for the same turn and distance, the destroyer is more reliable in its fade. Its not much of a difference at my max distance of 400'ish. I would imagine someone with 450' of reliable power would find destroyers to go about the same distance as a wraith but a little more dependable fade.

To make a long story short, too late, I have had a few guys who can't throw as far as I do getting close to me with Shrykes - so obviously something had to be done. I broke out the Weese swirly star and reaffirmed my belief that shryke's were terrible. Then I saw the OTB dome ratings and realized that the Weese run may be an anomaly.

Enter the shryke. So I bought a 171g standard star run off infinite. I was still skeptical and thought I have some lower stability destoyers (gstar, pro pfn) which are probably basically the same as a shryke. I also have a 3 line AJ destoyer that is almost destrulcan looking in that it has a very linear shoulder and then breaks into a slight dome. The shryke has that wedge shape where the shoulder is straightish rather than a curvey.

Feel wise, the shryke is very similar to a destroyer but slightly more comfortable for me. I think it having slightly less depth keeps my indix fingers first knuckle from digging into the bottom of the flight plate so much. I generally prefer wraiths because of the smaller rim but the shryke is a nice compromise with the width of a destroyer but slightly more comfortable due to the depth.

Today, I went out to a wide open 400' hole, with a bag full of drivers and my 6 year old on the speed gun. I was throwing wraiths (pfn pro & star of varying stability), destroyers (current gstar, pfn pro, aj 3 line), an echo star DD3, and my new star shryke - all 171-175g. Conditions were pretty windy with gusts close to 10 MPH mostly left to right but slightly into me as well.

I only got to throw each 3 times today but the shryke was consistently the longest. It is definitely not the most dependable. I was kind of surprised to see it turn over as much as it would brand new but man its long.

The gummy AJ and PFN pro destroyers were the shortest, which sucks because I love that AJ. The gstar destroyer, star wraiths, and echo DD3 flew similarly and got nice distance with a dependable faded for me. The destroyer has half a season of mileage, the wraiths maybe 10 rounds, and the DD3 was unthrown. The longest two discs were the PFN pro wraith (played with a bit but never in trees) and the shryke.

For my best throws with these two, and my daughter on the speed gun, I hyzered the wraith out 62 mph (highest I was hitting today) and it popped, drifted right hard, and finally fought out right before the ground. Shryke came next at 60 and followed a very similar line (unfortunately both were 50' right of the target...). I thought the wraith was the longest but when I got out there, the shryke had it by 25'. Wow, I thought, this thing bombs.

I am concerned about control, but man this thing is fast and glidey. It does remind me of a valk in that it goes further than you think when you throw it. Really nice disc.

Anyway, these were my first impressions. It is going in the bag for now. Let me know your current impressions of different available runs and stability.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:15 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 65 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkles View Post
Anyway, these were my first impressions. It is going in the bag for now. Let me know your current impressions of different available runs and stability.
Sounds like you had a lot of fun!
My sample size is only two, stock star 171g right around when star was a new release practice: great for max distance for a long time, still awesome for distance sidearms (when wind isn't a concern) but after living in kansas for a few years it has been traded to someone who throws slightly slower than me so they get the best flight out of it.

I now sometimes carry a XXL stamp (I think that's what it is) Star Shryke that claims its 175 but I scaled it at 177.. Holy cow this thing bombs, I believe it is without a doubt my farthest throwing disc when I get the nose angle right. Its fairly stable if thrown on hyzer, but if thrown on accidental anny it will not come out. It's a great run and from what I understand Star seem to be the glidiest plastic its molded up in and I haven't heard of run-to-run variation.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-14-2020, 11:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 944 Times in 729 Posts

Nice read! Long, but worth it. I fully agree that not all Shrykes are good. I have quite a few of them now (20+) in all plastics. I have one color glow Carina Nowles Shryke that is probably my worst one. Really flat and pretty glideless. The disc will turn over easily, but then wants to fade hard too soon.

IMO a good Shryke needs some dome. I've thrown a few flat ones and I don't like them. I've had good luck with star, G* and champion. Champion Shrykes can be almost beefy at times, but they'll still bomb. G*s are probably the longest (also the flippiest).

With Shrykes I generally aim left of the target (RHBH) and let the disc float right in an exaggerated S curve. Done right it'll end up pretty much on line and well over 400' away. Shrykes aren't very good wind discs. They'll do OK downwind, but suck crosswind or upwind.

The only other Innova mold I can get similar distance with is the Katana.

Old 04-14-2020, 11:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Furthermore, I don't think run makes a huge difference with Shrykes. I've thrown a whole bunch of them since they came out. For the most part the Shryke is a pretty consistent mold. I see very few oddballs that don't fly right.

Dome is the key. The domier the Shryke the more it'll bomb. All 3 plastics will work. Heavy G*s absolutely defy gravity. They'll do 450' pretty easily.

Obviously with a Shryke you're going to get that flippy, floaty glide. It isn't a mold I use when accuracy is of grave importance. When you absolutely want to throw as far as possible the Shryke will get you there though.

Old 04-14-2020, 02:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.4
Courses Played: 250
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,010 Times in 1,411 Posts

I find that Westside Kings, in the high 150's outdistance my Shrykes.

Old 04-14-2020, 02:37 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 65 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
Furthermore, I don't think run makes a huge difference with Shrykes.
Dome is the key.
Agreed. My newer one that crushes is one of the domiest discs that I have bought in the last 3 years, and it just flies out of the hand fast and glides for days.

Old 04-14-2020, 03:20 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,492 Times in 950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogden View Post
You ever try giants for that....I ve never us ed d the war horse....sounds like you bomb em
Giant goes far, for sure, but if I snap it hard I have no idea where it will land. Working on that though, as I think it could be the disc that helps me hit 500 on the reg. Hitting 475 with a Warhorse 2/5 now so I have to think a good OS Giant would go farther. If I ever get to a field again that’s my next project.

Old 04-14-2020, 03:21 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,492 Times in 950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSMGS18 View Post
IIRC Moose used to throw Giants, but found that Warhorses were better for him.
That is correct, 450 with accuracy is very comforting to me.

Old 04-14-2020, 04:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
I find that Westside Kings, in the high 150's outdistance my Shrykes.
A King will fly as far as a Shryke, but its noticeably flippier and really touchy. If you get over on a King even a little bit it'll go dive bombing right into the ground. Shrykes are more resistant to totally turning over.

I'd say the same thing about the Destiny. I was mashing on a Destiny a couple weeks ago, but it kept wanting to turn over.