Old 04-27-2020, 03:41 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 163 Times in 112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
Anyone know what plastic is the most stable?

Recently switched to DX Aviars for putting and throwing, but DX beats in pretty quick. Are champs or stars more stable as throwers?

And no, I don't care for the 3, X3 versions or P2's, just want the simple Aviar.
Been throwing Aviars as a driving putter for a decade now, Star is the most stable, Champion is a little less, DX is somewhere in the mix after Champion and R-pro has the most glide. I've never personally thrown a GStar, but my Brother does and it's similar to DX. McPro/Tour Series Pro is like a beat champ and a little more stable than a DX.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 04-27-2020, 05:29 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 732 Times in 337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydex View Post
Been throwing Aviars as a driving putter for a decade now, Star is the most stable, Champion is a little less, DX is somewhere in the mix after Champion and R-pro has the most glide. I've never personally thrown a GStar, but my Brother does and it's similar to DX. McPro/Tour Series Pro is like a beat champ and a little more stable than a DX.
Interesting...how much of a difference did you find between Star and Champ? Wondering because I didn't find too much of a difference, but if I had to pick, my Star seemed less stable.

Probably a sample size issue, as I only threw them for a little while.

This thread is making me want to put my Champ Aviars back in the bag.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:37 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 163 Times in 112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaROCaM View Post
Interesting...how much of a difference did you find between Star and Champ? Wondering because I didn't find too much of a difference, but if I had to pick, my Star seemed less stable.

Probably a sample size issue, as I only threw them for a little while.

This thread is making me want to put my Champ Aviars back in the bag.
A CAviar is a wonderful disc.

In my experience, the newer Stars are way more stable. The two I've bought within the last year are almost P2 stable. My old Two-ring ones, I will contend there isn't much, but the ones after that were pretty noticeable too. I would hit them out to ~300' and they'd stay stable where as a CAviar would not be as stable unless I gave it slight hyzer and height. Also, looking at them now, most my CAviars develop puddle tops. My Stars are still relatively flat. Idk if that's just some fluke of mine or if others can report the same.

I suppose, overall they've gotten more stable over the years. I guess I can get a new CAviar and see. I don't have any with the new circle stamp.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:40 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 220
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,584 Times in 826 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaine View Post
anywhere in the Midwest. michigan here and we smashhhh trees
He said they're specifically for upshots which sounds like 200' and in to me. I'm not sure I would consider that deserving of all the emphasis on smash, but cool.
Old 04-28-2020, 03:56 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 193 Times in 104 Posts

Love how the OP claims to putt 100% in 25 feet... Bahaha
Old 04-28-2020, 05:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,941 Times in 846 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
Where are you playing that upshots with a DX Aviar season it quickly?
Lots of trees and rough ground on two of my local 9 hole courses. I play lots of putter only rounds, especially now with all the other courses closed.

When life gets back to normal, a couple of fresh DX Aviars will probably do just fine.
Old 04-28-2020, 11:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.4
Niced 1,397 Times in 613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
Anyone know what plastic is the most stable?
I set out to find the answer to this question last year.
When I was at Innova East, I bought all the Aviars I could find (except for McPro) and all were 175 and orange-ish (FWIW)
1 Champ
1 Star
1 G Star
1 R-Pro
1 XT
1 DX

After this, I went for a pretty thorough field session.
Champ and Star were the most overstable. If I had to pick one that was more overstable, I'd choose the Champ but it only winds by a hair. The glide really suffers in these plastics as several posters have already mentioned.

G Star and XT were about the same stability: less overstable than the Champ/Star but more overstable than R-Pro/DX. G Star had more glide than the Champ/Star but less than the XT.

DX and R-Pro were about the same stability and less overstable than any of the other plastics. I looooove DX but R-Pro is fantastic for those scary greens where you need to hit-and-stick. The glide is great on either of these plastics IMO.

For my money, I prefer DX and XT.

Niced: (2)
Old 04-28-2020, 12:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.4
Niced 1,397 Times in 613 Posts

I should also mention that DX Aviar PandAs are my go-to plastic and I don't think they beat in very fast at all. I nail trees all the time and play on rocky east coast courses. If I have to buy a new pair of DX PandAs every year, I'm fine with that.
YMMV.
Old 04-28-2020, 01:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 205
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 202 Times in 123 Posts

I've found Classic Aviars to be a bit more OS than P&A's. May be due to the stiffer blend of DX.

Old 04-28-2020, 02:18 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 732 Times in 337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevdiv48 View Post
I've found Classic Aviars to be a bit more OS than P&A's. May be due to the stiffer blend of DX.
Classic Aviars are my main putter and fieldwork thrower. I have heard of more OS Classic Aviars existing but haven't found one after going through dozens of them. Any way to tell by looking at the disc? Would be great to be able to have a fuller cycle of them. Right now I just have straight to flippy.