Old 05-06-2020, 04:05 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.8
Courses Played: 136
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3,645 Times in 1,316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugular View Post
So, they may not be manufactured deliberately, but I still contend that selling them off the way they do still drives profit.
For sure, but it's not unheard of. My main guitar is a blem; I saved a couple hundred bucks and it plays great. It's just not going to win a beauty contest, but it wasn't going to when I was done with it anyway. Same sort of deal; it lets the manufacturer make a little off something they otherwise would have to toss.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 05-06-2020, 04:05 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 100
Niced 843 Times in 406 Posts

The X-Outs I've bought all had visible issues with the plastic like off-color specs molded in, or discoloration around the rim.

I just assumed the double stamp was a sure-fire way to mark them as factory seconds.
Old 05-06-2020, 04:14 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 163 Times in 112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaine View Post
Injection mold machines and tools are beyond touchy when dialing them in. Dialing them in happens damn near every material change as well.
I was told by a guy sponsored by Innova (maybe Millennium, I don't recall anymore) in the late 2000s that this is the primary reason x-outs happen. What he said was they'll automatically reject the first few from the mold while it stabilizes in temperature during a run and also reject the first few when they get a new shipment of plastic while they dial in the specifics.

Secondary reasons I've always read were either to just random cosmetic issues or stamp issues.

I seem to think this is the case. I have nearly 20 x-out Teebirds that I couldn't save my life trying to find an imperfection in the discs other than the fact it has an X or the F2 stamp on it. Most of the F2 stamped ones were also bought around the time Innova switched from the stiff as F**k Star material to the softer one they run now. The rest are Metal Flake and I similarly can't see what's wrong with them.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-06-2020, 04:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 35
Niced 34 Times in 16 Posts

If they can sell a standard disc for $15, and X-Out for $10....why would they only want to sell x-outs?
Old 05-06-2020, 04:56 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,492 Times in 950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydex View Post
I was told by a guy sponsored by Innova (maybe Millennium, I don't recall anymore) in the late 2000s that this is the primary reason x-outs happen. What he said was they'll automatically reject the first few from the mold while it stabilizes in temperature during a run and also reject the first few when they get a new shipment of plastic while they dial in the specifics.

Secondary reasons I've always read were either to just random cosmetic issues or stamp issues.

I seem to think this is the case. I have nearly 20 x-out Teebirds that I couldn't save my life trying to find an imperfection in the discs other than the fact it has an X or the F2 stamp on it. Most of the F2 stamped ones were also bought around the time Innova switched from the stiff as F**k Star material to the softer one they run now. The rest are Metal Flake and I similarly can't see what's wrong with them.
I have some metal flake ones with dark pieces in them and they are x outs. Maybe if there are a few of those that are too visible they don’t think it can be full price? In clear discs dark specs seem to be a common problem.
Old 05-06-2020, 05:34 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,146 Times in 952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydex View Post

I have also seen Mold up Issues, the disc needs to get scrapped and did not so the plastic ends up F2 in the mold. However there are discs like the Star Shark that 80% of the discs made would be F2 due to Mega flashing on a disc or the plastic came out too soft, almost G-Star, or with dents in the wing to the point the Innova company stops making the disc in that specific plastic as the discs never sell due to basically half or more of the discs in stock are coming out ready for F2.

If I ever get F2 it will most likely be for the Shark 3, the Standerd disc seems to be getting hard to find (the single midrange mold I use as a true midrange in my game) as it seems that mold might be getting replaced by the Lion.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 944 Times in 729 Posts

Innova purposely made a bunch of X outs when Paul McBeth left. Suddenly they had a ton of several different molds with his name on them they couldn't really sell anymore. That's why there are a lot of "Commander" Thunderbirds and Roc3s around.

Old 05-06-2020, 08:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.5
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,128 Times in 959 Posts

The Thundervant was a premium price x-out.

Old 05-06-2020, 08:06 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,146 Times in 952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
The Thundervant was a premium price x-out.
So will the Destroyer 3 disc be either premium or Stock run, they look like average dome to flat top middle discs.

Old 05-07-2020, 06:40 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 189 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rol6566 View Post
If they can sell a standard disc for $15, and X-Out for $10....why would they only want to sell x-outs?
No-one said they only want to sell x-outs. It's that having x-outs in the mix increases their revenue.

Say you turn up with $25 of free cash. You have a chance to buy a $15 "perfect" disc and a $10 "x-out" disc rather than two $10 "x-out" discs or just one $15 "perfect" disc. $25 > $20 > $15. Especially since the alternative is throwing them away, so from a stock perspective it's free additional revenue.