Old 05-27-2020, 11:54 PM

Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default When and how much arm??

First off sorry if this is on here, Ive scoured and cant find anything but I may have overlooked.

My question is how much arm do I use? I know the throw is from the ground up and I have worked hard on footwork and engaging hips and core and use that to throw the disc. But I feel Im just using that and forgetting to engage my arm to throw the disc. So does it go footwork to hips to core and then when the disc is coming into the power pocket when I clamp down and start using the arm muscles to throw the disc? If so it feels it should be my triceps that engages and pulls and the wrist locks down in the nose down angle.

What made me curious is when I was working on upshots I noticed when I did more of this when trying to throw some standstills I was able to hit the line I want and angle I was wanting. But Im asking more for a drive and just a throw in general how much and when does the arm activate.

Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2020, 12:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 226
Niced 3,925 Times in 2,392 Posts

Accelerate disc out from center or power zone/pocket as much as you can.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-28-2020, 03:59 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,147 Times in 953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRS88 View Post
First off sorry if this is on here, I’ve scoured and can’t find anything but I may have overlooked.

My question is how much arm do I use? I know the throw is from the ground up and I have worked hard on footwork and engaging hips and core and use that to throw the disc. But I feel I’m just using that and forgetting to engage my arm to throw the disc. So does it go footwork to hips to core and then when the disc is coming into the power pocket when I clamp down and start using the arm muscles to throw the disc? If so it feels it should be my triceps that engages and pulls and the wrist locks down in the nose down angle.

What made me curious is when I was working on upshots I noticed when I did more of this when trying to throw some standstills I was able to hit the line I want and angle I was wanting. But I’m asking more for a drive and just a throw in general how much and when does the arm activate.

Thanks in advance!!
Something that I do is a standstill when a 80%+ or more standstill on a will get the distance I need for the shot. also for less too but then I might be doing more an approach shot.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:46 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 252 Times in 140 Posts

The Power Pocket is the moment you can start applying power from your arm.

Old 05-28-2020, 12:50 PM
Par Member

Niced 74 Times in 40 Posts

I feel like I go through cycles of throwing.
  • Phase 1 - focus on lower body weight shift, brace, elbow high bringing disc into tuck and whipping, throwing feels effortless - throwing 340-380
  • Phase 2 - get very comfortable with my back swing and rhythm, the throw feels like it starts to slow down and I can start to actively apply energy with my upper body right at the tuck accelerating out, feels like I am throwing hard - throwing 380-420
  • Phase 3 - starting to focus too much on trying to throw far, get lazy with my back swing (hip/shoulder turn), open shoulder with elbow out too far, feel like I am really trying to throw hard - throwing 320-350

Then I go back to Phase 1 and kind of reset. I'm finding that the more I play, the longer Phase 2 gets but man that crash from Phase 2 to 3 is brutal. Reps and muscle memory...

Old 05-28-2020, 05:18 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkles View Post
I feel like I go through cycles of throwing.
  • Phase 1 - focus on lower body weight shift, brace, elbow high bringing disc into tuck and whipping, throwing feels effortless - throwing 340-380
  • Phase 2 - get very comfortable with my back swing and rhythm, the throw feels like it starts to slow down and I can start to actively apply energy with my upper body right at the tuck accelerating out, feels like I am throwing hard - throwing 380-420
  • Phase 3 - starting to focus too much on trying to throw far, get lazy with my back swing (hip/shoulder turn), open shoulder with elbow out too far, feel like I am really trying to throw hard - throwing 320-350

Then I go back to Phase 1 and kind of reset. I'm finding that the more I play, the longer Phase 2 gets but man that crash from Phase 2 to 3 is brutal. Reps and muscle memory...

I've noticed over the past 2-4 years of really working on my backhand that progress comes in waves.

1. You work on a specific issue
2. you have an epiphany
3. your old muscle memory begins to work against you
4. you regress
5. you realize it
6. you fix it again (sometimes just as hard as the first time)
7. Repeat

This happens almost every time I have a major breakthrough. I'll fix something anywhere from 3-5 times this way before it just becomes natural.

And you're right. It sounds silly but those regressive times can bring on depression for sure. Especially when you've been so focused on such a small movement for so long.

The good new is the hard work pays off in the end. I had my first great looking throw on film a year or so ago. I'm just now feeling like I can throw that way consistently (winter in michigan with no field work for several months didn't help).

Old 05-28-2020, 11:08 PM

Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks for all the insight! I definitely with you drk about fixing and regressing. Last year I was killing it near the end of July to November also March of this year. But now I feel I’m regressing and not using my arm muscles like I should. I’m definitely going to use all of this and figure it out.

I got to throw some today between the rain and I I would try to clamp down and engage arm when I felt I was coming into the power pocket. The disc started coming out later and was more to the right of where I’m use to. So I think I’ve had some early release issues since I would clamp down or activate the arm and accelerate through.

And you have it correct with the phases tinkles. I think I’ve gone into 3 trying to recapture the magic of 2, I tend to stay more in 1 and have those few zen moments as I call them in phase 2.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:48 AM
Birdie Member

The first shot in this video is one of the few where you can actually see the power being applied at the end of the throw.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:44 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 114 Times in 92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk_evns View Post
I've noticed over the past 2-4 years of really working on my backhand that progress comes in waves.

2. you have an epiphany
4. you regress
5. you realize it
7. Repeat

This happens almost every time I have a major breakthrough. I'll fix something anywhere from 3-5 times this way before it just becomes natural.

And you're right. It sounds silly but those regressive times can bring on depression for sure. Especially when you've been so focused on such a small movement for so long.

The good new is the hard work pays off in the end. I had my first great looking throw on film a year or so ago. I'm just now feeling like I can throw that way consistently (winter in michigan with no field work for several months didn't help).

Man this should be a sticky that anyone has to read before starting a form journey.

Old 05-29-2020, 10:17 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 4
Niced 348 Times in 205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk_evns View Post

2. you have an epiphany
4. you regress
5. you realize it
7. Repeat

Man this is exactly my experience as well. I think the key to consistent progress is how quickly you can go from 4-5. The longer you spend between 4-5, the harder 6 becomes. So many times in my form journey, Ive figured something out and thought I had a feel for it and decided I was finally good at disc golf and went out and played some rounds. Then after a week or so my accuracy is gone my distance is decreasing and Im like wtf - watch my throw on film and Im back to whatever jacked up habit I had. I guess Id say the two things Ive learned is:
Dont underestimate estimate the power of muscle memory.
Film your throws constantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Niced: (2)