Old 07-25-2020, 07:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 12
Niced 571 Times in 396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plankeye View Post
Or just get a fierce...if they ever make more
I have some. Sol is deeper so it has more glide than the Fierce.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2020, 07:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 347 Times in 196 Posts

I actually just de-bagged my sol. It's funny, the sol is the disc that really taught me the most about my game and it's the first disc that I bought a stack of to practice with, and I just never thought I'd take it out of my bag, but I did. Where I had such great success with the sol before, I just didn't need it anymore. It became an outlier in my bag; a disc that was taken out for specialty shots only: the low tunnel relatively short range hyzerflip flick or a slightly longer one to turnover.
I can bend a buzzz on an anny flick further on the arc than I can my sol. And it ends cleaner, whereas the sol will roll.
And there it is.
The buzzz- the fabled buzzz- has that rep for a reason. It does almost anything you need it to. In every shot where I'd use a sol, I can use a buzzz and get more consistent results. The effortless flick hyzerflip is the only shot I can't pull off with the buzzz, but with a little effort, I can get the ground hugging straight flick without the flip with my zflx buzzz that would cover the same distance as the sol. Short range backhand turnover? I can use my jawbreaker ringer GT to ride an anny line.

I hated doing it. Maybe I'll put it up on the wall to enshrine it in my personal disc HoF haha

Niced: (2)
Old 07-26-2020, 04:18 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 300 Times in 193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobfish View Post
I actually just de-bagged my sol. It's funny, the sol is the disc that really taught me the most about my game and it's the first disc that I bought a stack of to practice with, and I just never thought I'd take it out of my bag, but I did. Where I had such great success with the sol before, I just didn't need it anymore. It became an outlier in my bag; a disc that was taken out for specialty shots only: the low tunnel relatively short range hyzerflip flick or a slightly longer one to turnover.
I can bend a buzzz on an anny flick further on the arc than I can my sol. And it ends cleaner, whereas the sol will roll.
And there it is.
The buzzz- the fabled buzzz- has that rep for a reason. It does almost anything you need it to. In every shot where I'd use a sol, I can use a buzzz and get more consistent results. The effortless flick hyzerflip is the only shot I can't pull off with the buzzz, but with a little effort, I can get the ground hugging straight flick without the flip with my zflx buzzz that would cover the same distance as the sol. Short range backhand turnover? I can use my jawbreaker ringer GT to ride an anny line.

I hated doing it. Maybe I'll put it up on the wall to enshrine it in my personal disc HoF haha
The sol is a great beginner disc or a fun one disc round. Loved messing with it, but never put it in the bag. Between my apx’s and the comet, it was made pretty redundant.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-26-2020, 04:21 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 126 Times in 94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSMGS18 View Post
I have some. Sol is deeper so it has more glide than the Fierce.
Domier yes, I think the rim depth of the SOL is 1.3 versus the fierce at 1.4. Fierce is flat topped so it has less glide. Might "feel" shallower. And likely is in the center and shoulder area.
Old 07-26-2020, 06:43 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 337 Times in 170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobfish View Post
And there it is.

Are you me? I initially bagged the sol for finesse upshots and tricky shots off the tee. This disc showed me what I could do then I started to use different discs for what the sol did. I guess showed me different lines and now I can execute those same lines with different discs that are my staples.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-27-2020, 01:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 1
Niced 159 Times in 112 Posts

I love the sol as an approach disc. I power down on it in the woods and hit low ceiling line where the distance is what i would normally thrower a putter on but can't because of height. Love the sol for 150-200' low ceiling shots. i may go several rounds with out throwing it but when i get myself in trouble i want that disc.

Niced: (3)
Old 09-11-2020, 11:44 AM
Par Member

Niced 46 Times in 34 Posts

Just got a pink 173g Z Line Sol with a very mild dome. I've been looking something to bridge the gap between my Fuse and Mirage, and the Sol fits that role perfectly! The Mirage just doesn't quite have enough integrity for anything outside of 225 feet without finishing too far to the right, while the Fuse can sometimes fade out a little too much under low power. The Sol I found to be good enough for smooth turnovers out to 275, and hyzer flips out to 300!

My very first throw with the Z Sol was roughly a 50% power flat shot with a clean snap, and it it turned over slowly and consistently for the latter part of its flight, out to 275 or so.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:24 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 126 Times in 94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedraven View Post
Just got a pink 173g Z Line Sol with a very mild dome. I've been looking something to bridge the gap between my Fuse and Mirage, and the Sol fits that role perfectly! The Mirage just doesn't quite have enough integrity for anything outside of 225 feet without finishing too far to the right, while the Fuse can sometimes fade out a little too much under low power. The Sol I found to be good enough for smooth turnovers out to 275, and hyzer flips out to 300!

My very first throw with the Z Sol was roughly a 50% power flat shot with a clean snap, and it it turned over slowly and consistently for the latter part of its flight, out to 275 or so.
It's a pretty sweet disc. It just goes a little far for me for what I wanted it to be used for. The Star Mirage is close but still touchy. So I've been bagging a Mirage, but I would like a Champ version which would likely add that little tick of stability. Plus I like Champ better as long as it's firm/grippy and not gummy like some of the Rhynos I've been feeling in the shops.

I carry a lighter Fuse 172 for that SOL shot 280-300 foot turns. I could really throw either one. I slightly prefer the Fuse feel wise.

Maybe I should try beating in the SOL more to see if I can power it down for the right amount of turn that I want at 240-250. I guess that is the problem of not throwing much FH, got to have so many discs to dial in all the flips and distances.
Old 10-08-2020, 10:38 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 35
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 273 Times in 153 Posts

I feel like a fool for letting this disc sit in my bin for as long as I did. When I initially acquired it in a trade I couldn't make the Sol fly well at all but that was because I assumed I needed to throw it with touch, like a putter, due to the small diameter.

I was reading through this thread and saw someone mention "shorter Meteor" so I decided to dig it out and give it another shot. Instantly impressed when I tried throwing it like I would throw a Buzzz/Meteor. I have a feeling that this is going to work out well as a crutch until I can dial in my forehand in the 275'-300' range.

Old 10-08-2020, 10:53 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 3
Niced 210 Times in 105 Posts

I got a first run Z. I probably threw this disc more than anything else in my bag for a solid couple of months, but the honeymoon ended.

If I throw it at about 80%, it goes straight to fade. If I throw it at about 85%, it turns and finishes right. And I don't have that kind of touch. So it frequently does the opposite of what I want.

This disc has not only inspired my Golden Retriever purchase, but has really contributed to developing my disc retrieving skills.