Old 07-28-2020, 11:51 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 152
Niced 471 Times in 281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
Mathematical or statistical assumptions, even as defined, are not arbitrary.
Just gotta go far enough into the abstract with sport. Eventually you'll come to an underlying assumption that is very arbitrary.

Now get over to the MLB thread - I want to know who replaced Albert Pujols this week in your all time best hitters list.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2020, 11:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 213
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 613 Times in 365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
Just gotta go far enough into the abstract with sport. Eventually you'll come to an underlying assumption that is very arbitrary.
You're talking to a guy who knows statistical analysis four ways to Sunday. And the answer is nope, we won't. Not one that has passed the mathematical validity and reliability assessments.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-28-2020, 12:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 152
Niced 471 Times in 281 Posts

Quote:
You're talking to a guy who knows statistical analysis four ways to Sunday. And the answer is nope, we won't. Not one that has passed the mathematical validity and reliability assessments.
Sorry - when I say move into the abstract I'm referring specifically to the vagaries of human behavior. I wasn't clear enough. I wasn't referring to pure abstract mathematics, that was my bad in terms of communicating. I mean that: regardless of passing any validity or reliability measurement any statistic we come up with comes from a place of arbitrary decision making. Without being able to answer why we do what we do - why a competition to get an object in a hole in as few attempts as possible? - we can't eliminate the arbitrary when you move into the deeper abstracts of human behavior. At least not in this context.

Overall the initial post made to that other person was in jest. I don't consider the system arbitrary for the purposes we use them for.
Old 07-28-2020, 01:11 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 184 Times in 81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
the kj apologists in full force

if it was macbeth yall would be crying and wondering if he was injured again

kj fell apart last round why is that so hard for some to accept

has kj peaked
obviously he needs to get married first before he can fall off

Niced: (2)
Old 07-28-2020, 01:12 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 66 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
i think we all can agree he was shooting hot last round and then started to get some crappy breaks and a griplock and lost the tourney in the last round specifically the back 9

Yes, we can agree on that. KJ lost the tournament on that missed/unfortunate upshot. He was in a commanding position, and that bogey just threw him off for the next 3 holes (where he lost 3 more strokes to Eagle). And then, he suddenly was 2 strokes back... His final round was still solid, with a nice turkey on 14-16 to keep his chances alive

Other thing, I'm surprised no one is talking about the weird ground action KJ got on hole 12. For me, his disc was bound to skip inside Circle 1 and instead, it just completely stopped.
This might also have been a gamechanger since he was tied with Eagle at this point.

A bit reminescent to the Simon windbounce at the Preserve.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-28-2020, 01:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 632
Niced 2,697 Times in 1,518 Posts

Quote:
uh, WRONG!

FTFM
i can easily admit i would probably shoot 80 if not 100 (strokes not rating) at tobaggon

kj smash me silly

still wasnt his best tho
Old 07-28-2020, 03:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 213
Niced 613 Times in 365 Posts

Quote:
i can easily admit i would probably shoot 80 if not 100 (strokes not rating) at tobaggon

kj smash me silly

still wasnt his best tho
Dude, there's a difference between "not his best" and "taking a dump." For a guy who claims "not to believe in ratings," your comments sure are proving that they are more correct than not. Ask Cgkdisc and he'll tell us all, "on average we're gonna shoot some rounds over our rating and some not so much." When a 1038-rated player shoots 1070, and 1055, the odds are that the next round he is gonna shoot not as hot. Excuse him for being only 10 points over his rating in round 3, instead of 35. His "best" this past weekend was 1074 -- and he CAN'T shoot his best every time; noone can. Otherwise it wouldn't be "his best." Now if he'd have thrown a 980 round that would have been something else, but he didn't. He played great and just got beat by others playing even greater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
Sorry - when I say move into the abstract I'm referring specifically to the vagaries of human behavior. I wasn't clear enough. I wasn't referring to pure abstract mathematics, that was my bad in terms of communicating. I mean that: regardless of passing any validity or reliability measurement any statistic we come up with comes from a place of arbitrary decision making. Without being able to answer why we do what we do - why a competition to get an object in a hole in as few attempts as possible? - we can't eliminate the arbitrary when you move into the deeper abstracts of human behavior. At least not in this context.

Overall the initial post made to that other person was in jest. I don't consider the system arbitrary for the purposes we use them for.
Hey fair enough. And Woj, sometimes I miss the sarcasm. Just call me Sheldon Cooper

Old 07-28-2020, 07:09 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 212
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 76 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Lol..there is no Kevin Jones "posse". Nobody had any "posse" this weekend. Though I did see a couple caddies and a few girlfriends on the course. The "gang" in red is tournament staff in DGLO shirts and the spotters were given lighter red shirts.
I'm sure youre correct - but when watching the 1st round post-pro vid and final round live it seemed there were at least 2 guys in Prodigy shirts always in the vicinity Kevin. One had a camera the whole time so maybe was part of Prodigy's video team?
Of course when i quickly went back just now to prove to myselfI wasnt going crazy I could hardly find a single clip of everyone, BUT, did manage to spot the trio in 1st round footage @16:20. Those guys were definitely there, that's the posse I speak of. Almost certain I saw them several times on Sunday too but no time to search through that right now.

Could've swore I saw those same fellas matching Kev on sunday which made it seem more Bold but was probably the DGLO folks you mentioned.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:00 PM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 331
Niced 4,622 Times in 2,026 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Lol..there is no Kevin Jones "posse". Nobody had any "posse" this weekend. Though I did see a couple caddies and a few girlfriends on the course. The "gang" in red is tournament staff in DGLO shirts and the spotters were given lighter red shirts.
110% correct.

KJ's "posse" consisted of: the camera crew/photogs, Udisc live scoring volunteer, and whatever spotter(s) were on that hole, plus the DGPT dude who likes to follow the lead card around (honestly have no clue why he hangs around, other than to watch the action).

I don't even think the legit tourney staff members actually spent all that much time on the course during the rounds, other than checking up on things, running water/ice out to the various holes, etc.

As you said there were a few caddies and girlfriends. Dunno why the TD/staff didn't put the kaibosh on that right from the get go. It was made clear up front that caddies wouldn't be permitted, so why should the players that followed event guidelines be penalized?

Anyone who thinks a caddy isn't significant advantage hasn't played that course on a hot, muggy, July day. It definitely makes a difference, especially later in the round.

Don't believe me? Take Simon's word for it ( go to the 8 min mark)… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gek0ybIB7l4

Niced: (1)

Old 07-28-2020, 08:17 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 212
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 76 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
110% correct.

KJ's "posse" consisted of: the camera crew/photogs, Udisc live scoring volunteer, and whatever spotter(s) were on that hole, plus the DGPT dude who likes to follow the lead card around (honestly have no clue why he hangs around, other than to watch the action).

I don't even think the legit tourney staff members actually spent all that much time on the course during the rounds, other than checking up on things, running water/ice out to the various holes, etc.

Agree the caddie thing does seem like a big advantage, though I dont recall seeing anyone not carrying their own stuff.

Perhaps I got confused by the dudes wearing Prodigy stuff and very frequently near KJ, also commonly giving him daps.... but i suppose they could have been filling those various roles you mentioned.

I'm curious now- when He daps up Charlie Cavalier (fellow prodigy teammate) at 16:20 in R1B9 - was Charlie working the udisc scoring or what?