Old 08-21-2020, 01:40 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 237 Times in 143 Posts

I'm 60, soon to be 61....I throw mainly 168-172 wait and I'm curious....would lighter weight be good for me to try? I mainly play on a very windy course....how do your 150-ish discs work in the wind?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2020, 01:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 180
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,461 Times in 575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
I'm 60, soon to be 61....I throw mainly 168-172 wait and I'm curious....would lighter weight be good for me to try? I mainly play on a very windy course....how do your 150-ish discs work in the wind?
No harm in trying lighter weight discs, although all else equal heavier discs will handle the wind better. In my experience:

- Stable to overstable discs (Teebird, Banshee, etc.) remain stable in light weights.

- Lighter discs get knocked around more by the wind (lifting or getting pushed to the ground).

- Heavier discs are less affected by wobble (off-axis torque) on your throws. Or to put it another way, lighter discs require cleaner form.

- Some people can switch back and forth between heavier and lighter discs without problems. I am not one of those people lol.

- Lighter discs put less wear and tear on your joints. I notice this most on sidearms with my ragged-out shoulder.

Good luck, fellow oldster!

Niced: (1)
Old 08-21-2020, 02:10 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 101
Niced 845 Times in 407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocacy View Post
My main crisis is that I am down to my last *Wombat3, and no one seems to have any in stock around 171 or so. Anyone know of an online vendor that has low-170s Star Wombat3 in stock?
I'm a big fan of the Star Wombat 3 as well. I have a Champion Manta that I almost can't tell the difference from the Wombat in both feel and flight.

If you can't find a Star Wombat 3, I would suggest giving a Champ Manta a shot.

And I'm also a big fan of 157 Pro Wraiths!
Old 08-21-2020, 02:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanA View Post
I'm a big fan of the Star Wombat 3 as well. I have a Champion Manta that I almost can't tell the difference from the Wombat in both feel and flight.

If you can't find a Star Wombat 3, I would suggest giving a Champ Manta a shot.
Thanks for the tip, I'll check out the Manta. Do Star Mantas fly similarly to Champ Mantas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanA View Post
And I'm also a big fan of 157 Pro Wraiths!
Nice! Pro Wraith is the first (somewhat) stable distance driver that doesn't fade out too early, gets comparable distance to the Wave, and flies reliably in headwinds.

If I had the patience for it I could see a beat-up Pro Wraith replacing my Wave. But life is too short to spend my limited time on earth searching for errant discs hiding in lush undergrowth.
Old 08-21-2020, 02:49 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, I'll check out the Manta. Do Star Mantas fly similarly to Champ Mantas?
I'm not sure, I've never owned a Star Manta. I think the Champion plastic is what's giving my Manta similar flights to my Wombat3 in Star. I carried a DX Manta for awhile, but it's been replaced by a Stingray. The elevation here makes everything more stable, and it just gets worse when I go to the mountains.

Quote:
Nice! Pro Wraith is the first (somewhat) stable distance driver that doesn't fade out too early, gets comparable distance to the Wave, and flies reliably in headwinds.

If I had the patience for it I could see a beat-up Pro Wraith replacing my Wave. But life is too short to spend my limited time on earth searching for errant discs hiding in lush undergrowth.
lol...yeah I usually buy my Wraiths in 6-packs. I lost one just last night.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-21-2020, 03:16 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 237 Times in 143 Posts

Quote:
No harm in trying lighter weight discs, although all else equal heavier discs will handle the wind better. In my experience:

- Stable to overstable discs (Teebird, Banshee, etc.) remain stable in light weights.

- Lighter discs get knocked around more by the wind (lifting or getting pushed to the ground).

- Heavier discs are less affected by wobble (off-axis torque) on your throws. Or to put it another way, lighter discs require cleaner form.

- Some people can switch back and forth between heavier and lighter discs without problems. I am not one of those people lol.

- Lighter discs put less wear and tear on your joints. I notice this most on sidearms with my ragged-out shoulder.

Good luck, fellow oldster!
I'm mainly concerned with weights since my 'home' course is windy. I've had three discs become kites on one hole and end up in the lake. My 'sweet' spot has been 168-172. Anything heavier and I start to feel it....haven't really tried lighter...mainly because I'm concerned with the discs becoming kites.
Old 08-21-2020, 03:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
I'm mainly concerned with weights since my 'home' course is windy. I've had three discs become kites on one hole and end up in the lake. My 'sweet' spot has been 168-172. Anything heavier and I start to feel it....haven't really tried lighter...mainly because I'm concerned with the discs becoming kites.
I get what you are saying. Here is my experience.

153 DX Teebird was my main wind driver for years. I could throw that disc into a 25-30 mph headwind with no problem, as long as I started it on the slightest hyzer and my throw was clean. Headwind slows down lighter discs a bit more than heavier discs, so distance was affected more than direction.

The other issue is when you expose the flight plate to the wind. For example, throwing a RHBH hyzer in a strong right-to-left wind. As soon as the disc gets on hyzer, the bottom of the flight plate is exposed to the wind and your disc can be blown waaaaay left.

Similarly, if you throw a RHBH anny into a right-to-left wind you expose the top of the flight plate to the wind. Generally such a shot will get knocked down early.

So in crosswinds, the trick is to keep the disc as flat as possible or to use the wind to push your disc where you want it to go. Heavier discs will be somewhat less affected than lighter discs, but in my experience shot selection is probably more critical.

When the full force of the wind hits the flight plate directly . . .

This is why I generally head for the woods on windy days.

Old 08-21-2020, 04:57 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
....haven't really tried lighter...mainly because I'm concerned with the discs becoming kites.
If you go lighter with your current driver, you will probably have issues with wind. I have a lot of wind here too, but weight is only part of the stability equation.

You can go with a lighter, more stable mold like I did. I went from 172 Pro Starfires to 158 Pro Wraiths. The lighter Wraiths feel like they get up to speed faster, glide farther but still hold their line as well (if not better) than the heavier Starfires in the wind.

I'm a beat-up 54 year old and going lighter (with a proper selection in mold and plastic) has really changed things for me.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-14-2020, 02:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Doing a little testing.

G* Roadrunner: This has been carving nice lines in the woods. I'm temporarily carrying two so I can take extra practice throws and accelerate seasoning.

One shot I have been missing is a late-flipping backhand. I can usually only hit this line with very flippy discs like a Diamond or Mamba, but I hope that the G* RR will season into this role.

Cosmic Neutron Wave: I have been carrying this as my "overstable" distance driver in place of the Pro Wraith. So far so good, but I have not yet tested it on an open, windy course. It would be nice to have the Wave as my only distance driver mold, whether CN + Neutron or CN + Plasma.

Old 09-14-2020, 04:16 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:

G* Roadrunner: This has been carving nice lines in the woods. I'm temporarily carrying two so I can take extra practice throws and accelerate seasoning.
I was just looking at G* Roadrunners this afternoon. All I was finding though was 175's at Infinite. Did you get yours online or local?