Old 09-17-2020, 09:12 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 189 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthunderchicken View Post
Thanks for the tip. Sno Seal sounds familiar so I may have tried it when my go to went out of business. As it is now, my replacement go to is a just went.
I have a big block of beeswax and was thinking about using it for waterproofing my leather boots. What else do these products have in them or are they just solvents to help the beeswax get deeper into the leather?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2020, 02:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 34.4
Courses Played: 365
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 122 Times in 62 Posts

my brother uses this to waterproof shoes...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B6ESC54...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Old 09-17-2020, 03:56 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 163
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 42 Times in 15 Posts

I was an avid hiker before i found disc golf. Even thru hiked the Appalachian Trail after i graduated high school. The best thing is lightweight breathable trail runners and a good pair of wool socks. I always play 2 rounds on the weekends and if my feet get wet from dew on the first they are already mostly dry early into my second round. Gore Tex is just a marketing machine. Once they wet out your done, and you can buy 2 pair of good shoes for the cost of one pair of Gore Tex shoes.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-17-2020, 05:02 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 396 Times in 177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee1 View Post
I was an avid hiker before i found disc golf. Even thru hiked the Appalachian Trail after i graduated high school. The best thing is lightweight breathable trail runners and a good pair of wool socks. I always play 2 rounds on the weekends and if my feet get wet from dew on the first they are already mostly dry early into my second round. Gore Tex is just a marketing machine. Once they wet out your done, and you can buy 2 pair of good shoes for the cost of one pair of Gore Tex shoes.
Basically what I do. Although I have found that Gortex does a great job as a warmth insulator. If it's sorta cold out, say 30 to 50 degrees and not much snow down, it's nice to be able to still play in trail runners and not have to break out the snow boots. You can get away with regular GTX trail runners in that weather. Regular trail runners that are breathable have zero insulation and my feet/toes start getting too cold.

Old 09-17-2020, 05:09 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,148 Times in 954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedlings View Post
TLDR: What kind of shoes do you wear that keep your feet dry in wet, dew grass?

Every morning in the Midwest the grass is heavy with dew. Feet get soaked so fast it’s no fun to play until noon. Even then, shady grass is still wet.

Back when I used to ball golf, the shoes were waterproof so that I never remember this problem.

I dowsed my normal hiking boots with the silicone waterproof spray which seems to give me 20 extra minutes before my feet are soaked.
If really muddy and do not want high tops get the running gaiters for the low cut trail hiking shoe or trail running shoe. Some trail running models like the Cascadia as of the 14 model on up have a velcro spot for the gaiter to attach already and do not need to glue on some of that stuff to attach the heel part.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 09-17-2020 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:12 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 47.3
Courses Played: 8
Niced 102 Times in 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugular View Post
I have a big block of beeswax and was thinking about using it for waterproofing my leather boots. What else do these products have in them or are they just solvents to help the beeswax get deeper into the leather?

Since the `70s I've always looked for something with mink oil.

If you're thinking of thinning your beeswax, I'll extend a word of caution that some solvents will cause leather to dry and crack.

Old 09-18-2020, 10:19 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee1 View Post
Could you link an example of some of both. People say good shoes or good socks but I'm never quite sure what I'm looking for to know if they're 'good'. I know I could just spend big bucks but I doubt that necessarily translates to good.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:22 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthunderchicken View Post
Since the `70s I've always looked for something with mink oil.

If you're thinking of thinning your beeswax, I'll extend a word of caution that some solvents will cause leather to dry and crack.
I would only thin it if there's a reason to. The beeswax is basically going spare and I'm searching for things to use it for. If using it raw is as good as anything else I'll be doing that.

Old 09-22-2020, 07:24 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 396 Times in 177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugular View Post
Could you link an example of some of both. People say good shoes or good socks but I'm never quite sure what I'm looking for to know if they're 'good'. I know I could just spend big bucks but I doubt that necessarily translates to good.
I like the Adidas Terrex brand. You can usually find them online for around 60 bucks or less (no GTX) if you dig around a few sites. GTX ones will run you a little more. You want trail runners specifically in general, as regular running shoes don't have the aggressive tread that certainly helps for disc golf. Lots of people seem to like New Balance as well. Shoes are something you kind of want to try on at the store and get an idea of what brand/size/fit you like, then you can simply order same ones online from then on out.

For socks I do spend an extra few dollars and get them at REI, but I'm sure any outdoor fitter or even Walmart would do. Shop around online and check out the reviews.

Niced: (2)

Old 09-22-2020, 07:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 251 Times in 110 Posts

Here is the boots i tried so far:

Salomon trekking boots
Merell
Keen
Adidas Teerex
all sort of Goratex layered boots

All of them either wore out too quickly or did not keep my feet dry.

HEre is the two things that work:
1: Neporen socks
2: Leather boots with a Goratex layer.

The only ones i found so far that work and hold for several years are Lowa: