Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Newbie Intros and Q&A

Old 09-15-2020, 01:42 PM

Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default How long does figuring out the weight shift/using your legs take?

Howdy!

Just started playing disc golf a few weeks ago - I LOVE it! I currently throw about 250-300', but I know I'm just strong-arming the disc.

I found HeavyDisc/Sidewinder materials a couple days ago...but things just aren't clicking for me in regards to actually using my legs/shifting my weight from back to front. Does anyone have experience with how long it generally takes to get the weight shifting down?

Also, if anyone has ideas on where to START with their material in regards to figuring out the weight shift and timing, I'd appreciate it! There's a lot there and I'm excited for when it all finally clicks.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2020, 01:55 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 100
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 843 Times in 406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodzer View Post
Also, if anyone has ideas on where to START with their material in regards to figuring out the weight shift and timing, I'd appreciate it! There's a lot there and I'm excited for when it all finally clicks.
You can spend a lot of time reading, trying to understand and possibly even arguing with those trying to help you...

or you can post a video in the technique section of you throwing and get some immediate feedback.
Old 09-15-2020, 02:00 PM

Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hah I plan to - this dumb work thing is just in the way for another few hours :-D

Niced: (1)
Old 09-15-2020, 03:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,530 Times in 872 Posts

Quote:
Howdy! Just started playing disc golf a few weeks ago - I LOVE it! I currently throw about 250-300', but I know I'm just strong-arming the disc.
A few weeks already at 300 is great and not very common. But I'm curious...after a full day playing, throwing those 300ft drives, how does your arm and wrist feel? If you're not experiencing any pain or excessive fatigue in your arm/wrist you may not be strong arming as much as you think. But you're only a few weeks in, I say go play another 2-3 months and then post a video and start tweaking things. You're in the discovery, fun, stage.. go have some fun.

Or maybe just throw a putter for 2 months and then post a video.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:32 PM

Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

My shoulder hurt really bad a few days ago when I was getting to 300. I took a break and started looking at form things because I figured it shouldn't hurt this much. I saw a HeavyDisc video of him throwing 340-380 with very little effort and have been down the rabbit hole ever since.

Old 09-15-2020, 03:33 PM

Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

I'll also say - I'm not consistently at 250-300, that's just my max distance. I shank them or throw them into the ground as often as I get that.

Old 09-15-2020, 04:46 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 64
Niced 205 Times in 93 Posts

The best way I have found to experience what weight shift "feels" like (aside from the disc ripping out your hand when thrown right), is to hold a heavier object than a discs and slowly open and close your hips while rocking back and forth in your standstill stance while pulling through. When you get the timing of your hips correct with your pull through to the brace, the object will feel like it really wants to come out of your hand. I use a short girls sized old school wooden baseball bat, I have seen sidewinder use a hammer in some videos too. It is a great way to warm your swing up and get your timing in sync when loosening up before you throw.

Last edited by pearlybakerbest; 09-15-2020 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:23 AM

Niced 16 Times in 10 Posts

I just started last month with no background in any 'throwing' sport. I wrestled and am still in good shape, but getting older...35 now.

Drills like the elephant walk that sidewinder22 posts, or the windmill motion, absolutely clicked for me to feel 'the thing'. I would highly recommend watching all of sidewinder's videos on youtube under seabas22. The fundamental shift from extreme strong-arming to feeling this primary engine of the throw will likely not be a slow learning process. It is more of a lightbulb moment that you can't return from even if you try honestly.

Slow down and do those two drills and I'd be surprised if you don't feel it.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-17-2020, 07:45 PM

Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

One thing that's tough - I can FEEL the brace when doing the elephant drill or windmill drill @RowingBoats, but the disc gets in my hand and then all of the sudden all the timing feels wrong. It's probably just a matter of getting all those individual pieces I'm learning to come together.

Old 09-17-2020, 08:34 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 100
Niced 843 Times in 406 Posts

Quote:
...but things just aren't clicking for me in regards to actually using my legs/shifting my weight from back to front.
This is one of the best videos I've watched on explaining the weight shift. Thanks, RandyC!