Old 09-16-2020, 09:20 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 4
Niced 348 Times in 205 Posts
Default Pre throw mental checklist

Ive read some fantastic ideas for a pre shot routine to go through before each shot, but Im old and easily distracted and often forget an important factor to consider before throwing. Im usually reminded of something I missed as I watch my flippy disc fly stable and miss my line because there was a tailwind I forgot to consider. Or my upshot flys 40 feet long and I realize that the green is slightly downhill. So I came up with the following acronym for a list I go through before every shot:

WEAR

Wind
Elevation
Angle
Risk

Angle is the angle I need the disc to land on, which is something I often forget to consider.

Risk is making sure Im aware of any ob, bunkers around the green, or other surprises that can take me to double bogeytown.

Does anyone else have a mental checklist that is part of your routine?
Sponsored Links

Niced: (3)
Old 09-16-2020, 09:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.4
Courses Played: 250
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,036 Times in 1,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azplaya25 View Post
Ive read some fantastic ideas for a pre shot routine to go through before each shot, but Im old and easily distracted and often forget an important factor to consider before throwing. Im usually reminded of something I missed as I watch my flippy disc fly stable and miss my line because there was a tailwind I forgot to consider. Or my upshot flys 40 feet long and I realize that the green is slightly downhill. So I came up with the following acronym for a list I go through before every shot:

WEAR

Wind
Elevation
Angle
Risk

Angle is the angle I need the disc to land on, which is something I often forget to consider.

Risk is making sure Im aware of any ob, bunkers around the green, or other surprises that can take me to double bogeytown.

Does anyone else have a mental checklist that is part of your routine?
How about WATER?

Wind
Angle
Terrain
Elevation
Risk

Terrain is the consideration of the landing zone. Is it thick grass to stop the disc, is it hard pack to expect a big skip? Does the terrain run away from the basket? The answers would impact some of the decisions on angle and risk.

Old 09-16-2020, 10:12 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 0.4
Courses Played: 27
Niced 130 Times in 44 Posts

Also don’t forget to look at your disc before you throw in case you have similar colored discs but different stabilities. ie. if you want to throw your yellow diamond but instead grab your yellow excalibur. Very different flight than what you intended to throw.

Niced: (3)
Old 09-16-2020, 10:36 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 3
Niced 210 Times in 105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo View Post
Also don’t forget to look at your disc before you throw in case you have similar colored discs but different stabilities. ie. if you want to throw your yellow diamond but instead grab your yellow excalibur. Very different flight than what you intended to throw.
Just yesterday, I had an approach shot that I had to hyzer around a giant tree, so I reached in my bag and grabbed my yellow Teebird. Just as it is flipping to flat and starting a big right turn, I remembered that I pulled it out of the bag and put an identical colored Leopard in its spot for a recent trip to a wooded course.

So instead of looking at a 20 footer for par, I had a pitch out with the best possible outcome being a completely obstructed 125+ foot shot for bogey. I ended up taking a 6.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.6
Courses Played: 96
Niced 2,204 Times in 840 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo View Post
I've done this and had it mess me up but there have been a few times I learned something new about my game. I'm not suggesting not paying attention to your disc.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
How about WATER?

Wind
Angle
Terrain
Elevation
Risk

Terrain is the consideration of the landing zone. Is it thick grass to stop the disc, is it hard pack to expect a big skip? Does the terrain run away from the basket? The answers would impact some of the decisions on angle and risk.

That is a great suggestion. I try to evaluate the speed of the green when Im looking at angle and risk, but I do forget sometimes then watch my upshot slide 25 feet along the hard pan lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Niced: (1)
Old 09-17-2020, 11:26 AM
Eagle Member

Something else I need to remember is to have a landmark/target to aim at if Im not aiming at the basket
Old 09-18-2020, 03:30 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 189 Times in 110 Posts

Conditions
Landing
Angle
Worstcase

And theres a handy reminder anytime you throw a bird related disc. I feel like Aim should be automatic.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,862 Times in 1,133 Posts

I look at that stuff as being prior to my routine rather than part of it. Cognitive stuff comes before I approach the lie with disc in hand. Once there I don't want my brain in the way.

Niced: (2)

Old 09-18-2020, 07:47 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
I look at that stuff as being prior to my routine rather than part of it. Cognitive stuff comes before I approach the lie with disc in hand. Once there I don't want my brain in the way.

Oh for sure. I should clarify, this is a mental checklist that should be completed before I step up to my mini. Craigs corner talks about a cadence that works well for this. He sets his bag down about 10 feet away from his disc, walks up and marks his lie, then walks bag to his bag and picks the next disc. Im thinking about this stuff as Im marking my lie and walking back to my bag thinking about what disc Ill be throwing