#1  
Old 09-16-2020, 09:20 AM
azplaya25's Avatar
azplaya25 azplaya25 is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Courses Played: 4
Posts: 571
Niced 348 Times in 205 Posts
Default Pre throw mental checklist

Ive read some fantastic ideas for a pre shot routine to go through before each shot, but Im old and easily distracted and often forget an important factor to consider before throwing. Im usually reminded of something I missed as I watch my flippy disc fly stable and miss my line because there was a tailwind I forgot to consider. Or my upshot flys 40 feet long and I realize that the green is slightly downhill. So I came up with the following acronym for a list I go through before every shot:

WEAR

Wind
Elevation
Angle
Risk

Angle is the angle I need the disc to land on, which is something I often forget to consider.

Risk is making sure Im aware of any ob, bunkers around the green, or other surprises that can take me to double bogeytown.

Does anyone else have a mental checklist that is part of your routine?
Sponsored Links

Niced: (3)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-16-2020, 09:54 AM
ru4por's Avatar
ru4por ru4por is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dearborn Michigan
Years Playing: 37.4
Courses Played: 250
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,984
Niced 4,036 Times in 1,418 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by azplaya25 View Post
Ive read some fantastic ideas for a pre shot routine to go through before each shot, but Im old and easily distracted and often forget an important factor to consider before throwing. Im usually reminded of something I missed as I watch my flippy disc fly stable and miss my line because there was a tailwind I forgot to consider. Or my upshot flys 40 feet long and I realize that the green is slightly downhill. So I came up with the following acronym for a list I go through before every shot:

WEAR

Wind
Elevation
Angle
Risk

Angle is the angle I need the disc to land on, which is something I often forget to consider.

Risk is making sure Im aware of any ob, bunkers around the green, or other surprises that can take me to double bogeytown.

Does anyone else have a mental checklist that is part of your routine?
How about WATER?

Wind
Angle
Terrain
Elevation
Risk

Terrain is the consideration of the landing zone. Is it thick grass to stop the disc, is it hard pack to expect a big skip? Does the terrain run away from the basket? The answers would impact some of the decisions on angle and risk.

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-16-2020, 10:12 AM
gogo gogo is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Years Playing: 0.4
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 97
Niced 130 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Also don’t forget to look at your disc before you throw in case you have similar colored discs but different stabilities. ie. if you want to throw your yellow diamond but instead grab your yellow excalibur. Very different flight than what you intended to throw.

Niced: (3)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-16-2020, 10:36 AM
autocrosscrx autocrosscrx is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 264
Niced 210 Times in 105 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo View Post
Also don’t forget to look at your disc before you throw in case you have similar colored discs but different stabilities. ie. if you want to throw your yellow diamond but instead grab your yellow excalibur. Very different flight than what you intended to throw.
Just yesterday, I had an approach shot that I had to hyzer around a giant tree, so I reached in my bag and grabbed my yellow Teebird. Just as it is flipping to flat and starting a big right turn, I remembered that I pulled it out of the bag and put an identical colored Leopard in its spot for a recent trip to a wooded course.

So instead of looking at a 20 footer for par, I had a pitch out with the best possible outcome being a completely obstructed 125+ foot shot for bogey. I ended up taking a 6.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-16-2020, 10:37 AM
Jay Dub's Avatar
Jay Dub Jay Dub is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SW Ohio
Years Playing: 40.6
Courses Played: 96
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 5,752
Niced 2,204 Times in 840 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo View Post
Also don’t forget to look at your disc before you throw in case you have similar colored discs but different stabilities. ie. if you want to throw your yellow diamond but instead grab your yellow excalibur. Very different flight than what you intended to throw.
I've done this and had it mess me up but there have been a few times I learned something new about my game. I'm not suggesting not paying attention to your disc.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
azplaya25's Avatar
azplaya25 azplaya25 is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Courses Played: 4
Posts: 571
Niced 348 Times in 205 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
How about WATER?

Wind
Angle
Terrain
Elevation
Risk

Terrain is the consideration of the landing zone. Is it thick grass to stop the disc, is it hard pack to expect a big skip? Does the terrain run away from the basket? The answers would impact some of the decisions on angle and risk.

That is a great suggestion. I try to evaluate the speed of the green when Im looking at angle and risk, but I do forget sometimes then watch my upshot slide 25 feet along the hard pan lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-17-2020, 11:26 AM
azplaya25's Avatar
azplaya25 azplaya25 is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Courses Played: 4
Posts: 571
Niced 348 Times in 205 Posts
Default

Something else I need to remember is to have a landmark/target to aim at if Im not aiming at the basket
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-18-2020, 03:30 AM
Jugular Jugular is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Surrey, England
Posts: 327
Niced 189 Times in 110 Posts
Default

Conditions
Landing
Angle
Worstcase

And theres a handy reminder anytime you throw a bird related disc. I feel like Aim should be automatic.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-18-2020, 06:05 AM
biscoe biscoe is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: spotsylvania, va
Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 94
Posts: 7,130
Niced 2,862 Times in 1,133 Posts
Default

I look at that stuff as being prior to my routine rather than part of it. Cognitive stuff comes before I approach the lie with disc in hand. Once there I don't want my brain in the way.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
 

  #10  
Old 09-18-2020, 07:47 AM
azplaya25's Avatar
azplaya25 azplaya25 is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Courses Played: 4
Posts: 571
Niced 348 Times in 205 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
I look at that stuff as being prior to my routine rather than part of it. Cognitive stuff comes before I approach the lie with disc in hand. Once there I don't want my brain in the way.

Oh for sure. I should clarify, this is a mental checklist that should be completed before I step up to my mini. Craigs corner talks about a cadence that works well for this. He sets his bag down about 10 feet away from his disc, walks up and marks his lie, then walks bag to his bag and picks the next disc. Im thinking about this stuff as Im marking my lie and walking back to my bag thinking about what disc Ill be throwing
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TD checklist chevis TD's Corner 1 10-04-2019 06:35 AM
Pre-throw thoughts? DamonRipper Technique & Strategy 35 01-29-2016 08:17 AM
Pre-throw stiffarming. jrawk Technique & Strategy 43 03-02-2014 09:57 PM
The Checklist HyzerUniBomber Technique & Strategy 10 02-20-2014 09:34 AM
Before You Throw Checklist threevok Technique & Strategy 28 01-02-2014 01:46 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.