Old 09-19-2020, 04:47 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 36.8
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 165 Times in 102 Posts

I completely disagree. People bitch about league rounds being slow, but yet if multiple people are let through each group, you are adding even more time. When it becomes multiple solo and twosomes it has a major effect on league enjoyment. It's not really fair to the league participant's either. I have also let many through who proceed to throw where a long search then ensues. If you know the player, it is easier to allow it. Much also depends on how the groups are staggered, etc. If you have several hole gaps then players should be let through, every hole groupings, no. What if you end up with 6-8 solo or twosomes which eventually want to play through. You could be adding an hour to the round. So it comes down to a couple people being inconvenienced vs. a whole group.

Like any other organized activity using the park, if there is already someone there, you wait your turn or go elsewhere. That doesn't mean that I personally don't let players through, even in league, it's just the presumption that if you don't all the time you are a bad person, or as Auto put it, A Barbarian. If i'm not waiting for multiple groups ahead, I always let faster players through and sometimes even then, but it doesn't always make sense.

Just like in ball golf, if i find myself behind slower groups with no where to go (they are also waiting on people in front of them), I throw multiple discs, balls or move to where I can play at the pace i want. If a group is waiting for another group in front of them, no one has any real business playing through. It is the thought that they are entitled to do so, that I find problematic. Reality sucks some times and if your expectations are a fast solo round on a busy league night you are refusing to face reality. Just saying.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2020, 04:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.5
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,141 Times in 964 Posts

Frolf ain't bolf.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-19-2020, 04:51 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhaley View Post
You should go back to ball golf.
And miss all this fun?

Niced: (1)
Old 09-19-2020, 04:52 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.7
Niced 287 Times in 137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadlock86 View Post
this is probably the stupidest post i've seen here in a long time.

unless your league is playing on a private course or has an exclusive use agreement with the parks department, YOU HAVE ZERO RIGHT to expect others to leave the course or to prevent them from playing through. it is not incumbent on anyone to accommodate the league on a public course.

you really need to come around on how you think about this because it has zero to do with disc golf, zero to do with how public parks work, and it makes you sound like a complete tool.
I mostly agree with your sentiment, however, around here it seems that the courses are in public parks but the specifics like tee pads, signs, and baskets are provided by the clubs/leagues, etc.

That doesn't give them carte blanche--it is still a public park, but I'm much more willing to compromise based on the work they've done to give me a place to play.
Old 09-19-2020, 04:57 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
Frolf ain't bolf.
Etiquette however is etiquette. Respect for others is respect for others. I don't break into your house and you don't break into mine. The sport could be much better if the aspects of mutual respect were more widely accepted in the game. I see too many posts of violated rights when the exercise of those rights also violates someone else's rights.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.5
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,141 Times in 964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
Etiquette however is etiquette. Respect for others is respect for others. I don't break into your house and you don't break into mine. The sport could be much better if the aspects of mutual respect were more widely accepted in the game. I see too many posts of violated rights when the exercise of those rights also violates someone else's rights.
lulz

letting a solo casual play through on an almighty League Round is hardly comparable to breaking and entering into somebody's house

Old 09-19-2020, 05:50 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 49
Niced 123 Times in 43 Posts

Quote:
Agreed about mutual respect, so league members such as yourself should mutually respect the rights of non league golfers to use a public park and follow the posted rules, which usually say something like "slower groups should allow faster players to play through".

Old 09-19-2020, 06:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 335
Niced 621 Times in 299 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
I mostly agree with your sentiment, however, around here it seems that the courses are in public parks but the specifics like tee pads, signs, and baskets are provided by the clubs/leagues, etc.

That doesn't give them carte blanche--it is still a public park, but I'm much more willing to compromise based on the work they've done to give me a place to play.

i would make a distinction between clubs and leagues. sure, they are the same thing for a lot of people in a lot of places but the efforts of the club are distinct from a league round, even when those efforts are funded by those league rounds.

in a slow league round, i'm not keen on offering non-league players to play through. but i also can't stop them if they choose to hop ahead a few holes. and personally, i would leave and go elsewhere if i showed up at a course during league play and the course was packed. i'm lucky to have plenty of options and i do realize that is not the case for everyone. so i can see how league and non-league players get frustrated with each other in places where courses are not so abundant. but the bottom line is that everyone is entitled to make use of a public park.

Niced: (3)
Old 09-19-2020, 07:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 525
Niced 1,544 Times in 736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyray View Post
Agreed about mutual respect, so league members such as yourself should mutually respect the rights of non league golfers to use a public park and follow the posted rules, which usually say something like "slower groups should allow faster players to play through".
It says precisely that on the huge board next to hole 1 at the course I'm referring to. Under the rules and etiquette section. In the county park that I also pay for my annual permit. In fact it's pretty common knowledge, at least around here. But it should definitely be common sense.

Old 09-19-2020, 07:47 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 3
Niced 216 Times in 109 Posts

Quote:
If you are trying to play between groups engaged in a competition, yes the players will get annoyed. You do not have the right to have the course as you want it every single round and if you expect that, you will be very disappointed. If the league does a shotgun, go to a hole ahead of where they start. If they take the whole course, which they obviously don't because you mention playing through and all, then you need to join or play elsewhere. If the whole course is being taken then I also find it hard to believe there is not a posting somewhere. Maybe Facebook?
I'm not sure if you are filling in all these blanks in your head or you aren't reading the user names in posts, but I made no mention of me playing through.