Old 09-20-2020, 02:57 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.6
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 280 Times in 132 Posts
Default Cheap discs on Craigslist

We recently had two baskets stolen from one of our public courses. I decided to check Craigslist to see if they showed up as for sale--I don't think they will, but no harm in looking.

Searching for "disc golf" turned up a few "discs for sale" ads. Below is the content for one listing. This person has a few similar listings. I am not making any accusations, but where would a person come up with BRAND NEW discs that they could sell this cheap? At least it appears to be really cheap to me even if it is DX plastic.

Brand new Innova dx plastic. Great starter set...... everything you need to start disc golfing. New Innova bag and six discs (4 drivers, 1 mid, 1 putter, and 1 marker).

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2020, 03:34 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 3
Niced 214 Times in 108 Posts

How cheap? That seems like the kind of stuff that you either get really cheap or you buy, then decide disc golf isn't for you.
Old 09-20-2020, 03:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 158
Niced 788 Times in 318 Posts

Someone could have given these as a gift and the recipient just didn't take to disc golf. Just one of many possible legitimate scenarios.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:01 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,148 Times in 954 Posts

If Smart then the people sold the two baskets on E-bay and took them apart for easier shipping to a further location, if they sold them. More then likely the people kept the baskets for practice. I think getting new baskets that are used Via E-bay from a course that got pulled say a city course a guy bought the baskets from and only wanted a few for practice or some for a home course etc. Might be even able to find the exact ones from the course that got stolen for sale on E-bay.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:13 PM
Birdie Member

I checked EBay, didn't see anything.

The original picture is for $40.

These are from the same seller. Each group is $30. Hence my statement--similar sales.

Old 09-20-2020, 07:04 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 135 Times in 96 Posts

Maybe he owns a small sports store like play it again and is offloading older inventory or something. Maybe his store went out of business? Maybe he bought a bunch of discs and broke his leg and can no longer play. IDK. Maybe he stole them? ;D

Those prices are not even that cheap. Wholesale is probably what? 50% of retail? If he does have a wholesale account he is still making money.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:23 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 3
Niced 214 Times in 108 Posts

So a while back, I went to my local Walmart for something else. I can't really go to a store that sells discs without looking at the discs. They have DX plastic at $5 and pro plastic at $7. I grabbed a pair of DX Teebirds, then later that day decided that I should have grabbed every Teebird/Valkyrie/Beast/Wraith/Destroyer/etc. I went back and grabbed up a Pro Beast and a DX beast, but everything else that I'd even care to try was gone. I went back the next week and everything was marked down to $2, but they only had Skeeters and Polecats, which were of no interest to me.

So it could be something like that. Or maybe somebody bought a storage unit or something.

I can't really imagine a scenario where someone steals a bunch of new Beasts.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-20-2020, 07:49 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,148 Times in 954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
I checked EBay, didn't see anything.

Keep an eye out on E-Bay for at least two baskets that are used from a course, not saying they will be yours but that you will have cheaper $$ baskets for install on the course and try to print the receipt from messenger buying from Pay Pal Via E-Bay to get reimbursed by the city or state park.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 09-20-2020 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:16 PM
Birdie Member

Okay—I haven’t been around long enough to know what kinds of deals or sales one might find.

I was more interested in what might be expected to pop up in the future. I like buying multiples of a disc I want to throw.

Old 09-20-2020, 08:17 PM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 331
Niced 4,615 Times in 2,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
...but where would a person come up with BRAND NEW discs that they could sell this cheap?
I end up with all sorts of new discs I didn't pay cash for.

Leagues: The league I play in awards 15 discs every week to the top few scores in each division, plus another 4-5 discs for CTP's and longest putts. Over the course of a season I probably end up with half a dozen discs just from that. Better players end up with even more.

Tournaments:
Players packs, funny money/script you win if you "cash" in an Am division, that has to be spent at the fly mart for the event.
Tournies that operate as fund raisers often raffle off DG pgks that contains assorted discs.

As a volunteer/spotter for local tournaments, I get paid in plastic.

Quite a bit of what I've sold/traded on DGCR's market place was obtained through all of the above.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 09-20-2020 at 08:21 PM.