Old 09-20-2020, 07:54 PM

Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

I just played in a tournament last weekend and they gave out gift cards in the player pack along with a 32 oz tempercraft water bottle. Who all placed also for gift cards to their shop. Now I also know the owners and when I asked them about it they did mention it was due to 144 people being in the tournament and the city was already freaking out about everyone being close during the pandemic and the gift cards were due to that. The cards were to their shop that was right down the road from the course but they also have an online store.

It didn’t bother me cause I used the gift card for a nice custom dyed disc I had my eye on but didn’t want to pull the trigger due to the price till I got that gift card.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 09-20-2020, 08:53 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,161 Times in 966 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Understable View Post
Just wondering if this is a trend in our sport. Went to a tournament and in the players pack was a disc and gift card. A friend went to a tourney that was all gift cards to pubs and an online DG retailer.

Anyone else getting gift cards in players packs?

Pros: Guaranteed you are getting your moneys worth
Cons: May not like the pub/store or loose it before use
I like that Idea if the store has an online presents then you don't have a bunch of people going to the store right after tournament to buy stuff. Also do not give out for restaurant's unless said place has a takeout option for Corona Virus, as a number of people do not want to eat at restaurant's myself included. No need to read on unless you want too know more about safe places in my town.

I have only a single local exception for indoor dining as it is only two people working at a time so few people to pass around the infection in a small seating place and the owner makes them wear masks 95% of the time that 5% exception is when answering phone. There is another place in town the original Zezto's that serves food from last week in February to mid/end of October that is fine, they have outdoor seating only due to place being only a small hut that makes the food, but mostly serves some of the best soft style Ice Cream I have ever had. There is other Zezto's in South Dakota that are franchised and ones outside that have Artic, Polar, or Penguin attached to the name but have the same style shack and sign other then extra attached name so they are in the franchise or so I would think since lots of the items are the same like the Uncle Mat or the Earthquake and have the same real foods at them as well.

Niced: (1)

Old 09-22-2020, 04:21 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 252 Times in 149 Posts

If a tournament is giving out gift cards (either as player's packs or winnings) they need to make sure the cards can be widely used. Not all players in a tournament are from the local area. So instead of "The Local Corner Coffee Shop", it should be something like 'Starbucks'.

The gift card has to have 'real' value. By this I mean that the value is enough that the person will actually want to use it and not just throw it away.

If the card is only usable under certain circumstances...make sure that is very visible on the card. I was in a tournament where I got a coupon card for a disc store. It was only after I got home and tried to use the card online that I found it was only good at the 'store' set up at the tournament - you could get it 'switched' to the online store, but that had to be done at the tournament 'store' set up. Luckily, it was only a $5 card...but still.....