Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 08-26-2020, 10:01 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 4
Niced 354 Times in 209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
You don't want to lose being pulled taut thru the shoulder/lat or have a bunch a slack, but you will lose some tension bending the elbow and kind of lofting/floating the disc into the PP/center.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5xfv9jPqZs#t=7m30s

Honestly, this clip linked here, IMO, is the most important of any of the instructional videos out there. What he’s describing- releasing the momentum of the disc/hammer back while the torque from your rear foot takes you forward - then the lag that is created when you brace against the front foot - that’s the key to everything. You get that right, your elbow will come shooting forward and you’ll feel that bow and arrow/trebuchet feeling everyone talks about.

Seems so easy when he describes it, but I’ve been working on it for months and still don’t have it down consistently. One thing I’ve found is that you have to have your arm loose. Any amount of strong arming really messes the whole thing up. That’s why I cringe when people call it a throw. It is a swing, not a throw. Again, sounds easy , but if you’ve been “throwing “ the disc for years like I have, getting your body to swing your arm instead takes some serious re-wiring of muscle memory.
Sponsored Links

Old 08-31-2020, 03:42 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 28 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Right it only makes sense to stop the hip in the linear sense which accelerates rotation initially and then decelerates on it's own. It kind of just happens automatically if you setup properly.
Trying to figure out the correct feel of "stopping the hip in the linear sense to accelerate rotation". Should it feel like, after I have settled my weight on a bent front leg, my front leg extends and pushes my front hip backwards? And then front hip back plus rear hip continuing forward equals rotation of the hips to power the shot?
Old 08-31-2020, 04:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 226
Niced 3,947 Times in 2,406 Posts

It's all one fluid motion. Your front leg will get compressed/bent from your weight/gravity and you need to resist/load/push against that compression so your leg doesn't collapse and will spring back up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrSbWfNMapE#t=4m

Niced: (1)
Old 09-01-2020, 10:14 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
It's all one fluid motion. Your front leg will get compressed/bent from your weight/gravity and you need to resist/load/push against that compression so your leg doesn't collapse and will spring back up.
And is this resist/load/push in the front leg the thing that powers the hip rotation?

In the form analysis/critique section, I just put up a video of myself trying to capture the right feeling.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=137436
Old 09-17-2020, 04:44 PM
Bogey Member

Ok, so I posted this question in the "One leg drill, stupid question" thread, but I think that that thread has devolved into a bit of a flame war, so I'm reposting here.

Question about the brace:
When the brace leg juices the throw, is it a "bump" or a press and hold?
In other words, imagine that there's a pressure sensor under my brace foot. Should the pressure spike as I shift weight to it and then decrease sharply before the upper body comes through the throw, or does the pressure rise as I settle onto the front foot and stay high until I've completed my follow through? Or something else?

When I think about whipping my tennis forehand, the pressure is more of a bump in my lead foot. On my disc golf backhand, should I be going for the same bump and whip feeling as the tennis forehand, but the feeling is that I'm swinging lefty and hitting a ball that's slightly behind me (due to use of lead shoulder instead of trailing shoulder)? I know that the throw would probably correlate better to my tennis backhand, but I've never felt the ground up power quite as well on my tennis backhand.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-21-2020, 01:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 226
Niced 3,947 Times in 2,406 Posts

Sudden shift/bounce.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CSHqnYNijw#t=1m30s
Old 09-21-2020, 09:00 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 124 Times in 77 Posts

Watch his head pause at impact. This is his weight planting which braces his arms to crack the whip. If there is no momentary pause (brace), there will still be a throw, but it seems the efficiency diminishes. I dunno... trying to work this all out myself.

Old 09-22-2020, 07:00 PM

Niced 4 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedlings View Post
Watch his head pause at impact. This is his weight planting which braces his arms to crack the whip. If there is no momentary pause (brace), there will still be a throw, but it seems the efficiency diminishes. I dunno... trying to work this all out myself.

This is actually a great video for catching this phenomenon. I was watching the MVP Open and noticed a weird hitch in all of the players throws on hole 1. Probably related to them trying to get max distance.

They are all spinning and throwing, none of that straight pull, or lever/whip stuff.

https://youtu.be/d7nqh7LIIeA?t=180

Get tucked in to the power pocket, braced forward, strong grip pressure, and spin as fast as you can while not collapsing the shoulder or elbow. Think of it more like raising a shield in front of you than trying to elbow a door.

I personally feel that people chasing the straight pull, elbow smash/lever stuff will never get anywhere. It sets you up for failure as there is no natural pathway from that to getting your body in the right spot.

Look at pauls upshot technique too. It is a slowed down full power throw, he just skips the reachback. Watch the arm though, does exactly the same thing. Across the front and rips out when the shoulder starts going backwards slightly.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,581 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davos805 View Post
Look at pauls upshot technique too.
I frequently do because it's a great tool to understand. Especially when he keeps his eyes almost straight forward the entire throw. To my eyes he's using alot of wrist/snap much less arm and way more elbow to wrist.

Old 09-22-2020, 07:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,581 Times in 883 Posts

Might as well put this question here... does this describe bracing....at all?

You're inside a car going very fast, at the finish line car 1 goes past the finish line and the player throws a disc at the same time. Car 2 instantly stops at the finish line as the player throws the disc. Wouldn't car 2's throw be ejected from the car much faster?