Old 08-26-2020, 11:00 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 42 Times in 33 Posts
Default One leg drill, stupid question.

So, I've see this one leg drill and decided to give it a try to see what it's all about. Stupid question here but- how is one supposed to draw energy to throw from their hips if the rear leg can't initiate the motion? When I do the one leg drill it seems like all I am doing is balancing on my front leg and using my arm motion (all arm) to pull my hips through. The transfer weight point from the rear to the front brace leg is the hip initiate point which starts the acceleration kinetic chain. I think this is best felt with a baseball swing. Ever try to balance on your front leg and swing a bat for power? Forget it. Even though in the baseball swing your weight gets transferred and braced against the front foot it's the rear foot and leg that powerfully starts the hip and torso rotation.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2020, 11:35 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 4
Niced 353 Times in 208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDeO View Post
So, I've see this one leg drill and decided to give it a try to see what it's all about. Stupid question here but- how is one supposed to draw energy to throw from their hips if the rear leg can't initiate the motion? When I do the one leg drill it seems like all I am doing is balancing on my front leg and using my arm motion (all arm) to pull my hips through. The transfer weight point from the rear to the front brace leg is the hip initiate point which starts the acceleration kinetic chain. I think this is best felt with a baseball swing. Ever try to balance on your front leg and swing a bat for power? Forget it. Even though in the baseball swing your weight gets transferred and braced against the front foot it's the rear foot and leg that powerfully starts the hip and torso rotation.

Pretend like you are starting a lawnmower while balanced on your front foot. Can you feel how you can still generate power with your hip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2020, 12:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 226
Niced 3,948 Times in 2,407 Posts

Taking it too literal. The feel is that your weight pressure mostly remains on the front leg. There will be some weight pressure in the backswing on the rear foot to post up/leverage against and redirect/transition you back forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpp7ZFLHK90#t=1m35s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DMwiBkvrkg#t=3m33s

Niced: (2)
Old 08-26-2020, 01:35 PM
Eagle Member

So, it's not really a true stand on one leg and throw? I have seen other videos online of people standing literally on one foot and throwing. If it's to teach the feeling of the brace or weight on the front leg then I get it. The only way I can do it and have it feel powerful is to start with my weight on both legs and then initiate hip rotation first with the back leg and then shift the weight forward onto the front leg. If I don't do this then it feels like my arm is pulling my hips through rather than having my hips and torso powerfully pulling my arm through.
Old 08-26-2020, 01:51 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 36.9
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 167 Times in 104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDeO View Post
So, it's not really a true stand on one leg and throw? I have seen other videos online of people standing literally on one foot and throwing. If it's to teach the feeling of the brace or weight on the front leg then I get it. The only way I can do it and have it feel powerful is to start with my weight on both legs and then initiate hip rotation first with the back leg and then shift the weight forward onto the front leg. If I don't do this then it feels like my arm is pulling my hips through rather than having my hips and torso powerfully pulling my arm through.
It should be called the finish on one leg drill.
Old 08-26-2020, 02:00 PM
* Ace Member *

When I see people throwing only on one leg I tell them the same thing I said above. Too literal and not actually listening or paying attention to the details.

It's like throwing from a "standstill" you don't actually stand still statically, you need to shift and move between your two feet dynamically.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-26-2020, 02:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
It should be called the finish on one leg drill.
Or maybe start and finish on one leg and bounce off the rear leg.

Most people try to start all weight back which is death.
Old 08-26-2020, 02:14 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
When I see people throwing only on one leg I tell them the same thing I said above. Too literal and not actually listening or paying attention to the details.

It's like throwing from a "standstill" you don't actually stand still statically, you need to shift and move between your two feet dynamically.
Ah, I see. That makes more sense.
Old 08-26-2020, 04:36 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 28 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Most people try to start all weight back which is death.
Is this only true of the one leg drill specifically, or true of the actual full throw as well? Obviously during the x-step you are on the rear leg at points, but should the weight *feel* centered over the front leg or hip throughout the throw motion?

During the backswing I have been really feeling like my weight is over the rear foot and coiled into the rear leg... is that wrong?

Old 08-26-2020, 05:02 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 4
Niced 353 Times in 208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocHucker View Post
Is this only true of the one leg drill specifically, or true of the actual full throw as well? Obviously during the x-step you are on the rear leg at points, but should the weight *feel* centered over the front leg or hip throughout the throw motion?

During the backswing I have been really feeling like my weight is over the rear foot and coiled into the rear leg... is that wrong?

Watch the power of posture video from the technique stick, best video out there about this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk