#1  
Old 08-26-2020, 11:00 AM
RoDeO RoDeO is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 594
Niced 42 Times in 33 Posts
Default One leg drill, stupid question.

So, I've see this one leg drill and decided to give it a try to see what it's all about. Stupid question here but- how is one supposed to draw energy to throw from their hips if the rear leg can't initiate the motion? When I do the one leg drill it seems like all I am doing is balancing on my front leg and using my arm motion (all arm) to pull my hips through. The transfer weight point from the rear to the front brace leg is the hip initiate point which starts the acceleration kinetic chain. I think this is best felt with a baseball swing. Ever try to balance on your front leg and swing a bat for power? Forget it. Even though in the baseball swing your weight gets transferred and braced against the front foot it's the rear foot and leg that powerfully starts the hip and torso rotation.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-26-2020, 11:35 AM
azplaya25's Avatar
azplaya25 azplaya25 is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Courses Played: 4
Posts: 575
Niced 353 Times in 208 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDeO View Post
So, I've see this one leg drill and decided to give it a try to see what it's all about. Stupid question here but- how is one supposed to draw energy to throw from their hips if the rear leg can't initiate the motion? When I do the one leg drill it seems like all I am doing is balancing on my front leg and using my arm motion (all arm) to pull my hips through. The transfer weight point from the rear to the front brace leg is the hip initiate point which starts the acceleration kinetic chain. I think this is best felt with a baseball swing. Ever try to balance on your front leg and swing a bat for power? Forget it. Even though in the baseball swing your weight gets transferred and braced against the front foot it's the rear foot and leg that powerfully starts the hip and torso rotation.

Pretend like you are starting a lawnmower while balanced on your front foot. Can you feel how you can still generate power with your hip?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-26-2020, 12:25 PM
sidewinder22's Avatar
sidewinder22 sidewinder22 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Creeping Creek DGC
Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 226
Posts: 16,774
Niced 3,948 Times in 2,407 Posts
Default

Taking it too literal. The feel is that your weight pressure mostly remains on the front leg. There will be some weight pressure in the backswing on the rear foot to post up/leverage against and redirect/transition you back forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpp7ZFLHK90#t=1m35s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DMwiBkvrkg#t=3m33s





Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-26-2020, 01:35 PM
RoDeO RoDeO is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 594
Niced 42 Times in 33 Posts
Default

So, it's not really a true stand on one leg and throw? I have seen other videos online of people standing literally on one foot and throwing. If it's to teach the feeling of the brace or weight on the front leg then I get it. The only way I can do it and have it feel powerful is to start with my weight on both legs and then initiate hip rotation first with the back leg and then shift the weight forward onto the front leg. If I don't do this then it feels like my arm is pulling my hips through rather than having my hips and torso powerfully pulling my arm through.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-26-2020, 01:51 PM
ballgolfconvert ballgolfconvert is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Years Playing: 36.9
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 339
Niced 167 Times in 104 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDeO View Post
So, it's not really a true stand on one leg and throw? I have seen other videos online of people standing literally on one foot and throwing. If it's to teach the feeling of the brace or weight on the front leg then I get it. The only way I can do it and have it feel powerful is to start with my weight on both legs and then initiate hip rotation first with the back leg and then shift the weight forward onto the front leg. If I don't do this then it feels like my arm is pulling my hips through rather than having my hips and torso powerfully pulling my arm through.
It should be called the finish on one leg drill.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-26-2020, 02:00 PM
sidewinder22's Avatar
sidewinder22 sidewinder22 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Creeping Creek DGC
Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 226
Posts: 16,774
Niced 3,948 Times in 2,407 Posts
Default

When I see people throwing only on one leg I tell them the same thing I said above. Too literal and not actually listening or paying attention to the details.

It's like throwing from a "standstill" you don't actually stand still statically, you need to shift and move between your two feet dynamically.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-26-2020, 02:03 PM
sidewinder22's Avatar
sidewinder22 sidewinder22 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Creeping Creek DGC
Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 226
Posts: 16,774
Niced 3,948 Times in 2,407 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
It should be called the finish on one leg drill.
Or maybe start and finish on one leg and bounce off the rear leg.

Most people try to start all weight back which is death.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-26-2020, 02:14 PM
RoDeO RoDeO is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 594
Niced 42 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
When I see people throwing only on one leg I tell them the same thing I said above. Too literal and not actually listening or paying attention to the details.

It's like throwing from a "standstill" you don't actually stand still statically, you need to shift and move between your two feet dynamically.
Ah, I see. That makes more sense.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-26-2020, 04:36 PM
RocHucker RocHucker is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 98
Niced 28 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Most people try to start all weight back which is death.
Is this only true of the one leg drill specifically, or true of the actual full throw as well? Obviously during the x-step you are on the rear leg at points, but should the weight *feel* centered over the front leg or hip throughout the throw motion?

During the backswing I have been really feeling like my weight is over the rear foot and coiled into the rear leg... is that wrong?
Reply With Quote
 

  #10  
Old 08-26-2020, 05:02 PM
azplaya25's Avatar
azplaya25 azplaya25 is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Courses Played: 4
Posts: 575
Niced 353 Times in 208 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocHucker View Post
Is this only true of the one leg drill specifically, or true of the actual full throw as well? Obviously during the x-step you are on the rear leg at points, but should the weight *feel* centered over the front leg or hip throughout the throw motion?

During the backswing I have been really feeling like my weight is over the rear foot and coiled into the rear leg... is that wrong?

Watch the power of posture video from the technique stick, best video out there about this


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shifting from behind/Bracing/Getting on top of the front leg Question DustBorne Technique & Strategy 4 08-08-2019 02:05 PM
Hammer drill question Kattrax Technique & Strategy 7 01-18-2018 03:29 PM
Right Pec drill question Nold Technique & Strategy 7 08-15-2013 12:07 PM
Right pec drill question ertai Technique & Strategy 2 07-24-2013 12:28 AM
right pec drill question jspector Technique & Strategy 17 02-10-2013 08:49 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.