Old 09-18-2020, 11:46 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,281 Times in 641 Posts

I haven't been to the north east part of WI a whole lot, but been up to the Bayfield area (farther west, along lake superior) a fair amount. There are some fun apostle islands tours available up there. We did a sunset boat tour of a bunch of them out of Bayfield that was really neat. I've also hiked a little on the North Country Trail in the Drummond area. Actually camped in the Porcupine wilderness area by Drummond there. Beautiful trail, definitely suggest it!!

Haven't been able to disc anywhere up there yet, as it's always a family trip, and the "family" isn't up for disc golf hahaha.

HBH definitely has to be on your radar. If you are hoping to catch the colors, I'd be thinking about soon. They are turning good in my area already, and I'm 2.5 hours south. We are always a couple weeks behind them up there.

If your travels bring you through the Eau Claire/Menomonie area and you want to play a round, hit me up!!

Best of luck on your travels!!
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 09-20-2020, 10:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 145
Niced 1,182 Times in 612 Posts

So my non plan ended up taking me to Muskegon, lol. I decided I wanted to play Flip finally, so after a week of camping and backpacking in Door and UP, I drove a bit and grabbed a hotel home base here for a day to watch football. Played The Breakers, Lakeshore, and Mcgrath today before/after Packer and Lions.

Anyone have advice for between Flip and going back to da UP? There seem to be a lot of good options.

Going to hit up the Manistee River Trail/North Country Loop after Flip, then more disc and Sleeping Bear wed/thu before going back up.

Niced: (2)

Last edited by roggenb3; 09-20-2020 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:59 PM
<------ [YOUR AD HERE]

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 250
Niced 429 Times in 181 Posts

Leviathan and Mason County??

Niced: (1)
Old 09-21-2020, 08:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeshoe View Post
Leviathan and Mason County??
This site says Leviathan is out of commission for a redesign.

Mason Co def looks cool, I will prob stop there. LP is just like UP...so many >18 hole courses. Seems like way more in MI than most places.

After that the Hickory Hills courses (among others) in Traverse look pretty neat. One has no rating yet.

Way further N, I am thinking I'll play Blissfest by Wilderness State Park. Sounds super secluded and chill.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 92
Niced 2,526 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
This site says Leviathan is out of commission for a redesign.

Mason Co def looks cool, I will prob stop there. LP is just like UP...so many >18 hole courses. Seems like way more in MI than most places.

After that the Hickory Hills courses (among others) in Traverse look pretty neat. One has no rating yet.

Way further N, I am thinking I'll play Blissfest by Wilderness State Park. Sounds super secluded and chill.
Yes, Leviathan is out of commission for a bit because (I think) the school there is doing some construction. In the Mason Co neighborhood I have heard very good things about Whiskey Hills and even though Hickory Hills has no rating I can say with a great deal of certainty that its great. Had a buddy up there a few weeks ago and he said it was wonderful. Personally, I would skip Beast and Goliath and hit up Beauty if time is a factor in that area.

Old 09-21-2020, 09:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Time is no issue. I came to LP bc I had too much time, lol. Id like to be at HBH for 2-3 days, and Im trying to get back to West WI by 10/3 bc my buddy has that weekend off. So I got 9-10 days to get from here to HBH, 5 or 6 of those will be backpacking, leaving like 3-4 days for disc and other hikes.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:08 AM
<------ [YOUR AD HERE]

That certainly stinks re: Leviathan. It's def a top fave of mine. My bad for suggesting something that's not even open, lol!

I respectfully disagree with Dave, though, I'd skip Beauty and play Goliath and Beauty...unless you wanna hit them all.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:37 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 54 Times in 30 Posts

I just got back from a week in the Petoskey area.

I'd skip Mt McSauba and Kiwani's. McSauba is quite tough to follow even with uDisc and a grueling hike. It has a couple really neat holes but many feel incomplete, as though the fairways haven't been fully cut yet. Kiwani's was actually fun enough that I played it twice during my stay and if you happen to be right by it I'd say stop. It's a short course with some really technical shots but pales compared to most of the other courses you've already hit or plan to hit.

Hickory Hills is worth a visit. Only 1 course is open after the redesign, I'm told the other course once done has an excellent signature hole that overlooks both bays. but we didn't get to see it. There are a few spots where uDisc is helpful as things aren't completely marked out yet.

Avalanche Park was pretty fun as a wooded hike with disc golf sprinkled throughout. A bit shorter/easier than Hickory. A couple of longer hikes but some great views.

Myles Kimmerly in Maple city was recommended to me but we didn't have time to play that one. If you find yourself in the TC area it's worth a stop at Tilleys Party store, helpful folks that are more than happy to chat disc golf and the pros/cons of local courses.

I've played Whitehall DGC a couple times and it's a fun course as well although not having played Beauty/Goliath/Beast I'd be more inclined to try those personally as they sound like better/more challenging course options.

If you somehow find yourself detouring into the Grand Rapids area you must check out Fallasburg and Hammond Hill.

Enjoy the rest of your adventure!

Last edited by klodkrawler05; 09-21-2020 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.4
Niced 4,108 Times in 1,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
So my non plan ended up taking me to Muskegon, lol. I decided I wanted to play Flip finally, so after a week of camping and backpacking in Door and UP, I drove a bit and grabbed a hotel home base here for a day to watch football. Played The Breakers, Lakeshore, and Mcgrath today before/after Packer and Lions.

Anyone have advice for between Flip and going back to da UP? There seem to be a lot of good options.

Going to hit up the Manistee River Trail/North Country Loop after Flip, then more disc and Sleeping Bear wed/thu before going back up.
If you are heading back to the UP, Hickory Hills should be on your list. I have not played the new layout, but the property promises a good run. I would not miss out on Mt McSauba, one of my top few favorites. It is in Charlevoix. It is a bit of a workout, but great views of Lake Charlevoix, never crowded.

Old 09-21-2020, 11:57 AM
<------ [YOUR AD HERE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by klodkrawler05 View Post
I just got back from a week in the Petoskey area.

I'd skip Mt McSauba and Kiwani's. McSauba is quite tough to follow even with uDisc and a grueling hike. It has a couple really neat holes but many feel incomplete, as though the fairways haven't been fully cut yet. Kiwani's was actually fun enough that I played it twice during my stay and if you happen to be right by it I'd say stop. It's a short course with some really technical shots but pales compared to most of the other courses you've already hit or plan to hit.

Hickory Hills is worth a visit. Only 1 course is open after the redesign, I'm told the other course once done has an excellent signature hole that overlooks both bays. but we didn't get to see it. There are a few spots where uDisc is helpful as things aren't completely marked out yet.

Avalanche Park was pretty fun as a wooded hike with disc golf sprinkled throughout. A bit shorter/easier than Hickory. A couple of longer hikes but some great views.

Myles Kimmerly in Maple city was recommended to me but we didn't have time to play that one. If you find yourself in the TC area it's worth a stop at Tilleys Party store, helpful folks that are more than happy to chat disc golf and the pros/cons of local courses.

I've played Whitehall DGC a couple times and it's a fun course as well although not having played Beauty/Goliath/Beast I'd be more inclined to try those personally as they sound like better/more challenging course options.

If you somehow find yourself detouring into the Grand Rapids area you must check out Fallasburg and Hammond Hill.

Enjoy the rest of your adventure!
Good call on Tilley's!!

Myles Kimmerly was awesome and Hickory Hills was awesome as well, but I'm working off like 8 year old knowledge. But I'm sure, even with any redesigns, that the land is awesome enough to make any course there pretty rad.