Old 09-17-2020, 09:52 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 28
Niced 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default Gift cards in player packs

Just wondering if this is a trend in our sport. Went to a tournament and in the players pack was a disc and gift card. A friend went to a tourney that was all gift cards to pubs and an online DG retailer.

Anyone else getting gift cards in players packs?

Pros: Guaranteed you are getting your moneys worth
Cons: May not like the pub/store or loose it before use
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2020, 10:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 632
Niced 2,667 Times in 1,508 Posts

some local scums host tournies and then have gift card prizes to their store

in which they usually have higher mark up price for discs plus they pocket the real money from tourney fee and most of the time people go over prize amount to redeem which is additional money out of pocket for the store

Niced: (1)
Old 09-17-2020, 10:41 PM
* Ace Member *

oh maybe my comment is related to winnings prizes and not players packs

so disregard if non relevant
Old 09-18-2020, 06:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,860 Times in 1,133 Posts

It's a way around having to have a lot of items change hands on site during the pandemic.

Old 09-18-2020, 07:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.4
Courses Played: 250
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,020 Times in 1,414 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
some local scums host tournies and then have gift card prizes to their store

in which they usually have higher mark up price for discs plus they pocket the real money from tourney fee and most of the time people go over prize amount to redeem which is additional money out of pocket for the store
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
It's a way around having to have a lot of items change hands on site during the pandemic.
I think scums is a pretty harsh term. They are looking to make disc golf a business. If they are benefiting and you are not really losing much....shrug. If you are unhappy with the idea, or not getting your money's worth, don't frequent their tournaments. We have a couple folks around here that are trying to make a living out of running tournaments and stores. They run pretty good tournaments, but I don't think they are getting rich.

Our club had to build an online store to better handle the COVID changes. To prevent gathering of players for both player packs and payouts. It has worked very well. It also allowed us to dig out of a large financial hole, caused by COVID.

We had an early April A Tier that forced us to buy shirts, hats and most of year's club inventory in early Feb. With the cancellation of our A Tier, following BYOP double tournament and leagues, we were saddled with debt and no way to generate revenue to pay it off. Tough position, to realize that a couple members are now on the hook for that kind of money. Certainly while we had NO idea how long COVID would keep stuff shut down.

Please understand....building an online store is a lot of work. Nobody in the club wanted to get into the disc golf merch business. It was a lot of work to take orders and mail them out. We ate the cost of shipping on nearly all our transactions.

Old 09-18-2020, 07:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.4
Courses Played: 250
Niced 4,020 Times in 1,414 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Understable View Post
Just wondering if this is a trend in our sport. Went to a tournament and in the players pack was a disc and gift card. A friend went to a tourney that was all gift cards to pubs and an online DG retailer.

I do not want local eatery gift card right now. I am not going to restaurants. But, I would gladly support a local eatery that supported disc golf. I don't mind gift cards, in general. My only issue is if I am traveling. Getting a local card, when only in town for a weekend kind of sucks.

Honestly, I would gladly take anything other than some more discs, minis, erasable scorecards, hats, towels, stickers and a pencil.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-18-2020, 07:42 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 27
Niced 166 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
This, but also: between the TD app, Disc Golf Scene and vendors giving vouchers for player's packs and prizes, there's a lot less work for the TD to do, so I get it.
However, I've learned over time that not everyone enjoys pubs as much as I do. Giving out awards that center around drinking is a little short sighted.

Niced: (3)
Old 09-18-2020, 09:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
I think scums is a pretty harsh term. They are looking to make disc golf a business. If they are benefiting and you are not really losing much....shrug. If you are unhappy with the idea, or not getting your money's worth, don't frequent their tournaments. We have a couple folks around here that are trying to make a living out of running tournaments and stores. They run pretty good tournaments, but I don't think they are getting rich.

Our club had to build an online store to better handle the COVID changes. To prevent gathering of players for both player packs and payouts. It has worked very well. It also allowed us to dig out of a large financial hole, caused by COVID.

We had an early April A Tier that forced us to buy shirts, hats and most of year's club inventory in early Feb. With the cancellation of our A Tier, following BYOP double tournament and leagues, we were saddled with debt and no way to generate revenue to pay it off. Tough position, to realize that a couple members are now on the hook for that kind of money. Certainly while we had NO idea how long COVID would keep stuff shut down.

Please understand....building an online store is a lot of work. Nobody in the club wanted to get into the disc golf merch business. It was a lot of work to take orders and mail them out. We ate the cost of shipping on nearly all our transactions.
well there is clearly moar to the story and im not going to put any names on blast

same thing as tournies happen at one of the local league all the money is pocketed and prizes are given out as gift cards to the store

which you are getting bottom of the barrel discs cuz the cherry picked discs (aka the good discs) are auctioned off on fb for moar $$ and not even available in store

i stand by scum being my word of choice and i will not do business with that person in any format

also there was at least one other person who used to do this type in my area however he stepped off the dg scene after his business antics were exposed

Old 09-18-2020, 10:57 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 36.8
Courses Played: 2
Niced 163 Times in 101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Understable View Post

it all depends. Perhaps the establishment made a donation to the club and giving everyone a gift certificate to get them in the door. That gift certificate should not be part of the payouts, but a gift given by a local merchant (wrong if not the case). I also welcome gift certificates to online disc shops instead of just choosing from whatever supply is on hand.

Old 09-18-2020, 11:07 AM
<------ [YOUR AD HERE]

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 247
Niced 388 Times in 172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscgolfStu View Post
This, but also: between the TD app, Disc Golf Scene and vendors giving vouchers for player's packs and prizes, there's a lot less work for the TD to do, so I get it.
However, I've learned over time that not everyone enjoys pubs as much as I do. Giving out awards that center around drinking is a little short sighted.
There's plenty of people who love their alcohol lots but still dislike going to bars or pubs. I've never been a huge fan, despite really loving some craft beers, and now that there's literally a plague going around...well....

It could be the nicest bar/beer selection and I'd still be bummed out by a gift card.

I'd be totally cool with a gift card that's usable anywhere, or for gas or something that isn't super localized.