Old 09-20-2020, 09:43 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 93 Times in 61 Posts
Default Wide Backswing Arc

I’m sure this vid has been discussed in the past, but it is new to me. I have read about this wide backswing arc in other threads, and wanted to start this thread to say this helped me so much with the feel of a whip. I do not have it dialed in yet, but the effortless feeling of the snap and the power... I know what you’re talking about after adding this wide-arc in my backswing. All those videos about the straight pull through (and the very good sidewinder22 thread debunking) didn’t ‘click’ until I saw this video.

Prior to adding that wide swing, I felt most powerful with a very slow backswing. Now I can speed things up with that wide arc.

Anyway I made a gif of the video so I can stare at it. The top view is so helpful.

Here’s the original

Edit: watch his head pause at the ‘wall’.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by seedlings; 09-20-2020 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:06 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 114 Times in 92 Posts

I just had this breakthrough too. Love the above view - clearly shows how the arm/disc goes inside > out (wide) then back in.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-21-2020, 02:49 PM
Par Member

Niced 26 Times in 18 Posts

What makes most amateurs attempting this pulling their shots to the right?
Old 09-21-2020, 02:55 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 19 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedlings View Post
I’m sure this vid has been discussed in the past, but it is new to me.
This is also a new video for me. I'm assuming this is an example of good form.

Another thing I notice in the GIF is the weight shift. You can clearly see the thrower move his weight from his back foot to his front. Also interesting is how this seems to happen before the pull-through is initiated. Is this good or bad?
Old 09-21-2020, 03:02 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 16 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKieb704 View Post
This is also a new video for me. I'm assuming this is an example of good form.

Another thing I notice in the GIF is the weight shift. You can clearly see the thrower move his weight from his back foot to his front. Also interesting is how this seems to happen before the pull-through is initiated. Is this good or bad?
It is good. If you are already pulling through before you have shifted, you are actively fighting against the momentum you are trying to generate. At least, this is how it feels to me.

Old 09-21-2020, 04:06 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 93 Times in 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepi View Post
What makes most amateurs attempting this pulling their shots to the right?
I think we don’t have the ‘feel’ of proper timing. I pull 35 degrees right of aim all the time. And when I say ‘aim’, that seems a little arbitrary for me yet. Front heel is supposed to land just in front of the back foot’s toe. The line from back toe to front heel is what I’d consider the point of aim. But that may not be accurate.

My biggest problem is nose up release. I can get a nose down release with a level throw (not far off the ground), but whenever I try to get a little height, I reach a little lower in backswing and finish a little higher... and the throw looks great for 200 feet, then it death-fades.

Old 09-21-2020, 04:25 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 237 Times in 143 Posts

I may have to give that a try. I'm struggling with my RHBH throw. I've done the stand-still, one-step, and slow X-step; no consistency or accuracy. But if I do a Patent Pending throw, I'm really good. So maybe this 'in-out-in' method will work for me.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:45 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 16 Times in 10 Posts

Just got back from some field work with this concept in mind as a focus. Something about this movement makes it much easier for me to feel the rhythm of the swing, and helps me stay loose going into the hit before clamping down a bit harder.

Thanks for sharing this gif lol, I think staring at it for about 30 minutes today really did something helpful.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:07 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,147 Times in 953 Posts

I can't do the extra after the release of disc swing, or I grip lock the disc/have the disc hook into my fingers and not release. There is a little of the after disc swing I can do with faster disc speed 11+ on full power throw but the full after release of disc swing but not the whole thing or I have timing issues with regards to letting the disc out of my hand or having issues with trying to let the disc rip from hands.

Old 09-21-2020, 06:09 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 42 Times in 33 Posts

It helped me for a while to get the feeling of the weight in the disc from power pocket out to release. Might of been a timing issue, not sure. I still use it sometimes, especially on shots for max distance. It's just not as controllable for me accuracy wise.