Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: Would you like to see the PDGA set a limit on the number of disc carried.
Yes 78 25.32%
No 230 74.68%
Voters: 308. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2016, 07:25 PM
Officially Retired

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 241
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 59 Times in 33 Posts

Well I think we need to ban sharp discs and my arguments for are far superior to any I've read in here for number of disc limitations.

#Zephyr
#TeMoko
#Hero235
#SuperClass
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2016, 08:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,173 Times in 549 Posts

Even if the pros can demonstrate more skill using less discs, what is the end point or goal?

What are you hoping to gain that we don't already have?

Spectators? Outside respect or investment?

Those things aren't going to be affected by the number of discs our pro players carry.

It's a great thought exercise, but ultimately has no actual value when it comes to professional disc golf.

Often times I feel like these ideas come up because of some inferiority complex that some disc golfers have.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,173 Times in 549 Posts

As for the "fairness" factor, most sports try to level the playing field by taking into account variables that they can control.

Obviously some variables are unable to be controlled.

Sure luck plays a factor, but like you said, a governing body shouldn't let luck enter the equation (when at all possible).

So putting unnecessary restrictions (such as disc limits) on players would basically be letting luck come into play.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:39 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 30 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillybizz View Post
Well I think we need to ban sharp discs and my arguments for are far superior to any I've read in here for number of disc limitations.

#Zephyr
#TeMoko
#Hero235
#SuperClass
I do think "we" should have banned sharpest discs about 10 years ago when it could have been limited to a 2.0 max rim width, but that didn't happen and there's no going back now.

Superclass though . . . no way! Watching that crap fly makes me want to puke.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:01 PM
Team Borderland

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 87
Niced 41 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
The ruling body of a sport can only care so much about what you find "fun." They have other things to weigh too, like safety, competitiveness, skill/equipment balance, cost, ease of application… etc. I'm not saying all of those (and the many factors I didn't list) play a role here. Just discussing any rules change in general. They consider more than "will tampabay find it more fun?"

The NHL is (supposedly) shrinking the size of goalie equipment. They have to keep it big enough to ensure the safety of the goalies, but they want to make it smaller because goalscoring is down, and today's bigger goalies are using bigger equipment… so they feel that it will help restore the competitive balance to shrink it slightly.

The mound in baseball was raised in 1969 because 1968 was "The Year of the Pitcher." Etc. Pitchers undoubtedly had more fun in 1968 than 1969!
You're talking about leagues that exist as an entertainment enterprise. Their primary interest is keeping the interest of the fanbase. People like offense.

Disc golf is a participation sport. The fun-factor should absolutely be a part of the conversation.

Quote:
Life - and sports - aren't fair. Sometimes players start on tougher holes and ruin their round before they can get going. Sometimes the wind or rain or other weather changes for some players but not others. Sometimes a player's disc hits a stick and stops, and other times the disc misses the stick and rolls 50' away. Luck of the draw.

Sports rules can't really concern themselves too much with trying to govern luck, good or bad.

And as I'll write below, allow replacements (same plastic/mold or maybe just same mold) optionally to the TD for shotgun starts. Then it won't matter what hole you start on, you'll still be limited to x number of discs.

Or don't, because again, life (and sports) aren't fair. Sometimes you get a bad draw. Sometimes you get a good one. It tends to balance out.
Yeah, sometimes you run into some bad luck that there's no way to control. But that doesn't mean we should just ignore the fact that a rule can create even more potentially unfair scenarios, especially when it's not in itself fixing an unfairness.

Quote:
12 discs, any combination of molds.
If you limit players to 12 discs, tournament attendance will plummet. The PDGA should be focusing on initiatives to increase participation, not reduce it.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:13 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 166
Niced 2,229 Times in 1,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
Even if the pros can demonstrate more skill using less discs, what is the end point or goal?

What are you hoping to gain that we don't already have?

Spectators? Outside respect or investment?

Those things aren't going to be affected by the number of discs our pro players carry.

It's a great thought exercise, but ultimately has no actual value when it comes to professional disc golf.

Often times I feel like these ideas come up because of some inferiority complex that some disc golfers have.
Yeah, I don't get the "takes more skill to throw less discs" argument either. There really isn't a point to it. It probably takes more skill to throw only 150 class discs too but uhhhh... nobody cares.

I actually think a disc limit would have an adverse effect on popularity. 9/10 people that have never seen disc golf see my bag of 15-18 discs and go "Wow, you use that many frisbees!?!" To outsiders it actually makes the game look more like a legitimate sport instead of some bros with a handful of frisbees.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 2
Niced 416 Times in 305 Posts

The limit should be pro divisions only and no less than 30 should be the max.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:43 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 30 Times in 18 Posts

Off topic but it did generate an idea.

A fundraiser tournament with an entry fee of $2 per disc.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,326 Times in 1,475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSMGS18 View Post
The limit should be pro divisions only and no less than 30 should be the max.
If you allow 30 or more, you might as well not have a limit. Unless you're just thinking appearances. At 30 discs, players aren't demonstrating their skill in shaping the same disc into different flights, or making tough choices as to what to put in the bag.

It makes it a kind of worst-of-all-choices rule---a rule that doesn't even do what the limited-discs advocates want.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:33 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.8
Courses Played: 167
Niced 215 Times in 99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillybizz View Post

#Zephyr
#TeMoko
#Hero235
#SuperClass
I would hate to argue against this statement. Nice post .