Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: Would you like to see the PDGA set a limit on the number of disc carried.
Yes 78 25.32%
No 230 74.68%
Voters: 308. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2016, 10:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
Even if the pros can demonstrate more skill using less discs, what is the end point or goal?
Scroll back. I've given my opinion on that.

Quote:
What are you hoping to gain that we don't already have?
Pushing the balance slightly more toward skill. Also something I've said.

Quote:
It's a great thought exercise, but ultimately has no actual value when it comes to professional disc golf.
That's your opinion. I have one too.

Quote:
Often times I feel like these ideas come up because of some inferiority complex that some disc golfers have.
Ummmm, no… not from me.

Quote:
As for the "fairness" factor, most sports try to level the playing field by taking into account variables that they can control.
No they don't. They try to achieve what they feel is the proper balance. If disc golf wanted to level the playing field they'd make every hole about 200' max because nearly everyone can throw 200'. Bam - instantly a more level field.

Quote:
So putting unnecessary restrictions (such as disc limits) on players would basically be letting luck come into play.
Not really. It'd balance out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradharris View Post
You're talking about leagues that exist as an entertainment enterprise. Their primary interest is keeping the interest of the fanbase. People like offense.
Those were a few examples. There are others that shift the balance the other way.

Quote:
Disc golf is a participation sport. The fun-factor should absolutely be a part of the conversation.
Yeah… sorry, I disagree that "fun" is going to vanish (or be diminished at all, in fact) because you can only carry 15 discs instead of 22 (or whatever the numbers might be). Heck, maybe you'd have more fun because you don't have to worry about or carry around 22 or 32 discs.

Quote:
If you limit players to 12 discs, tournament attendance will plummet. The PDGA should be focusing on initiatives to increase participation, not reduce it.
Funny, you speak as if this is a fact, but it's just… your guess. You don't know what would happen. I'd be more likely to play in events. I think it's ridiculous when I'm playing against someone wheeling around a cart with 40 discs in it.

And you didn't even say it would decline slightly… you said plummet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
Yeah, I don't get the "takes more skill to throw less discs" argument either. There really isn't a point to it.
The point is… that it takes more skill to throw fewer discs in the shapes needed to play your best disc golf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
9/10 people that have never seen disc golf see my bag of 15-18 discs and go "Wow, you use that many frisbees!?!" To outsiders it actually makes the game look more like a legitimate sport instead of some bros with a handful of frisbees.
I imagine that any number greater than about six elicits that reaction. I've had people give me that reaction when I tell them there are "putters, mids, and drivers".

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
If you allow 30 or more, you might as well not have a limit. Unless you're just thinking appearances.
Agreed.

------------------------------------------------------------------

As I'm just now repeating myself, and because as I've said this is not going to actually happen any time soon, I'm bowing out of the thread. I've repeated things a few times, so if you respond to me, you can pretend I responded back by looking at some of my previous posts.

Ultimately, I have a minority opinion. Not the first time in my life. I'm good with it. Are y'all?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2016, 11:08 PM
Team Borderland

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 87
Niced 41 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
I think it's ridiculous when I'm playing against someone wheeling around a cart with 40 discs in it.
So what? You play your game and let him play his.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,784 Times in 1,714 Posts

Anybody know how many discs the top pros are typically carrying? Which ones carry the least? I'm assuming this discussion is only regarding the total number of discs and not number of molds.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:23 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 360
Niced 727 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSMGS18 View Post
The limit should be pro divisions only and no less than 30 should be the max.
In which case, what's the point? Most of them carry less than 30 anyway.

And creating different rules for pros and ams just invites more confusion when it comes to the ruleset.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:36 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.2
Courses Played: 65
Niced 592 Times in 287 Posts

So it seems the argument for limiting discs is: players display more skill when having fewer discs to choose from.

Therefore, if we carry NO discs, the most skill can be displayed, right?
Old 12-02-2016, 12:05 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 33 Times in 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

But I also think a compelling argument can be made for limiting the number of discs.

That's the way I'd argue it.

Consider a player with an infinite number of discs, each of which can be thrown almost exactly the same way and result in the infinite number of flights.

Does that disc golfer require more skill in the skills that matter over the golfer limited to (I'm just making an example) five discs?

That first guy certainly has more skill at picking the right disc, but does he have more "throwing" skill? I'd argue he does not.
You're describing a completely arbitrary metric. There is one really good way to determine a players skill and that's how well they score. The argument that it takes more skill to work with less discs is no more compelling than it takes more skill to throw a wide variety of discs. Again at the end of the day you can only quantify how much skill a person has by considering their overall score for that round.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:07 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 33 Times in 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.Luke View Post
So it seems the argument for limiting discs is: players display more skill when having fewer discs to choose from.

Therefore, if we carry NO discs, the most skill can be displayed, right?
The only thing harder than playing with no discs is playing with a groove.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:35 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 64
Niced 112 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Anybody know how many discs the top pros are typically carrying? Which ones carry the least? I'm assuming this discussion is only regarding the total number of discs and not number of molds.
I know Big Jerm at USDGC only had like 14 maybe, prodigy doesn't put a disc recap in the vids and I don't want to listen to a 10 minute video for that.

Innova Bags - they put recaps on their videos so it's much easier to get this info

Eagle - (4 putters, 5 mids, 5 fairways, 9 distance): 23
Philo - (4 putters, 7 mids, 4 fairways, 6 distance): 21
Simon - (4 putters, 4 mids, 4 fairways, 7 distance): 21
McBeth (4 putters, 8 mids, 7 fairways, 7 distance): 26

I am pretty sure Jerm carries one of the lightest bags.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:04 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 136 Times in 67 Posts

I've watched a ton of tournament video over the last year, and it seems that most pros are using less than 15 different discs per round. They, and probably most players, get a good feel for a certain group of discs on a certain day and stick with them. The whole limiting the number of discs seems to be a non-issue to me. I'd like to hear from people who are actually out there if my observations are correct.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 976 Times in 521 Posts

The more I read this thread and the more I think about it, the more I lean towards having a limit being cool.

I just think the whole process of deciding which discs to bring to a given course on a certain day would be a ton of fun. It's an entirely new element of strategy we've never had to deal with before, and I think it would be fun deciding and discussing your selections for the day with fellow players.