Old 01-28-2019, 09:11 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 936 Times in 511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
Do you actually use these super OS mids? . . i had a Justice then a Drone in my bags for years. . but i almost never use them so i eventually took them out of the bag
I FH a DGA Quake quite often. Occasionally throw a big BH hyzer as well.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2019, 09:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 177
Niced 119 Times in 74 Posts

I have a DyeMax Justice in my everyday bag that is not as overstable as the ones I use in my tournament setup. That makes it quite useful, especially when I need to spike something in or need to forehand approach (because forehand is always a last resort for me).

The Justice is a niche disc for me, but even in my minimalist bag, 5 mids/putters and 5 fairway/distance drivers, the Justice has a spot simply because I never know when I need to use, which may be never or a few times a round depending on course and weather conditions, but better to have it than not. When conditions are not ideal, I really cannot fake what a Justice can do with another disc.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:10 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 27
Niced 415 Times in 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timthenchant3r View Post
The biggest difference with the Drone that I have found is that it has much more glide than these other beefy bois. Which could be a good or bad thing depending on what you are looking for.
Agreed. I said this on another thread, but the weird combo of overstability and glide makes the Drone difficult for me to use. It's great in a headwind or for getting around a dogleg, but in my experience it's too glidey to handle crosswinds well on super windy days. And I'm personally not going to bag a disc that is that overstable if I can't trust it in crosswinds.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:16 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 517 Times in 332 Posts

I'll throw this out here, pun intended, I picked up a Lucid Justice a while back and it was all they are cracked up to be - crazy OS, to the extent that it was perfect for kooky pitch-outs in the woods, rollers, insane flex shots etc. Flashing was a little uncomfortable, so I carefully sanded it off as I am one to do. Note that I've done this a million times to new discs and have gotten very good at taking off just the right amount with a 3m sanding sponge so as to not wear down the bead in the slightest.

Now it's mellowed out significantly, at least subjectively speaking. Still plenty OS and appropriate for the above shots, but I just need to remember to use slightly less anny to avoid a cut roll for example.

One thing to keep in mind when comparing the molds OP described is that the Justice is small diameter and dumpy whereas the Drone is big and glidey. Deflector is wider diameter (178g max) but never having thrown one I can't say if it's glidey or not, relatively speaking.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 580 Times in 426 Posts

Checked out the Deflector - threw one of a buddy's - It feels and looks like a Justice - maybe a lil more diameter? idk, but its up there with Justice OS. Its a nice feeling disc, basically a copy of a Justice. If anything the Justice is probably STILL the most OS, but Deflector is close - Drone is nothing close and drones, ehhh idk, I don't love em - im more of a BuzzzOS or Zone person, then Firebird, then Destroyer/Stiletto for OS stuff. But a RESISTOR is a good choice if you want a Speed 6 OS disc

Niced: (1)
Old 01-30-2019, 07:36 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 322 Times in 220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasOrion View Post
Checked out the Deflector - threw one of a buddy's - It feels and looks like a Justice - maybe a lil more diameter? idk, but its up there with Justice OS. Its a nice feeling disc, basically a copy of a Justice. If anything the Justice is probably STILL the most OS, but Deflector is close - Drone is nothing close and drones, ehhh idk, I don't love em - im more of a BuzzzOS or Zone person, then Firebird, then Destroyer/Stiletto for OS stuff. But a RESISTOR is a good choice if you want a Speed 6 OS disc
I was originally thinking same thing - that resistor could possibly fit ops desire for stable but greater distance potential than justice.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:08 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 41
Niced 696 Times in 395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
Agreed. I said this on another thread, but the weird combo of overstability and glide makes the Drone difficult for me to use. It's great in a headwind or for getting around a dogleg, but in my experience it's too glidey to handle crosswinds well on super windy days. And I'm personally not going to bag a disc that is that overstable if I can't trust it in crosswinds.
Forgive my condescending tone, Drone whore and long time player here.

What disc can you throw in the [cross]wind that isn't a glideless turd like a Berg (which I bag and love)? Ever need to throw your Aviar/Wizard/Roach/Buzzz/Roc/Wasp/Stingray/Teebird/Avenger/Thunderbird/Roadrunner/Wraith/Destroyer/you-name-it in the wind? Utilize the wind. Show the flight plate to said wind and it'll carry. Show the flight plate and it'll die. Perfect headwind? It'll turn more and fade later/less. Perfect tailwind? It'll turn less and fade earlier/more.

I've never thrown or even held a Justice but that's irrelevant to my point (Deflectors yes). Firebirds, hell, Max's and Xcals and NukeOS' get affected by the wind. So do Zones.

Back to my comments in the paragraph above, you ONLY throw overstable discs in all wind conditions? My man, have you also never thrown an understable hyzer in calm conditions? You're missing out.

Please elaborate on your point(s).
Old 01-31-2019, 08:40 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 27
Niced 415 Times in 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
Forgive my condescending tone, Drone whore and long time player here.

What disc can you throw in the [cross]wind that isn't a glideless turd like a Berg (which I bag and love)? Ever need to throw your Aviar/Wizard/Roach/Buzzz/Roc/Wasp/Stingray/Teebird/Avenger/Thunderbird/Roadrunner/Wraith/Destroyer/you-name-it in the wind? Utilize the wind. Show the flight plate to said wind and it'll carry. Show the flight plate and it'll die. Perfect headwind? It'll turn more and fade later/less. Perfect tailwind? It'll turn less and fade earlier/more.

I've never thrown or even held a Justice but that's irrelevant to my point (Deflectors yes). Firebirds, hell, Max's and Xcals and NukeOS' get affected by the wind. So do Zones.

Back to my comments in the paragraph above, you ONLY throw overstable discs in all wind conditions? My man, have you also never thrown an understable hyzer in calm conditions? You're missing out.

Please elaborate on your point(s).
Fair enough. I was trying to be concise, but if I've got an audience for a longer response than I'll write it. For reference: I live in Nebraska, so an average day has roughly 15 mph winds. I consider 'windy' days 20+ mph, and I do play fairly often in stronger winds than that. Also, all 'clock' references below are utilizing 12:00 as a straight headwind, 6:00 as tailwind, etc.

Drone is great in a straight headwind (as I said previously), however so are lots of other overstable discs; I wouldn't bag a disc for only one shot, but if I did then I'd consider the Drone for straight headwind midrange shots. It is admittedly very good for that, and was what made me love my Drone originally.

A true L-to-R crosswind (8:00 - 10:00) is kinda tough, because if I give my Drone just a touch too much or too little height, it could either fade out strong or pretty much stay straight. I'd rather throw something like an Emac Truth for that type of crosswind, which will hold a straight line regardless and will be more forgiving of the amount of height and hyzer that I give it. Or I may consider really ripping on a Zone, as long as I'm ok with the chance it gets knocked down early from having the top of the flight plate exposed. Or if I need the shot to finish left, then I'd likely disc up to a Felon or Getaway and intentionally give it some air. Straight line in this instance is much more comfortable for me though and is more likely to succeed.

My real problem with the Drone though is for winds coming from between 12:30 and 4:00. The combo of stability/glide exposes the bottom of the flight plate for a long time and the wind just makes it sail. I'd MUCH rather disc down to a Zone or up to a Felon for that type of wind, since both of those discs will fight to get to the ground quicker on a low line with a predictable amount of fade. Or if I want to use the wind to finish way left, then the Verdict gets me a Drone-like line but with more consistency. Also, I have a terrible forehand, but if I need it to finish straight or a little right with a R-to-L crosswind then I'd consider flicking a Verdict, Emac, or Getaway here.

I typically wouldn't throw a really overstable disc in a tailwind (5:00 - 7:00), so I can't say I've got much experience chucking a Drone in a 20 mph tailwind. I'd rather throw a slightly understable mid (Evidence) or stable putter (Envy) and let the wind help me finish left. Or for a straight shot, throw a truly understable disc like a Tursas.

Regarding the questions in your last paragraph, yes I throw understable discs with hyzer frequently. Not sure why you think I wouldn't. In the rare calm wind days that we get, I throw the majority of my shots with flippy discs since I don't have the biggest arm. And no, OS discs aren't the only things I throw on windy days, as detailed above. Depends on the amount and direction of the wind, and how I want the shot to finish. But yes, I do want my most OS discs (Zone and Felon on most days) to be relatively glideless so that they fight to get to the ground in headwinds, crosswinds, and variations thereof.

Old 02-01-2019, 05:44 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 41
Niced 696 Times in 395 Posts

^My understable hyzer assumption was relevant to my overstable only wind beliefs allegedly described by you. You explained yourself well, my apologies.

I do frequently play in winds but not mid-west style (eastern PA). I'll never be capable of explaining myself because it's just not comparable. Cheers.