Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 97 Times in 40 Posts

Our tuesday night league does this.
Divisions are:
Gold
Silver
Bronze

If you enter say Bronze which is the lowest division and shoot a 51(-3) you have to move up to silver for 3 weeks. Works pretty well. You just have to figure out what the scores would be on your course. We also have enough peer pressure in our area that people tend to play up in this league.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2019, 10:06 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 129 Times in 67 Posts

What about a handicapped league? That's what we do at the one I go to. We also have 2-3 different tee pads on most holes, so there is a way to get the champs separated from the chumps.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:02 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 87
Niced 97 Times in 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle pennybags View Post
What about a handicapped league? That's what we do at the one I go to. We also have 2-3 different tee pads on most holes, so there is a way to get the champs separated from the chumps.
Can't speak for your area, but i run one in mine and the better players just don't show up. They have to shoot super low in order to even get into cash, while lower leveled players just need to improve a stroke here and there.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 150
Niced 3,603 Times in 1,499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatRedDude View Post
Can't speak for your area, but i run one in mine and the better players just don't show up. They have to shoot super low in order to even get into cash, while lower leveled players just need to improve a stroke here and there.
Just curious, but is there only payout for the best handicap scores at your league? If so, would you consider offering a payout for the best scratch scores too?

Way back in the day when a now defunct local course was about the only game around for 50 miles, they ran a lot of handicap leagues and tournaments. What they'd do is split the entry fees in half and payout the top 3-4 for both handicap scores and scratch scores. Everyone was eligible for both payouts, but you could only take one if you placed on both sides (whichever was higher). So if you were third in scratch and first in handicap, you took the first place winnings and fourth best in scratch would get the third place winnings on that side.

Doing it that way kept the better players interested (for the scratch payouts) and also the lower level players (for the handicap).

Old 03-06-2019, 11:59 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 106
Niced 201 Times in 111 Posts

Are you the league director? As cruel as this sounds leagues should run like a dictatorship. Meaning if you want to play in the league i run you need to abide by my rules. Tournament directors have the right to tell players what divisions they can play in when not rated. Use the same principle here. Tell the sandbaggger that if they want to play they must play in what ever division you deem appropriate. I don't mean to come off dickish by saying this. As long as your fair most player will respect your call running the league and those that don't you may be better off without them .

Old 03-06-2019, 12:20 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 148
Niced 37 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Silly. We have 20-30 people per week with 3 regulars over 1000 rating and the vast majority of players under 900.
You may be surprised how many lower rated players put value in competing with players much better then them. Especially if it's at a price that doesn't break the bank. I assume your league is 5$ to play? Not 50$ or more like a PDGA event. Do you have each division only play with people within there division? If Paul Mcbeth played your league regularly would you rather pay 5$ to play and compete against people with your skill level or 5$ for a chance to play with him? I run a league and have 30-40 players show up regularly. I don't do divisions and as many people that disagree with it I have equal or more that enjoy it. I had a player last year who won his first PDGA event in an intermediate division and thanked our league for forcing him to raise his game. So it may be silly but it can work. Another thing I'll say is run your league how you want to. In my experience you don't want to ask disc golfers how to run your league. You make the decision. If you're thinking of ways to force players to stop bagging you have that power. Tell the player what division he is in.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:21 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiac View Post
Are you the league director? As cruel as this sounds leagues should run like a dictatorship. Meaning if you want to play in the league i run you need to abide by my rules. Tournament directors have the right to tell players what divisions they can play in when not rated. Use the same principle here. Tell the sandbaggger that if they want to play they must play in what ever division you deem appropriate. I don't mean to come off dickish by saying this. As long as your fair most player will respect your call running the league and those that don't you may be better off without them .
I wish that were the case in my league. The guy who runs it is way too nice to ever run things like that, even though he has had people take advantage of his league to clean up at prize night at the end of the season.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:25 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatRedDude View Post
My area is very rural. We have exactly 0 players rated above 990. It's also very cheap/poor/cheap. My league is a $2 entry fee and a $1 optional ace fund. People have a hard time finding the funds for that week after week.

Last edited by uncle pennybags; 03-06-2019 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Sorry. Double :(
Old 03-06-2019, 12:32 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 98 Times in 50 Posts

Quote:
Silly. We have 20-30 people per week with 3 regulars over 1000 rating and the vast majority of players under 900.
but you said ratings are not an option...

Old 03-06-2019, 01:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 31
Niced 1,003 Times in 556 Posts

Quote:
My preference but failed us last year.
Everyone needs to get in on the chastising. Put those sandbaggers in their place.

Niced: (1)