Old 01-13-2010, 06:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

It feels wide and is bigger than the rest of my discs, but in all actuallity, you would be cutting it really really really close with a smaller diameter disc for it to make that big of a difference for a tunel shot.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2010, 07:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 35
Niced 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsw_03 View Post
Got to throw my new, 180g HPP Warrior alongside my other midrange discs yesterday. Definitely larger diameter than my Rocs, probably by 0.5-1cm, as alluded to a few posts up. It's a good bit shallower than the Rocs, almost like a large diameter Sniper/Gremlin. Mine was quite gummy, even in 40deg weather, so it'll probably be much gummier than the rest of my midrange discs in warm weather.

It flew almost identical to a seasoned 180g Star Rancho Roc, but with 0 turn and a nice, long fade at lower speeds that travelled much farther than it appeared in the air. Even into a 10-15mph headwind, it would not turn when released flat or with slight anhyzer, unlike my Rocs. Not a meathook (that's what my Gator/drone are for), but it might get a spot in the bag if it retains its HSS. Probably won't use it for tunnel shots though, since it's as wide as a house.
If you want one less gummy let me know. I was trying to get gummy and failed.

I have a pink 178 E HPP brand spankin' new in front of me...

\/\/
Old 01-13-2010, 08:53 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

i want a gummy one, the only thing that is makin me skeptical about actually buying this disc is the large diameter but i think i want to give it a go as it seems solid
Old 01-13-2010, 12:32 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 18
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I use a warrior as a mid range for driving off the tee, I can put a lot of power behind it and it will not flip over because of its over-stable nature. That being said it does fade pretty hard. The HPP plastic which is now called Evolution Plastic I believe, holds up very well, its durability compares mostly to champion plastic but my not hold up quite as well as champion.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 42
Niced 92 Times in 57 Posts

I like the Warrior a lot as an overstable mid, but as others have mentioned it is not quite as beefy as some of the other mids. I am very impressed with the glide though, and the shallow, rounded rim is also very flick friendly.

And if you are looking for more stable don't forget about the Zone as well. I've been throwing mine recently (ace #6 with it yesterday) and it is way faster and more stable than any other "putt and approach" I've thrown.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 115
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post
The Warrior listed in the PDGA specs is the Blaze in H plastic. Look at the date. I don't know what the deal is with the approval for the new Warrior is, though.
Does anyone know what the deal is with the new Warrior? Is it legal?
Old 01-15-2010, 05:24 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 135
Niced 2,244 Times in 851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinjack View Post
Does anyone know what the deal is with the new Warrior? Is it legal?
The new Warrior is a bad deal.

The rule is that you can change a mold and keep the name the same without going through the approval and the new mold is good. However, that rule is supposed to deal with "tweaks." The new Warrior is so different that it changes all of the statistics from the approval including the diameter and legal weight. So in that case I'm pretty sure the PDGA would rule that the disc is illegal. I mean, come on...the PDGA lists the legal wight limit of the Warrior as 175g and if you ask Gateway the legal weight is 182g. Something is obviously not right.

However, the PDGA is not going to rule the disc illegal unless somebody complains. Other discs have slipped through the cracks at one time or the other. The Gremlin was for sale for a long time and was not on the approved disc list. It was approved as the Ching Sniper, but technically it was illegal when the name changed. The Warrior is a similar deal as it is really just a retooled Element X. I'm sure it would be approved if it was submitted for approval.

So if you ask Gateway I'm sure they will say the disc is legal under the original Warrior approval. I'm also sure that if anyone pushed the issue with the PDGA they would say it is illegal. Part of the problem is Gateway not agreeing to cooperate with the spirit of the rule and trying to circumvent the approval process through a loophole. The other part is the PDGA not having a clear rule about how much variation is allowed in the original mold specs before re-approval is required, opening the loophole that GDS is trying to squeeze through.

So the answer is...I don't know. I'm pretty sure you could use it in a sanctioned event and not get in any trouble just like everyone got away with using the Voodoo before it was approved. I don't think it gives anyone an unfair advantage as I'm sure it is in compliance with the Tech Standards. But IMO it is not legal.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks, Three Putt. I kind of thought it was something like that. Weird though how they put "P.D.G.A Approved" all over it, with it being in this gray area of the rule.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:33 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 135
Niced 2,244 Times in 851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinjack View Post
Thanks, Three Putt. I kind of thought it was something like that. Weird though how they put "P.D.G.A Approved" all over it, with it being in this gray area of the rule.
Well, Gateway got a lot of publicity over the Voodoo flap. There was a picture of the disc on the PDGA homepage, and all of us dorks on disc golf message boards started talking about it...it was probably a good move from an exposure standpoint. If they could get that much publicity for the Warrior they would probably be pretty happy. So from that standpoint, not so weird at all.

But that is giving GDS a lot of credit. It's just as likely that they forgot to send it in.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

They do say that the only bad publicity is no publicity.