Old 08-11-2017, 02:31 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Destroyer vs. World

I used to throw destroyers as my main distance driver, reaching about 400 feet on average backhand drives. Unfortunately a few rivers here in Ohio and a few alligator infested swamps in Florida have swallowed them up for good. I've recently been throwing westside world's hoping to just try new plastic and try something other than destroyers. I have two pink 176g VIP worlds that seem to be pretty flippy on big distance drives. I can't recall having this problem when I was throwing star destroyers. Is it simply just the run and plastic of the world, or is the mold in general more flippy than a star destroyer? How do you guys think these two discs compare to each other? Which do you think is the better disc for the OS distance driver slot?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2017, 02:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 44
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 666 Times in 389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Helms View Post
I used to throw destroyers as my main distance driver, reaching about 400 feet on average backhand drives. Unfortunately a few rivers here in Ohio and a few alligator infested swamps in Florida have swallowed them up for good. I've recently been throwing westside world's hoping to just try new plastic and try something other than destroyers. I have two pink 176g VIP worlds that seem to be pretty flippy on big distance drives. I can't recall having this problem when I was throwing star destroyers. Is it simply just the run and plastic of the world, or is the mold in general more flippy than a star destroyer? How do you guys think these two discs compare to each other? Which do you think is the better disc for the OS distance driver slot?
I don't think the World in general is meant to be as overstable as a Destroyer (although there might be a few plastics/runs that are, others here might know). I'd say that if you want something more similar to a Star Destroyer from Westside, then try a Giant. Or just buy another Destroyer.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

I've thrown 5 or 6 Worlds, the one I throw is most HSS of all that I've tried...it's like a -0.5 but if there is more than mild headwind it will turn like -2 pretty easily. All the others I've thrown were like -2 turn in calm. I feel like they have more speed, less firm HSS, and a heavier late fade than the Destroyer (the Destroyer's fade can seem more though if it is a very HSS Destroyer). If you are looking for a HSS driver the World is too inconsistent I think. If you have the arm to guarantee it does a big turning drive and throw hard enough to delay the fade, then it's good.

I would look at Biofuzion Defender for the OS Destroyer slot that will beat in and get distance. It will start out quite overstable but let it beat in a little. The World will be a longer disc, but definitely less trustworthy. IME the Giant is very overstable.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 202 Times in 141 Posts

You want to try the World in VIP plastic (champ). It is way more overstable than tourney plastic. The world is longer than the star destroyer.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:02 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

My two worlds are both VIP plastic, but want to flip over without any wind present. Maybe the PLH is low on both and if I kept searching I could find more stable ones. But I don't know if the reward or an overstable world is worth the money and time to find a good one.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:56 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone know how the Brinster series destroyers are in comparison to regular star destroyers?
Old 08-11-2017, 07:00 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 993 Times in 651 Posts

The higher PLH Worlds are more stable, but your almost better off going with TP Giants. Closest Trillogy to the star Destroyer IMO.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:31 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've never thrown a Giant so I could give it a shot. But if those splatter star destroyers aren't overly beefy I might make a move on those.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

I can't tell you which Destroyers will be what you want without looking at the wing of that disc. But after your clarification on your Worlds, it's not worth looking to find an OS one, it still won't be as consistently OS as you want. TP Giant should be fine too, just Lucid/Elasto's that I've tried are very OS. Bio Defender should be similar to that type of Giant. I would move to one of those molds if you want a more OS World in Trilogy plastic.

You will definitely find Destroyers stable enough, but to an extent you'll have to find ones that aren't brick-like too OS.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:20 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 34 Times in 24 Posts

The world is widely variable in terms of stability, even of the same runs. I have 2 decodye worlds, one turned into a flip machine very quick, and the other is the most OS world I've ever had, and I've had around 6. The OS one is my go to world. It flies a lot like a nice seasoned defender or enforcer.