Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,378 Times in 704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by august dupree View Post
Just get a Pro Leopard.
This.

To add to this, you still have discs that are well suited to your ability and arm speed. Run from the discs forum. Run to the technique forum and start learning how to throw properly. It's not going to be a single watching/reading, and I'm throwing 500'. While it's fun to talk frisbees, you have a choice to make...talk about plastic or progress properly so you don't develop bad form habits that will lead to injuries.
Sponsored Links

Old 10-08-2017, 09:30 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 143 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmiller View Post
Base plastic is for putters and Rocs.
So you're saying the best Roc(3) is a DX Roc(3)? Wow...I'll have to remember that for the future - Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
Run from the discs forum. Run to the technique forum and start learning how to throw properly. It's not going to be a single watching/reading, and I'm throwing 500'. While it's fun to talk frisbees, you have a choice to make...talk about plastic or progress properly so you don't develop bad form habits that will lead to injuries.
Thank you for this great advice!

I'm only 4.5 rounds in but what I've found each round is that when I start the round my throws are not horrible but very inconsistent and short...maybe because I'm trying to throw too hard or maybe just a little bit of nerves as I move into this new sport. Then I pull out the Pure 5 or 6 holes in, because I have all kinds of confidence in this disc, and because I know it's a straight flying disc I concentrate more on a smooth level throw. Then I start throwing other disc with this same smooth level throw and my results start getting better as my confidence builds therefore my throwing speed increases. Then I start paying more attention to what the disc is supposed to do in flight and I find myself start playing the right disc with the right backhand throwing motion (ie: "This TeeBird is going so far out there and then fade to the left which will work perfectly for the shape of this hole. I'll aim at the tree in the middle and it will start fading before it gets to that tree and will be heading towards the target." And I actually pull it off...one of the best feelings in the world!) and by hole 12 or 13 I'm playing good solid disc golf with a lot of pars with a birdie thrown in once in a while (3 birdie 2's so far).

I guess what I need to do, other than run from the disc forum and the online disc store, is learn to find that smooth motion from the beginning of my round. Hopefully that is something that will come in time and with experience. Again, thank you for the advice!

TripleB
Old 10-08-2017, 10:44 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 83
Niced 320 Times in 217 Posts

You're on the right track TripleB. Keep learing that smooth level throw with your Pure and then it WILL translate to your other discs like your Pro Leopard.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-08-2017, 11:48 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 15
Niced 464 Times in 281 Posts

I just got a pro Leo, sweet disc. I still need to learn how to throw it, but it’s a tunnel shot machine so far. And yes DX rocs (not roc3) are the best rocs

Old 10-08-2017, 05:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 15
Niced 40 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
This.

To add to this, you still have discs that are well suited to your ability and arm speed. Run from the discs forum. Run to the technique forum and start learning how to throw properly. It's not going to be a single watching/reading, and I'm throwing 500'. While it's fun to talk frisbees, you have a choice to make...talk about plastic or progress properly so you don't develop bad form habits that will lead to injuries.
Listen to this. If I had this kind of advice in the first year I was playing I would have saved myself a lot of struggle getting rid of poor throwing habits. I max out at around 450 now thanks to this board and taking advice from guys like Tbird.

Where they land is a different story....
Old 10-08-2017, 10:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 21 Times in 17 Posts

I’ll echo pro leopard. That mold was made for pro plastic it shines in that plastic for sure. Glide’s well holds up well really well you really should snag one and like said maybe one for your son as an upgrade when his breaks in too much.

A dx teebird and a pro leopard is a deadly one/two combo that anyone should be able to throw.

Have fun and practice. Oh and putt, putt well, putt often.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:34 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Niced 143 Times in 78 Posts

I've been out several times with my Pro Leopard (after my 10 year decided he wanted my DX Leopard for his bag) and I just haven't found the love for the Pro Leopard that I had for my DX Leopard. It may be that my arm speed just isn't up high enough yet to get everything out of the Pro Leopard (which I think starts out more stable than the DX Leopard?) or maybe it just hasn't been beat in enough yet (although I've hit numerous trees).

Does anyone carry two different plastics of the same disc in order to cover different types of shots? I thought about adding a DX Leopard to the Pro Leopard in my bag since, for me, the flight and distance of the disc are a good bit different.

At one time I was thinking of adding a Latitude 64 River to my bag because of the straight as an arrow flight ratings. I thought it might be similar to my Lat 64 Pure but with added distance. I didn't know if a DX Leopard (or Leopard3) and Pro Leopard combo could cover that shot for my slower arm speed or not.

Thanks again to everyone's input!!!

TripleB
Old 10-15-2017, 12:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 83
Niced 320 Times in 217 Posts

A River is not going to give you anything that you are not getting from your Leopard (in any plastic). Keep working on your form and increasing your snap. It will come. Work on your grip. The grip is your engine room of your throw. It takes time to develop. I highly recommend trying to find a local pro that can give you a lesson. That will give you the opportunity to learn first hand what some of the foundational skills are and set you off on the right path without developing too many bad habits which are hard to undo later on. A pro can help you with things like grip and angles and footwork and developing snap.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:38 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 11
Niced 76 Times in 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
Does anyone carry two different plastics of the same disc in order to cover different types of shots?
This is pretty common. Not only carrying multiples of the same disc in different plastics, but carrying multiples of the same mold in the SAME plastic, but different states of wear. There's even a philosophy of bagging as few molds as possible, so you only have to be used to the 'feel' of a few discs while having a wide variety of performances.

I carry 2 Sidewinders. One is a Starlite 156g, and one is a Champion 175g. They are two VERY different fliers.

There's a pro named Philo Brathwaite that carries a stack of DX Rocs, something like 6 or 7, all beaten to various degrees to allow him to get the exact performance he wants from it. As they beat in more, he replaces the most stable, and retires the least stable.

Old 10-15-2017, 03:16 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 11
Niced 76 Times in 40 Posts

Sorry for the double post, but here's the 2016 'In The Bag' video for Philo. It should give you a great look at 'Mold Minimalism'.

He only carries Aviars, Rocs, Teebirds, Firebirds, and Destroyers, but multiples of each in different plastics and states of wear.