Old 05-26-2018, 07:44 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 306 Times in 174 Posts
Default Roc vs Comet

So I recently experienced the magic of a nice X Comet. You all were right.

Which leaves me wondering- if the Comet is a "copy" of an old Roc, what's the most Comet-y Roc a guy could get today? Would a plain old beat DX Roc have the same glide and finish? If so, how about a KC Pro? Would it just take longer to get there but then also stay there longer? And would it be safe to assume that no Roc3 would have the same glide, having such a flat top?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2018, 08:11 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,168 Times in 592 Posts

There is only one Comet. Accept no imitations.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-26-2018, 08:53 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,384 Times in 708 Posts

As Rocs season the dome naturally drops, but they don't stop gliding. A beat Roc won't match the Comet exactly, but it's close enough. The good thing about starting with Rocs instead of Comets is you have an overstable bookend the Comet can't really be.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:55 PM
Reptilian Disc Golf

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 14
Niced 549 Times in 217 Posts

Roc3 will never be able to achieve Comet lines. Comets are just too floaty and workable.

My most Comet like Roc was a really light KC Pro that I had beaten the tar out of.
It would fly straight but only with a clean pull.

I lost it unfortunately as it caught a tailwind and flew into a lake...
Old 05-26-2018, 09:04 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 135
Niced 2,264 Times in 859 Posts

So...

The Comet is a Roc copy. The two mids Discraft had didn't seem to cut it for some reason. The Hawk was more like a Shark copy. The Vortex was more like a Roc but it just wasn't a seller. So they had another run at a Rocish disc with the Comet.

However, the Comet came out in 1995. The Roc in question that it kinda/sorta copied was the Ontario Roc. O Rocs kinda/sorta were like Z Comets are now. They were pretty stable new. but not Sanny Roc stable. They had more fade than a Comet, though.

So O Roc to Comet when they came out, the Roc was more stable with more fade. The Comet was easier to throw and oh, oh, oh...that glide. Oh the glide. O Rocs glide nice, but not like a Comet. Never did. So there were noticeable differences between the discs at the time that they were released.

Once the Rancho Roc came out in '97, there was even less similarity between the Roc and Comet. Rancho Rocs are amazing things to throw, but you will never beat Comet-like glide into one. It just doesn't happen. Roc3's are Buzzz copies and don't fly like Rocs or Comets.

So would a plain old beat DX Roc have the same glide and finish? No. Nope. Sorry. Won't happen. Beat DX Rocs do their own magic, and I never leave the house without two. They will not glide like a Comet, though.

Old 05-26-2018, 09:12 PM
*Super Moderator*

It ends up being a weird question. Will a beat Rancho Roc glide like a Comet? Nah. Should you beat the snot out of a DX Roc and find out what a beat Roc does for you? Most definitely. I almost want to lie to you and tell you a beat Roc will glide like a Comet just to get you to do it.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-26-2018, 09:18 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,384 Times in 708 Posts

I always wondered why beat Rocs sell for less than freshies. They're priceless.

Niced: (3)
Old 05-26-2018, 09:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 724 Times in 507 Posts

Apples to oranges. I bag the prophecy only(very Roc3ish). Oh yeah, and a comet goes in if the course calls for it.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 122
Niced 559 Times in 344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
So...

The Comet is a Roc copy. The two mids Discraft had didn't seem to cut it for some reason. The Hawk was more like a Shark copy. The Vortex was more like a Roc but it just wasn't a seller. So they had another run at a Rocish disc with the Comet.

However, the Comet came out in 1995. The Roc in question that it kinda/sorta copied was the Ontario Roc. O Rocs kinda/sorta were like Z Comets are now. They were pretty stable new. but not Sanny Roc stable. They had more fade than a Comet, though.

So O Roc to Comet when they came out, the Roc was more stable with more fade. The Comet was easier to throw and oh, oh, oh...that glide. Oh the glide. O Rocs glide nice, but not like a Comet. Never did. So there were noticeable differences between the discs at the time that they were released.

Once the Rancho Roc came out in '97, there was even less similarity between the Roc and Comet. Rancho Rocs are amazing things to throw, but you will never beat Comet-like glide into one. It just doesn't happen. Roc3's are Buzzz copies and don't fly like Rocs or Comets.

So would a plain old beat DX Roc have the same glide and finish? No. Nope. Sorry. Won't happen. Beat DX Rocs do their own magic, and I never leave the house without two. They will not glide like a Comet, though.
Agreed. I've beaten in Ontario, SM and Rancho Rocs, and none had the glide of a Comet.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:20 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
I always wondered why beat Rocs sell for less than freshies. They're priceless.
Lose a fresh Roc? Whatever. I can get more. Lose a beat-in turnover Roc? It's Darth Vader time...

Niced: (3)