Old 09-21-2009, 08:42 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.5
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default gateway voodoo

Alright so I LOOOVE my wizards and have been curious to try a voodoo. Not so much for putting but more for driving. the gateway description confuses me. It shows it being more overstable than a wizard but then at bottom it says
"need something more stable try a wizard"
I love approaching and driving with my wizard but sometimes wish it had a tad more low speed fade at the end of it's flight. I love how when thrown hard it holds that dead straight line. I am speaking of putters too no midranges.
So is the voodoo more overstable than wizard or what?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2009, 09:17 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 40
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

looking at the voodoo flight chart that came with my discs, the voodoo has a 5 speed, 8 glide, 1 fade, 1 turn. wiz has a 4 speed, 8 glide, 2 fade, 0 turn. so from what i understand, the voodoo is more understable. i just got the voodoo about 30 mins ago, so i haven't had an opportunity to do anything but short puts in the house since it's raining
Old 09-21-2009, 09:36 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 4
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I carry both in my bag... when I drive them open field they land pretty close to each other. The Wizard goes straight and fades a little left of 0, while the Voodoo will turn and fade back to 0. The Voodoo is better at holding a line in my opinion, whether you send it on a hyzer or an anyzer, I use it quite abit for approaches.

HOWEVER, most of the stability in gateway's putters depends on firmness... I have a firm Wizard and Voodoo that are way more overstable than the ones I have in HPP.

What kind of drives are you looking for?
Old 09-21-2009, 09:38 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 1
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

The voodoo is a great driving putter it has a smaller bead then the wizard it is less overstable then the wizard also.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:00 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 55
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jartiv View Post
I carry both in my bag... when I drive them open field they land pretty close to each other. The Wizard goes straight and fades a little left of 0, while the Voodoo will turn and fade back to 0. The Voodoo is better at holding a line in my opinion, whether you send it on a hyzer or an anyzer, I use it quite abit for approaches.

HOWEVER, most of the stability in gateway's putters depends on firmness... I have a firm Wizard and Voodoo that are way more overstable than the ones I have in HPP.

What kind of drives are you looking for?
X2 on all counts...I have a voodoo and three different wizards in my bag...
Old 01-27-2013, 01:21 AM
Reptilian Disc Golf

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 14
Niced 549 Times in 217 Posts

Thread revival!
I'm here to make the case for the voodoo. I've seen a few guys on here who putt with them but not nearly enough in my opinion. I've been putting with a stack of soft voodoos for about 6 months and they are all seasoned to perfection. They are deadly straight on puts with VERY LITTLE fade on the drop. They are also nearly beadless when beat so they are amazingly comfortable in the hand.
While many people use the wizard and magic...I find the voodoo to be the best "putting" putter in the game. Anyone else out there agree?! My putting is becoming an asset instead of a hindrance and I credit it to practice and the smooth flight if the voodoo.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:41 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 24
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you want something similar to a Voodoo for a driving putter/ approach disc, then just get an Opto Pure and you will be super happy.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

From most stable to least: wizard, warlock, voodoo, magic

I putt with clutches so obviously I like straight flying putters. The wizard and warlock have too much fade for my taste. The magic is closer to a magnet than the voodoo which is more stable. They both fly and feel great, but both of them have a fatter rim edge that I do not like. The voodoo's edge is not very thick, just a hair thicker feeling than the average wizard, big bead aviar, or challenger. the magic's is thicker though, reminiscent of a putt'r. If you like straight putters with a thick rim feel you will definitely love either the voodoo or magic.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 19 Times in 14 Posts

I carry both. Not for any driving simply for putting. That said, I say without question the Wizard is more overstable.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 149
Niced 60 Times in 20 Posts

I too am a fan of the Voodoo. There are some slots in the bag that feel open to negotiation, but putter isn't one of them!

Feels great in my hand, so I regularly get a comfortable release. Flies straight and predictably.