#1  
Old 04-16-2017, 02:53 PM
Ermac010 Ermac010 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Courses Played: 43
Posts: 24
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default PDGA Ratings Changes

So I've been reading through the Q&A on the PDGA website pertaining to PDGA ratings and I'm cross-eyed. I recently began playing PDGA tournaments 3 years ago in the Northeast. The majority of tournaments that I played in were very small C-Tiers with an occasional B-Tier sprinkled in here and there. The level of talent at the time I thought was good but looking back the majority of Open players were barely rated close to over 975. 6 months ago I moved to Southern California and have been absolutely blown away with the level of talent here and the popularity of the sport. I considered myself in the Northeast a borderline Int/Adv player I was rated mostly around the low 900's but I had won a few Intermediate Division tournaments and had even won an Advanced Division tournament in the Northeast. Now I've been playing for 6 months in Southern California and have been getting my butt kicked pretty handily in the Intermediate Division. Not only that by I have noticed my round ratings have significantly lowered at the same time, almost to the point where I feel I have to shoot pretty well just to score a round over 900. While I could definitely play better I don't feel as if my game is that off. Another note is that the majority of these tournaments have multiple 1000+ rated players in it. My question is am I just playing bad and need to step up my game (probably couldn't hurt) or am I finding the drastic round rating changes in the fact that higher level players are playing in the tournament and scoring 1000+ rated rounds more regularly than I was finding in the Northeast?
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-16-2017, 03:02 PM
cjman cjman is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 68
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,130
Niced 131 Times in 66 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermac010 View Post
So I've been reading through the Q&A on the PDGA website pertaining to PDGA ratings and I'm cross-eyed. I recently began playing PDGA tournaments 3 years ago in the Northeast. The majority of tournaments that I played in were very small C-Tiers with an occasional B-Tier sprinkled in here and there. The level of talent at the time I thought was good but looking back the majority of Open players were barely rated close to over 975. 6 months ago I moved to Southern California and have been absolutely blown away with the level of talent here and the popularity of the sport. I considered myself in the Northeast a borderline Int/Adv player I was rated mostly around the low 900's but I had won a few Intermediate Division tournaments and had even won an Advanced Division tournament in the Northeast. Now I've been playing for 6 months in Southern California and have been getting my butt kicked pretty handily in the Intermediate Division. Not only that by I have noticed my round ratings have significantly lowered at the same time, almost to the point where I feel I have to shoot pretty well just to score a round over 900. While I could definitely play better I don't feel as if my game is that off. Another note is that the majority of these tournaments have multiple 1000+ rated players in it. My question is am I just playing bad and need to step up my game (probably couldn't hurt) or am I finding the drastic round rating changes in the fact that higher level players are playing in the tournament and scoring 1000+ rated rounds more regularly than I was finding in the Northeast?

I see huge variance in local disc talent when I travel.
I don't see the higher rated players causing the ratings to be more harsh.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-17-2017, 01:57 PM
Big Nasty's Avatar
Big Nasty Big Nasty is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Joliet, Il
Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 98
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 360
Niced 47 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermac010 View Post
So I've been reading through the Q&A on the PDGA website pertaining to PDGA ratings and I'm cross-eyed. I recently began playing PDGA tournaments 3 years ago in the Northeast. The majority of tournaments that I played in were very small C-Tiers with an occasional B-Tier sprinkled in here and there. The level of talent at the time I thought was good but looking back the majority of Open players were barely rated close to over 975. 6 months ago I moved to Southern California and have been absolutely blown away with the level of talent here and the popularity of the sport. I considered myself in the Northeast a borderline Int/Adv player I was rated mostly around the low 900's but I had won a few Intermediate Division tournaments and had even won an Advanced Division tournament in the Northeast. Now I've been playing for 6 months in Southern California and have been getting my butt kicked pretty handily in the Intermediate Division. Not only that by I have noticed my round ratings have significantly lowered at the same time, almost to the point where I feel I have to shoot pretty well just to score a round over 900. While I could definitely play better I don't feel as if my game is that off. Another note is that the majority of these tournaments have multiple 1000+ rated players in it. My question is am I just playing bad and need to step up my game (probably couldn't hurt) or am I finding the drastic round rating changes in the fact that higher level players are playing in the tournament and scoring 1000+ rated rounds more regularly than I was finding in the Northeast?
I'm no rating expert but my guess would be that with a much larger pool of players then your round ratings are more "true" than your previous location.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-17-2017, 02:26 PM
Cgkdisc's Avatar
Cgkdisc Cgkdisc is online now
.:Hall of Fame Member:.
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 692
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 12,248
Niced 1,609 Times in 730 Posts
Default

What about differences in course foliage density and terrain between the two locations being the key factor? I'm thinking courses in the northeast are more wooded on average than SoCal. Perhaps you play better in the woods than more open layouts?

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-17-2017, 09:11 PM
Ermac010 Ermac010 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Courses Played: 43
Posts: 24
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Absolutely the terrain is much different. I think the courses are even a a bit easier in SoCal cause of how wide open they are compared to the tight wooded courses in the Northeast. Out here in SoCal it's just grip and rip.

I just need to step my game up plain and simple.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-17-2017, 09:14 PM
Ermac010 Ermac010 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Courses Played: 43
Posts: 24
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I just figured that with a great pool of players rated over 1000 and shooting ridiculously low rounds wouldn't that have some sort of influence over the round ratings for the tournament?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-18-2017, 12:20 AM
DiscFifty DiscFifty is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,201
Niced 885 Times in 523 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermac010 View Post
I just figured that with a great pool of players rated over 1000 and shooting ridiculously low rounds wouldn't that have some sort of influence over the round ratings for the tournament?
I think the best scenario for ratings would be the open players and yourself shooting well. I think if you shoot great and they shoot bad, your rating will not be at it's highest potential.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-18-2017, 10:21 AM
Cgkdisc's Avatar
Cgkdisc Cgkdisc is online now
.:Hall of Fame Member:.
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 692
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 12,248
Niced 1,609 Times in 730 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermac010 View Post
I just figured that with a great pool of players rated over 1000 and shooting ridiculously low rounds wouldn't that have some sort of influence over the round ratings for the tournament?
The difference in type of courses means the players used to a certain terrain can have higher ratings playing those courses than on other terrain courses. You're just not relatively as good yet on more open courses as you were in the woods. That's not surprising. Players used to open courses in Kansas and Oklahoma can initially struggle in the Carolina woods and wooded players may not throw as far as those used to open courses and don't do as well in the wide open. The good news is those who play well in the woods seem to adjust to the open faster than players going from open courses to wooded.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-18-2017, 11:06 AM
Steve West Steve West is offline
Par Delusionary
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Years Playing: 45.5
Courses Played: 365
Posts: 4,983
Niced 1,691 Times in 831 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermac010 View Post
I just figured that with a great pool of players rated over 1000 and shooting ridiculously low rounds wouldn't that have some sort of influence over the round ratings for the tournament?
Only if they all shoot a lot more (or a lot less) ridiculously low than they usually do.
Reply With Quote
 

  #10  
Old 04-18-2017, 11:50 PM
Dan Ensor's Avatar
Dan Ensor Dan Ensor is offline
Sophomore
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Paris, MO
Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,497
Niced 101 Times in 70 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermac010 View Post
Absolutely the terrain is much different. I think the courses are even a a bit easier in SoCal cause of how wide open they are compared to the tight wooded courses in the Northeast. Out here in SoCal it's just grip and rip.

I just need to step my game up plain and simple.
Ratings aren't determined vs a course; they're determined vs players who are more experienced at playing "easier" courses.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PDGA ratings are up. How'd you do? gvan General Disc Golf Chat 3973 11-12-2019 05:31 PM
PDGA Ratings Aim For The Chains Tournaments & Leagues 60 03-28-2018 09:29 AM
New PDGA Ratings 3/29/11 BIgNik General Disc Golf Chat 7 03-29-2011 02:37 AM
PDGA Ratings unknown2no1 General Disc Golf Chat 2 11-15-2010 09:10 PM
PDGA Ratings harr0140 Tournaments & Leagues 25 04-24-2009 05:22 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.