Old 04-16-2017, 02:53 PM

Courses Played: 43
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default PDGA Ratings Changes

So I've been reading through the Q&A on the PDGA website pertaining to PDGA ratings and I'm cross-eyed. I recently began playing PDGA tournaments 3 years ago in the Northeast. The majority of tournaments that I played in were very small C-Tiers with an occasional B-Tier sprinkled in here and there. The level of talent at the time I thought was good but looking back the majority of Open players were barely rated close to over 975. 6 months ago I moved to Southern California and have been absolutely blown away with the level of talent here and the popularity of the sport. I considered myself in the Northeast a borderline Int/Adv player I was rated mostly around the low 900's but I had won a few Intermediate Division tournaments and had even won an Advanced Division tournament in the Northeast. Now I've been playing for 6 months in Southern California and have been getting my butt kicked pretty handily in the Intermediate Division. Not only that by I have noticed my round ratings have significantly lowered at the same time, almost to the point where I feel I have to shoot pretty well just to score a round over 900. While I could definitely play better I don't feel as if my game is that off. Another note is that the majority of these tournaments have multiple 1000+ rated players in it. My question is am I just playing bad and need to step up my game (probably couldn't hurt) or am I finding the drastic round rating changes in the fact that higher level players are playing in the tournament and scoring 1000+ rated rounds more regularly than I was finding in the Northeast?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2017, 03:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 68
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 131 Times in 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermac010 View Post
So I've been reading through the Q&A on the PDGA website pertaining to PDGA ratings and I'm cross-eyed. I recently began playing PDGA tournaments 3 years ago in the Northeast. The majority of tournaments that I played in were very small C-Tiers with an occasional B-Tier sprinkled in here and there. The level of talent at the time I thought was good but looking back the majority of Open players were barely rated close to over 975. 6 months ago I moved to Southern California and have been absolutely blown away with the level of talent here and the popularity of the sport. I considered myself in the Northeast a borderline Int/Adv player I was rated mostly around the low 900's but I had won a few Intermediate Division tournaments and had even won an Advanced Division tournament in the Northeast. Now I've been playing for 6 months in Southern California and have been getting my butt kicked pretty handily in the Intermediate Division. Not only that by I have noticed my round ratings have significantly lowered at the same time, almost to the point where I feel I have to shoot pretty well just to score a round over 900. While I could definitely play better I don't feel as if my game is that off. Another note is that the majority of these tournaments have multiple 1000+ rated players in it. My question is am I just playing bad and need to step up my game (probably couldn't hurt) or am I finding the drastic round rating changes in the fact that higher level players are playing in the tournament and scoring 1000+ rated rounds more regularly than I was finding in the Northeast?

I see huge variance in local disc talent when I travel.
I don't see the higher rated players causing the ratings to be more harsh.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-17-2017, 01:57 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 98
Niced 47 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
I'm no rating expert but my guess would be that with a much larger pool of players then your round ratings are more "true" than your previous location.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:26 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,609 Times in 730 Posts

What about differences in course foliage density and terrain between the two locations being the key factor? I'm thinking courses in the northeast are more wooded on average than SoCal. Perhaps you play better in the woods than more open layouts?

Old 04-17-2017, 09:11 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Absolutely the terrain is much different. I think the courses are even a a bit easier in SoCal cause of how wide open they are compared to the tight wooded courses in the Northeast. Out here in SoCal it's just grip and rip.

I just need to step my game up plain and simple.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:14 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I just figured that with a great pool of players rated over 1000 and shooting ridiculously low rounds wouldn't that have some sort of influence over the round ratings for the tournament?
Old 04-18-2017, 12:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 19
Niced 885 Times in 523 Posts

Quote:
I just figured that with a great pool of players rated over 1000 and shooting ridiculously low rounds wouldn't that have some sort of influence over the round ratings for the tournament?
I think the best scenario for ratings would be the open players and yourself shooting well. I think if you shoot great and they shoot bad, your rating will not be at it's highest potential.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:21 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,609 Times in 730 Posts

Quote:
The difference in type of courses means the players used to a certain terrain can have higher ratings playing those courses than on other terrain courses. You're just not relatively as good yet on more open courses as you were in the woods. That's not surprising. Players used to open courses in Kansas and Oklahoma can initially struggle in the Carolina woods and wooded players may not throw as far as those used to open courses and don't do as well in the wide open. The good news is those who play well in the woods seem to adjust to the open faster than players going from open courses to wooded.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:06 AM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.5
Courses Played: 365
Niced 1,691 Times in 831 Posts

Quote:
Only if they all shoot a lot more (or a lot less) ridiculously low than they usually do.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:50 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 62
Niced 101 Times in 70 Posts

Quote:
Absolutely the terrain is much different. I think the courses are even a a bit easier in SoCal cause of how wide open they are compared to the tight wooded courses in the Northeast. Out here in SoCal it's just grip and rip.

I just need to step my game up plain and simple.
Ratings aren't determined vs a course; they're determined vs players who are more experienced at playing "easier" courses.