Old 10-19-2018, 03:15 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 375 Times in 139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusted View Post
The first arc is create by the rotation of the torso which rotates the shoulder, since th arm is being dragged it looks like a straight line. The second arc is the elbow extension. Is this right?
I think it is real simple.

There are three arcs.

1. The central arc, which is simply the extension of your extended arm from your rotational center. the one we are addressing here.

2. The elbow folding and unfolding. I am starting to think that elbow folding is pretty much going to happen unless you are fighting it.

3. The arc of the disc around your wrist facilitated by your wrist bending back in the same manner as your elbow. This is more reaction than action. but I think many of the best throwers actively cockl their wrists back despite the claims to the contrary. I could post many examples.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2018, 03:22 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 491 Times in 191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Walker View Post
I think it is real simple.
3. The arc of the disc around your wrist facilitated by your wrist bending back in the same manner as your elbow. This is more reaction than action. but I think many of the best throwers actively cockl their wrists back despite the claims to the contrary. I could post many examples.
I call that "pre-cocking" and you're right, it's very common. I believe that pre-cocking the wrist is a simple physical reminder that waiting to initiate the arc needs to happen at the right spot. If you pre-cock the wrist, trying to throw from your left shoulder feels terrible, but once you hit center chest your wrist will go back to neutral and you can start the extension.

I like to pre-cock the wrist if I'm not liking my extension, as a reminder - and it does very quickly get me throwing more efficiently. It's always surprising how far forward that arc extension works best, probably more so coming from a background of two handed swings.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-19-2018, 03:25 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyzerUniBomber View Post
As I watched Bradley's throws from a few weeks back, I could see he was still using arm muscle to "crack the whip", which IMO is still too much muscle.
I could not agree more (so much so I tore my biceps muscle again WHICH IS NO BUENO-IT IS ALREADY HELD TOGETHER WITH SCREWS). Any videos I added were to be considered "before" videos. And were all made BEFORE I added any new concepts to the mix.

There have been (are) so many bad teachings, I have lots of them in my form (from way before DGR ever existed). That is why I am saying that for the future of my OWN throwing health, it is time to strip it all down into something easy and manageable, which the current teaching IMHO is not... again IMHO.

I am not going to borrow from anything that came before, and I am going to create my own language. I am going to use Kevin Jones as a model, because I think he has the most ATHLETIC looking throw I have ever seen and pretty much shoots down all conventions, which is a good thing.

Niced: (3)
Old 10-19-2018, 03:29 PM
Birdie Member

Again, just taking your left arm and sticking it into your right arm pit and saying that is where it will stay for the time being is step in the right direction... The essentially closes the left shoulder for the entire throw and gets rid of the counterweight of the left arm that serves to open the shoulders.

The biggest power leak I see is the shoulders opening like doing a swan dive. When the left shoulder opens the right shoulder opens, then you are essentially flapping at the disc.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:45 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 255 Times in 146 Posts

I constantly see people mentioning the opening of the shoulders and keeping the shoulders closed. What exactly does this mean? Are we talking about the shoulders in relation to the target? How does this relate to the actual position of the scapula through the throw?

Old 10-19-2018, 03:49 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I constantly see people mentioning the opening of the shoulders and keeping the shoulders closed. What exactly does this mean? Are we talking about the shoulders in relation to the target? How does this relate to the actual position of the scapula through the throw?
I am talking about the actual shoulder opening relative to your body.

If you open your arms like a swan dive that is what I call opening the shoulder. Or flapping.

Most beginners simply flap their arm in front of their chest from left to right.

If you take your left arm and put your left hand in your right armpit, your left shoulder is closed.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:51 PM
Birdie Member

Ricky Wysocki is another guy that generating all of his power from his left side. His arm is doing literally nothing on his backhand.

Old 10-19-2018, 04:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 126
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 822 Times in 372 Posts

Sorry if I missed it somewhere in the past 30 posts:

I have a hard time reconciling the "passive" throwing arm with the classic "lead with the elbow" mantra. Is that compatible, and I'm just thinking about it wrong?

I guess I could see it if the upper half (and thus the elbow) of the throwing arm is getting pushed out front by the driving rear shoulder. Then the lower half of the arm is the passive whip. That's essentially the American style, as I understand it.

But if the ENTIRE throwing arm is passive/whip, then I guess it sounds more like Swedish to me. In that case, it seems like this concept would be the rear HIP driving the motion with the front shoulder as the fulcrum. Practicing that motion in my office, it seems like the most direct kinetic link is rear hip to leading shoulder. Those two feel locked in place together as the entire throwing arm whips around. But the rear shoulder feels pretty passive to me, which is completely counter to the point of this thread.

So I guess I must be missing something.

Old 10-19-2018, 04:52 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 61
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 251 Times in 149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Walker View Post

...and then snap your left side around your right. Watch how your throwing arm will snap around you.
I was trying this at work earlier. I felt an increased amount of blood rushing into my hand compared to my normal throw.

I need to try this in my practice field, but I'm very interested in this idea.

Old 10-19-2018, 04:56 PM
Birdie Member

What is Kevin Jones? I don't think he is Swedish, I think he is from Arkansas.