Old 01-24-2019, 04:14 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 4
Niced 15 Times in 5 Posts

From what I can tell it's only on the blend plastics.

You have to tilt the disc and look almost a straight profile and you can see these tiny raised dots.

I can explain it this way. Just imagine a few grains of sand were on the top of the disc, then that disc received a slight rubber coating.

Like you can't really feel one raised spot it just feels more grippy... If that makes and sense.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 01-25-2019, 01:05 AM
Par Member

Default UPDATE:

Finished up the first week of Winter Marksman League with the Luna's

Actually, I had 3 Luna, and 2 P2's as my last 2 Luna didn't ship until today.

I had a few Open players, One former Jr World Champion, and One full ride sponsored player try the Luna and here is what happened.

First EVERYONE loved the plastic... Not one complaint, nothing but compliments and grinning faces.

One loved the plastic but needed a microbead, so it wasn't for him.

One loved the plastic and feel of the disc but it was way too fast of a disc for him. He's a full-on sponsored pro and uses the most stable putter his sponsor has. His normal putter is aimed a chain or 2 to the right and it fades center or right side of the pole, consistently. The Luna's would fly 20 foot pass the basket, consistently. He was looking for fade that never came at the speed he normally needs to putt with. (This is why I said they stay straight longer than my p2)

Former champ and the best putter in the league putts Aviar and spin putts laser straight strong flat putts center pole. He said they feel great and with his style of putting there wouldn't be much or anything to change in his style.

I'd putt the 3 Luna straight at the pole and have to putt the P2's what felt like twice as hard and slightly right side of the basket to hit the pole where the Luna just went farther, straighter and needed less energy to get there.

I think that's part of the reason that my score went up this week despite the feeling of putting apples (Luna) and oranges (P2). I can simply use less force, which gives me a smoother stroke and better control over the disc, and the glide helps it get where I want it.

Overall its a done deal at this point, Luna's have proven their worth. Looking forward to next week when I have 5 Luna and can see what I can do... and the first Tourney is this weekend so they will really be tested as approach and putters.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Jules B; 01-25-2019 at 01:08 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:12 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 293 Times in 192 Posts

I'd chime in and say that the best word I had to describe the plastic would be gritty. I thought it felt great, I have chronically dry hands, so having that gritty texture helped give me really good grip. They're also fairly stiff, which is nice, I'd put them on par with Zero Hard or cold KC or S plastic for bending stiffness. I haven't putted with them, just felt a couple someone brought to a putting league.
I'm not paying $19 or whatever for some midgrade plastic putters though

Niced: (2)
Old 01-25-2019, 12:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 31
Niced 1,014 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasissouth View Post
Oddly for me, I don't mind paying more for putters. It's the mold you use the most of, and ultimately determines your round. I've recently purchased 5 putters at $17 a pop, and another 4 at $15. Mid/base plastic with a custom stamp, but they were the perfect shade of purple.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 12
Niced 940 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
I'd chime in and say that the best word I had to describe the plastic would be gritty. I thought it felt great, I have chronically dry hands, so having that gritty texture helped give me really good grip. They're also fairly stiff, which is nice, I'd put them on par with Zero Hard or cold KC or S plastic for bending stiffness. I haven't putted with them, just felt a couple someone brought to a putting league.
I got one and like it as a thrower but yeah, I have similar options that don't cost $20.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:20 PM
Par Member

Quote:
I bought 2 to test then another 3 when I realized they simplified my bag and would help my score. Wanted 5 for the putting league and practice..

For what it's worth I previously putt S-line plastic, so I wasn't paying base plastic prices for putters either way.

So far worth the purchase, but I do understand price vs plastic augment.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:56 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 21
Niced 37 Times in 24 Posts

Is it just me, or does the Luna seem like a Roach3? Slightly flatter, lower profile, a bit more OS?
Old 01-26-2019, 10:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 98 Times in 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabman View Post
Is it just me, or does the Luna seem like a Roach3? Slightly flatter, lower profile, a bit more OS?
Its been described as challenger top, roach bottom
Old 01-26-2019, 10:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 98 Times in 56 Posts

Quote:
I think people have it in their head that non premium plastic is a plastic that isnt champ or star like. Honestly I would describe this as a premium plastic, it wears steadily and it doesnt show chain wear. It will obviously wear faster than champ or star like plastic but slower than something like DX, D, or Classic. I may be reaching here and Ill probably get called out for being a fan boy but thats just my thoughts on the plastic. That said these are 20$ for one reason only, its a Paul mcbeth tour disc so a good chunk of that money goes to him, also its a prototype putter in prototype plastic

Old 01-31-2019, 04:38 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,177 Times in 1,604 Posts
Default McBeth Prototype/Luna Report

Got my Paul McBeth prototype putter in the mail yesterday and took it to the course today.

When I first felt the texture, the word 'gritty' came to mind. Not in a bad way, but the PM putter was not nearly as smooth as my Jawbreaker APX. The 'gritty' texture is not bad for grip on a cold day like today.

The McBeth plastic is firmer than Jawbreaker, but not by a lot. It is not as firm as I was expecting it to be based upon reviews here and elsewhere. It is not as firm as Classic/ZeroHard.

It's not beaded, but it putted well for me. I had one putt from circle's edge (30 ft. based upon stepping off the distance) that went straight in, and several more from various distance that flew straight and true into the chains. It's a very straight putter. It also has a little bit of glide; it is not a brick by any means.

I threw it a few times between holes (from one basket to the next tee, etc.) I was surprised how straight the Luna was, especially with the flight numbers assigned. It did not fade very much at the end of its flight, either.

Overall, the McBeth putter flies a lot like the Warden or Marshal. A beaded version of the Luna would suit me just fine. I'm not paying anywhere near $100 for 5 of them, so it probably won't be in my bag, but if I wasn't settled on my putter already, the Luna would be a candidate to stay in the bag, fer sure.

The listed flight numbers are 3,4,0,2 (and the Discraft number of 0.0, whatever that's supposed to mean). I'd give the flight numbers as 2.5, 4, 0, 1.

Overall, a good disc. Discraft and McBeth have a winner on their hands.