Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: Putting is?
Putting is too easy, narrower basket would be nice on challenging courses 84 17.43%
Putting is about right, keep the basket size 383 79.46%
Putting is too hard, Make the baskets bigger 15 3.11%
Voters: 482. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-27-2016, 10:23 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 27 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillybizz View Post
Exactly. Stop blaming the basket, blame Fred! He's your caddy/catcher, bro.
Hmmm. A solo sport needlessly turned into a team sport. I like it! Just look at what it did for curling!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2016, 10:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consult20 View Post
Might be a lot more suspensions for kicking over baskets though. But on the flip side, that equates to more dgcr "bad boy" threads.
Only counts if it's a permanent basket. Otherwise you're just a whimp who can't face up to the fact that you can't hit your putts.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consult20 View Post
I've never thought watching someone blink was exciting -- now a yawn, that's some fun stuff!
So, if you blink, yawn and sneeze at the same time, what's it called? And should you be given a courtesy warning?
Old 12-27-2016, 11:01 PM
* Ace Member *

I'm for a basket standard. As many have pointed out, players all play the same baskets, but a standard means you have the same expectations course to course. Then, you can ask the greater question being addressed here: what is a gimmy? And what do we want it to be?

I'll argue all day long that putting should be harder, but that should be accomplished by green design, not by basket design. That is easy to say, but it would take serious effort. You can start with NTs and or majors.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:02 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 99 Times in 53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
The best disc golfer in the world thinks putting is too easy. I tend to disagree, but that's just me.

In related news, summer grass just told Kermit the Frog that it IS easy being green.
I happen to agree with you Stardoggy. For the guys/gals who are pros and the others who can play constantly year-round and have been playing 20+ years, I can imagine putting might be too easy for them. For us regular peeps who play maybe 1 time a week, weather permitting, for about half the year that isn't frozen, snow covered, pouring rain, etc. putting is already hard enough as it is outside of 25 feet. If pros want harder putting courses (smaller baskets, etc) then let them be built and hold the tournaments on those harder courses, but leave the recreational courses just the way they are. Just my humble opinion.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40
Courses Played: 95
Niced 1,391 Times in 535 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz58 View Post
I happen to agree with you Stardoggy. For the guys/gals who are pros and the others who can play constantly year-round and have been playing 20+ years, I can imagine putting might be too easy for them. For us regular peeps who play maybe 1 time a week, weather permitting, for about half the year that isn't frozen, snow covered, pouring rain, etc. putting is already hard enough as it is outside of 25 feet. If pros want harder putting courses (smaller baskets, etc) then let them be built and hold the tournaments on those harder courses, but leave the recreational courses just the way they are. Just my humble opinion.
You have nothing to worry about there. Parks will not spend money on new baskets because some pros or the PDGA or anyone else thinks putting isn't hard enough.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:45 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 271
Niced 86 Times in 59 Posts

Putting is way too easy compared to golf. I have three aces in golf in the past 41 years of playing and had 21 aces and numerous 50' + throw ins in disc golf in the first 10 years of playing because the dg target is so large. If the PDGA decided to mandate a smaller target for specific tournament play (majors, NT's and A tiers) vs standard targets for B, C and X tiers tournaments, the ratings system actuaries and gurus would possibly have to amend the ratings formula (currently, you have a better chance of unlocking the Coca-cola or KFC recipes than understanding the formula) to be fair and consistent which is never happening.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 127
Niced 3,891 Times in 1,643 Posts

"Compared to golf" is a terrible standard. Imagine disc golf putting with the same percentages, from the same distances, as golf. Put those 3-footers in doubt for most of us. Imagine if those distances were scaled to the lengths of the fairways---so the 1-footers were now in doubt.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:50 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 35
Niced 223 Times in 85 Posts

I'll just throw this out here for consideration. I've been involved in target archery for the last 6 or 7 years, just started with disc golf in the last few months.

There are several different games in target archery, there are indoor "spot" rounds (shooing at paper targets), outdoor 3D rounds (shooting at foam animals) and outdoor spot rounds. Of the outdoor, there are many different games, one is referred to as Field Round. The NFAA is the organization that is the keeper of this round and also runs several tournaments a year, as well as sanctioning others, as well as state level clubs that do the same on the state level.

The Field round is currently 14 targets at distances from 20 feet out to 80 yards, and are 4 different sizes depending on how far the shot is. These targets have a black center that scores 5, a white ring that scores 4 and a black ring that scored 3. From what I have read, at one point in time in the 70's the face and scoring was changed, the black center 5 was bigger and the rest of the target scored a 4. The NFAA felt the game had to be made more difficult due to the improving technology of compound bows and mechanical release aids, as well as improvement in sights. After this change was put into place, the NFAA lost members in droves, shoots began to loose participants, and now Field Archery that used to be a huge, barely hangs on, with very few field courses available anymore.

Now, archery isn't gone, and may be more popular than ever. The big game now is 3D archery, and that may or may not have still happened if that rule change never occurred. The argument was that it was the same rules for everyone, there was just a new "normal" score for people. The reality is that those that were used to shooting in the 540's out of 560, just couldn't stand that now their scores were 520 or worse.

So before anyone decides that Pros shooting -30 or a tournament is bad, or that average players shouldn't be shooting "par" or under par, just remember there may be a lot of people that will just quit when the hole they usually take a 2 on, now becomes 3's and 4's.

Don't change the whole game for EVERYONE, just because there are some people that want to make the numbers for the top players in the world look a little better on a leader-board.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:02 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 31
Courses Played: 702
Niced 1,896 Times in 841 Posts

Rather than messing around with more difficult baskets, I'm thinking you first decide what you want putting to look like and its related stats, then redesign the equipment and rules to achieve that goal. And note, this issue is primarily relevant to play at the top pro level. There's no apparent reason to change the target for all other levels of play unless maybe it's improved to further reduce fluky results with cut-thrus and bounce backs.

The first goal is not really making putting tougher but to increase scoring spread for top pros in the putting process. The implication is that currently, our top players are putting too well that the process doesn't produce scoring separation. In ball golf, putting is so difficult that the threat of 3-putting exists even at the highest levels, even when they are expert at leaving their longer range lags or misses within 5 feet of the cup.

Simply making our putting a little bit tougher will not increase scoring spread but more likely reduce it as has been shown in some narrow chain basket tests in the field. Players that used to go for 40 footers have been laying up instead resulting in more players two-putting whether they are good or just average putters. So to gain more scoring separation, I would say we need to really make putting more difficult from 5 feet, where even the best putters miss 25-33%, so 3-putting is more common. Adding this close putting drama isn't the savior for getting more spectators but may increase the interest a bit more among player viewers.

Some ways to achieve this would be a much longer post. But narrow chain targets do not appear to be enough. And second, is increasing scoring separation enough reason to make a change or are there other goals that should also come into play to make it worthwhile? And reiterating, any of these changes would ONLY BE FOR TOP PRO PLAY. No changes for everyone else.

Last edited by Cgkdisc; 12-28-2016 at 10:06 AM.