Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Other Gear

Old 04-04-2017, 10:21 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 28
Niced 579 Times in 226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDan View Post
They aren't allowed in B tiered PDGA tournaments, like Provincial Championships; so if if you were to buy 18 baskets for a pop up course, you couldn't buy the Black hole Pro or Black Hole Pro HD basket.
This does seem a little strange. I ran 6 PDGA c tier events on them last year and they work better as a basket than something like the Mach V. Only complaint I got about them was visibility was poor (I've added reflective bands) and there was one 400' ace spit out, but TBH that could have happened on any basket. I've had people telling me they have had the best putting rounds of their lives on them.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2017, 01:58 PM

Courses Played: 41
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

That sounds like perfect news. I can handle a little rust :-). I ordered one and it should be here tomorrow! Can't wait. Thanks guys for the insight
Old 04-06-2017, 08:12 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhatton1 View Post
This does seem a little strange. I ran 6 PDGA c tier events on them last year and they work better as a basket than something like the Mach V. Only complaint I got about them was visibility was poor (I've added reflective bands) and there was one 400' ace spit out, but TBH that could have happened on any basket. I've had people telling me they have had the best putting rounds of their lives on them.
No doubt they are great baskets and catch well! I have a MVP black Hole Pro myself and when I heard they were upgrading it with an "HD" model, I was hopeful they would modify the dimensions so they would be be upgraded from PDGA "C" tier, to PDGA "B" tier level.

So, perhaps PDGA should modify their standards and allow a variance then if these baskets catch so well?
Old 04-07-2017, 08:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 405 Times in 240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
Ah i see what you mean. Im surprised they are not compared to some of the others on the list but have no idea what makes one basic/standard/ champ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDan View Post
No doubt they are great baskets and catch well! I have a MVP black Hole Pro myself and when I heard they were upgrading it with an "HD" model, I was hopeful they would modify the dimensions so they would be be upgraded from PDGA "C" tier, to PDGA "B" tier level.

So, perhaps PDGA should modify their standards and allow a variance then if these baskets catch so well?
The "target zone" is too small on the MVP's -- has to be 51cm +/- 3cm -- the MVP's are 46cm. Any others on the approved list that are outside that spec were grandfathered in (pre 2009).

I modified my practice basket to be within the championship basket specs by lengthening the two poles by ~3" each.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by Consult20; 04-07-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:14 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 28
Niced 579 Times in 226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consult20 View Post

I modified my practice basket to be within the championship basket specs by lengthening the two poles by ~3" each.
How did you lengthen them? and do you mean 3 cms each
Old 04-07-2017, 09:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 29
Niced 405 Times in 240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhatton1 View Post
How did you lengthen them? and do you mean 3 cms each
The top piece on the clone I have is about 3", it normally screws onto the top to hold the top assembly in place. I just relocated it under the top assembly and had a washer/nut welded inside the top part so I could use a bolt to secure the top assembly -- no more 3" piece sticking out the top. It also raised the chains perfectly so they don't sit on the cage bottom. It's like the chain lengths were made for the extra 3" pole length, but the pole configuration was not.

For the bottom pole, I just got another one of the 3" top pieces and had it welded directly to the bottom pole, effectively raising the cage up ~3" (7cm).

I also slid gray plastic conduit sections over the poles which substantially reduced pole bounces outs, as well as quieting the chain/pole bang noise to a muffle. Added sections of clear tubing as separators to keep the inside chains centered as well.

Edit: the black hole baskets are based on this base (hive) design.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1181.jpg (160.9 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1182.jpg (103.1 KB, 55 views)

Old 06-01-2017, 04:06 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,113 Times in 747 Posts

The pro basket is really nice. Glad i gave my **** costco basket away and had an excuse to buy new basket.

Catches damn well and super easy to set up. Seems a hair short vs course baskets but i actually like that vs allowing high putts when practicing anyway. Feels like putting on normal course chains. The HD must be a damn tank same with portals. Reg pro is plenty heavy enough to be moving around for practice so im very happy.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:23 PM

Courses Played: 26
Niced 4 Times in 2 Posts

Anybody own the Pro HD yet? I'm looking to buy one and they seem to be out of stock at most places besides Amazon. Knowledge of any deals to be had on these would be appreciated!
Old 07-27-2017, 03:11 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,113 Times in 747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbarg View Post
Anybody own the Pro HD yet? I'm looking to buy one and they seem to be out of stock at most places besides Amazon. Knowledge of any deals to be had on these would be appreciated!
It was out of stock for a while but MVP has them available to order now. I assume some sites havent updated yet.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 131
Niced 826 Times in 372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbarg View Post
Took the plunge on the HD myself, very happy with purchase. Able to snag one through our DG club as we had an extra one on hand. Quick and easy to set up and take down, no tools required.