Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 04-13-2017, 01:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 164
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,189 Times in 587 Posts

My "collection" is just stuff I haven't thrown yet or in a while. And backups for days.

Good old KC Rocs with straight rims, older USDGC Rocs (they almost all get thrown), 9x, 10x, and 11x Gazelles, and just about every 1.1 zippertop OLF I find.

Oh, and a big stack of Wizards that say "Stickin' Putts".
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2017, 02:04 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 130
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

My collection evolved from molds that I throw - it started from stockpiling backups. Typically if I don't have at least one in my bag I don't own many of them. I usually trade stuff away quickly just to get molds I prefer. My bag is Destroyers, Maxs, Firebirds, Teebirds, Banshees, Whippets, Cros & Blowflys - So I have many (a big understatement) of each of those in various plastics. I've owned some nice Rocs, Eagles & Valks but I don't throw them so they get traded away. I have traded some from the collection but usually when getting something in return that fits even better.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 31
Niced 1,256 Times in 679 Posts

Every tourney I've ever played, I ask/or choose a green disc. They're the last color anyone goes for, so they're easy to get. These go on the wall.

I'm also collecting the DGA midnight flyer series, so I can make a giant wall clock, one day.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 141
Niced 284 Times in 127 Posts

I normally will buy tour or sig series of discs that I like to throw, and will get 2-3 depending on the mold. Those sometimes become collectibles but I bought them to throw and support certain players. Like I have a couple first-run McPro Aviars because I bought 3 and threw one of them all that year, then they became valuable. Same for a couple 1st-run Sexbirds and a few older Avery Team STAR discs when Innova was doing that.

Not a collector on purpose, and have donated several to charity events to auction off.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 69
Niced 95 Times in 65 Posts

This is an interesting thread to me because I'm not a collector...of discs or anything. Haha.

Not against it really, just not my nature. I wonder sometimes if collecting stuff is, like, a bug, and you either have it or you don't?

It's not something that I'm into DOING, but I find the whole thing fascinating, how things can, over time, gain value far beyond their initial value, utility-wise.

Always makes me think of this movie scene:

Old 04-19-2017, 07:51 PM
* Innova: Choice of Champions *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 23
Niced 41 Times in 15 Posts

You know, early in my disc golf life I dabbled with some collecting. All my friends were doing it. It was around and easy, and I was kind of bored. Pretty soon, I started displaying all the symptoms. I would ignore work responsibilities because an auction was ending at noon. I would ignore family while searching little disc shops' inventory hoping to find secret gems. It became less about having fun and more of a daily habit. I was hooked - I was an addict. Luckily, "help" found me. I didn't even have to go looking for it - it contacted me!

The non-profit disc golf addict help line at 1-800-THE-WIFE counseled me, and the program was extremely effective. The root of the program is simple - your "sponsor" repeats the following statement: "you're spending waaaaaaay too much money on plastic. You don't need the 200 discs you already have. You need to stop."

And I pretty much did. I've got my problem under control. But I know that if I go on the lookout for just ONE special edition, or ONE limited run, I could be right back where I was in the throes of addiction.

Niced: (3)
Old 04-20-2017, 02:02 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 65
Niced 42 Times in 24 Posts

I collect Gazelles. It was one of the first three discs that I bought. Of course I then started buying discs like a mofo and would replace one every darn time I had a bad shot. Never did have a bad shot with the Gazelle, but it went into the box for the longest time anyway. Then I reintroduced it hundreds (or thousands) of dollars later and it was still the best disc for me. Picked up a couple of Stars, a few heavily inked 11x's, and then it was all over. I have somewhere around 75 of them now, and probably half of them are rarities that won't see flight.

You could also say that I collect Buzzzes, but that's only because I use a stack of 11 or 12 for field work. None are mint anymore.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-20-2017, 07:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,307 Times in 646 Posts

I pretty much only buy throwers, or things I intend to throw. Sometimes I keep the cool ones after I decide they won't make the bag for whatever reason (like the 4 fresh HL terns I have stored)

I did buy one collector disc though - a Ron Russel signed Comet with a brainwave dye on it. I think it's the only disc I've ever bought without the intent to throw it. Never tried to speculate on disc values - to me it's too much work for too little return, I'd rather speculate on trading card games where the return can be incredible just a few years later.

I do want to get some Jen Allen teebirds though, even though I'll likely never throw them. Or Philo Rocs when they actually come out (hopefully)

Last edited by VictorB; 04-20-2017 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 573 Times in 246 Posts

When I started playing in 2008, I purchased a ton of used discs because I was curious about how all the different discs and plastics would work for me.
When I found out later that quite a few were collectibles, I was hooked. CE, First Runs, OOP's you name it, I had it.
Still have most of them.
I'll get a message every now and then from someone looking for a disc that's listed in my Disc Organizer.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:58 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 30.9
Courses Played: 42
Niced 120 Times in 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Howl View Post

I'm also collecting the DGA midnight flyer series, so I can make a giant wall clock, one day.
That's pretty cool.