* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,624 Times in 1,939 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animage View Post
What's your go to 4 disc refocusing?
Well, it would normally be a Wizard/Buzzz/Leo-Leo3/Teebird-Teebird3 but I found myself trying to throw "harder" and faster and not being smooth and actually kind of hurt my back.

So I decided to throw a Comet again to make me slow down and focus on being smooth and I can actually push one out further than a Buzzz because I tend to throw mids higher anyway.

So I guess my current: Focus/Comet/Sting/Undertaker would be my answer. I would build it based on stuff that works for you and discs you find easy to throw at your power, without trying to do to much and overexert.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2018, 01:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 29
Niced 21 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
Well, it would normally be a Wizard/Buzzz/Leo-Leo3/Teebird-Teebird3 but I found myself trying to throw "harder" and faster and not being smooth and actually kind of hurt my back.

So I decided to throw a Comet again to make me slow down and focus on being smooth and I can actually push one out further than a Buzzz because I tend to throw mids higher anyway.

So I guess my current: Focus/Comet/Sting/Undertaker would be my answer. I would build it based on stuff that works for you and discs you find easy to throw at your power, without trying to do to much and overexert.
Well worth trying. Are you using the Focus off the tee or just to putt with?
Old 08-15-2018, 01:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Well worth trying. Are you using the Focus off the tee or just to putt with?
Off the tee, but I purposefully don't push it past like 210. I try and work the Comet for most holes 200-280. Again, slowing down and not trying to kill anything.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
Off the tee, but I purposefully don't push it past like 210. I try and work the Comet for most holes 200-280. Again, slowing down and not trying to kill anything.
Sounds perfect. Do stings hyzer flip well? Using them for the straight to turnover shots and undertaker for stable shots? Honestly I don't think I'd ever need more than 4 discs if I really thought about it.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:01 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 35
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 73 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
What's your go to 4 disc refocusing?
Not that you asked me, but...

XL/Banshee/Comet/Putter of the week

My ESP XL is pretty neutral. The Banshee is for tricky stuff or flexes. But it's mostly Comet. Or a Magnet this week.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-15-2018, 02:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Sounds perfect. Do stings hyzer flip well? Using them for the straight to turnover shots and undertaker for stable shots? Honestly I don't think I'd ever need more than 4 discs if I really thought about it.
The Sting definitely hyzerflips well. 90% of the time I'm throwing it on hyzer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buiscutboy View Post
Not that you asked me, but...

XL/Banshee/Comet/Putter of the week

My ESP XL is pretty neutral. The Banshee is for tricky stuff or flexes. But it's mostly Comet. Or a Magnet this week.
I could roll with that, Banshee is awesome.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Well went out with just a few discs and my only issue is I just don't like carrying that little amount just as much as I hate carrying a ton. Even throwing 2 discs for an entire round, I felt awkward carrying 4 discs.

I think I'm going to roll slow for a while. I've been enjoying the feel of the magnet lately, but for putting only. Kinda lost on a driving putter lately.

Putter: 174 Jawbreaker Magnet
Approach/Whatever: 173 Pro D Zone

Understable Mid: 175 Champion Panther
Stable Mid: 175 Z Comet
Stable/Over Mid: 175 Z Buzzz

Understable Fairway: 175 Z Sting
Main Fairway: 167 Z Mantis
Overstable Fairway : 173 Z Undertaker

Utility: 167 Z Flick

Undertaker is new and very untested, bought based on Streets' posts. It's heavy, but we'll see. Main use is to be used in any heavy wind, even though I usually care very little about wind. I can't throw the Flick for a normal throw and I love it. It kinda just does weird throws better than anything else, including my old Firebirds/Banshees that I used to like. Pretty sure I tried to throw a forehand roller with this and it flipped out of it and hyzer'd out. I can't forehand though.

I'm tired of not just giving the Mantis the love it deserves. It's beautiful. My favorite disc ever and I just keep trying to get other discs for whatever reason. At 280 feet I get some turn in the air, or I can hyzer it and get the same distance. It will hold an anny and get out of it. My Z is a domey one with a very gummy flight plate. I have a Biz Z one as well but it's much flatter and unthrown.

Sting needs more time on a field, on the course I feel like I'm hyzer flipping it and still tracking right, but I'm just going to flat out say I'm not dialed in on it yet. Based off my first throws, going to say this will probably be my furthest disc when I get used to it.

Panther is newer to me, but liking what it's doing. Comets are not the understable disc I can use, tried this before and I actually turn the buzzz easier than comets on actual lines. I have no issues with a flat buzzz throw and has plenty of normal fade for me, doesn't matter if it's windy. I also just like to carry both the comet and buzzz, comet is not as useful for me in the woods as a hyzer flipped understable throw.

I can't drive a Magnet for poo, I've never carried a putter that I didn't have a driver version of either. We'll see what I do with the magnet/zone. Comet goes just fine short distances dead straight and zone should handle the left motion fine. Understable putter shots should just be a ****ty forehand from me from undertaker/flick I imagine.

Distances from what I've gathered on an open basket.

I can drive a Roach/Aviar 210 controlled. I don't really try to do more, I'll find a tree to hit somehow on a further putter throw.

Comet probably 230 without an issue, the Buzzz probably 240/250 without care. Mantis and everything further hitting around 280 without tearing my arm out. Z XS was hitting 290/300 for me, but I don't think the 10-20 feet was worth a slot - hoping for more of that 320/330 if I'm using distance drivers.

This is a long post.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

170 R-Pro Aviar - Putting
175 Champion Aviar - Driving/Approaching

177 Champion Mako3
176 Star Roc3

166 Neutron Drift - Understable/Stable
168 DX Teebird - Old and reliable
167 G-Star Teebird - We'll see how this one is
172 Champion Banshee - Meathook/Utility

169 VIP Hatchet - Understable
168 Lucid Escape - Stable

I shouldn't be throwing the distance stuff, not much more distance than my Fairways. Went back to all reliable things. I don't really enjoy putting with aviars, but I do enjoy driving this particular champion aviar. The midranges are easy staples. Mako3 is the easiest distance I've had discing. Drift is an amazing leopard clone but feels better. This gstar teebird needs some work on it before I'm comfortable with it, I should just take all 10 teebirds I have and find which one I like the flight of the most. I like my teebirds to not be avertable, but reliable stable.

I'm going to see how long I can commit to this setup, and if I get the urge to use one of my larger bags to just have backups and stages of wear of these. I have multiples of all these discs.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 5
Niced 927 Times in 644 Posts

I liked the last bag better with the Panther / Comet combo... I do like the drift addition.. BTW you can get cool thumbers with a Panther.

Throw the Comet... believe in the Comet....

Old 08-22-2018, 10:22 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
I liked the last bag better with the Panther / Comet combo... I do like the drift addition.. BTW you can get cool thumbers with a Panther.

Throw the Comet... believe in the Comet....
Comets have never been a problem for me. They fly beautifully for me. Already broke my own commitment last night while putting discs away. Going old.

175 Jk pro aviar - putting. Pre r-pro
175 PFN Star aviar driver

174 x comet - my oldest one
174 DX Roc - reverse stable stamp. Dead straight.
174 DX Roc - fresher flat marshall street big bird
173 PFN kc pro 12x roc- overstable for me

168 PFN DX eagle x - new
168 11x champ eagle L - new
169 PFN 12x eagle x - new opaque
167 PFN Star eagle x - new. Marked sex on back

167 Star sidewinder - pop top. Maybe some distance
172 PFN Champion Banshee - marked distance driver. Probably overlaps hard with the champ eagle x.

We’ll see if this lasts. I feel like as disc golf got faster, I got worse. Maybe ancient plastic will treat my lackluster performances better. Jk aviar was first putter I ever bought. Got a pair of them in 2009. Rapidly replaced them because the internet told me I needed stiff wizards back then.