Old 10-28-2018, 09:01 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 174 Times in 88 Posts

I will share what is working for me. I'm an older player that doesn't have a ton of arm speed but I play alot. I've been playing for around 5 years and have experimented a bunch and have boxes of discs in my basement to prove it.

What I have done for the last year is just cut my bag down to 2 discs. I am using a Jade opto driver weighing 157g for everything from off the teepad to the putting circle. For putting I am using a ION proto plastic weighing 175g. On really windy days I will substitute a Volt weighing 175g for my driver.

While I may not necessarily have the best disc for a given shot, I find that I really have gotten to know the discs that I am using and have confidence in them and it makes my game simple. The only change that I see in the future is that I may start using the ION for approach shots a little further from the basket. Hope this helps you in some way, it really has helped me with my game this past year.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by wproct; 10-28-2018 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:53 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 7
Niced 33 Times in 20 Posts

I just played my first tournament this past saturday and dumbed down my bag to:
- Neutron Wave
- Echo Star Leopard
- DX Roc
- Star Mako3
- DX Aviar
- Pro Dart

I feel like I really enjoyed not trying to flip through everything to find the right disc as almost everything in my bag had its own purpose. I still caught myself debating between multiple discs for certain shots. I kept the dart in there for approaches 100' and less since it is pretty flippy. Aviar was treating me a little better that day but I'm still not sold. Mako3 was flying everywhere I wanted it to and felt good on just about every shot. Both my Wave and Leopard were flying great as well and doing mostly what I wanted them to do. The Wave tended to turn over on a lot more shots than I was used to seeing, I might be strong arming it or not putting enough hyzer on launch. If I can nail that turnover timing down though I think it would be a great turnover driver.

I love my DX Roc and have thrown it for many years and as has been mentioned previously, it's very beat in and flies straight/turns when I 'givah sum'. I'd like to see what an overstable Roc feels like so I might try the KC Roc suggestion.

thanks everyone for the suggestions and help. I think my next goals are finding the right putter (I really put on a terrible score due to my putting and I'm normally not that bad) and either figuring out what my issue is with the Wave turning over so quickly or trying to find something a little more overstable to compensate.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:13 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.8
Courses Played: 29
Niced 170 Times in 86 Posts

Have you tried craigslist? You probably want to place it in the "Gigs" section under "talent".
Old 10-29-2018, 10:44 PM

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 15
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bogey View Post
One other thing—

Watch out for disc lots where the discs have a bunch of different names/phone numbers on them. In that case, chances are that the seller found the discs and made no effort to contact the owners. If the discs are all inked with the same name/number I generally assume that the seller is getting rid of his own discs. Discs with no ink are to be preferred, obviously.
Not a true assumption. More are water hazard discs.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:46 PM

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 15
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I'd get a leopard in champ and maybe a lep3 while you are at it.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:46 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 127
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 334 Times in 101 Posts

http://discpath.haxor.fi/

Niced: (1)
Old 10-30-2018, 01:59 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.8
Niced 121 Times in 63 Posts

Quote:
One other thing—

Watch out for disc lots where the discs have a bunch of different names/phone numbers on them. In that case, chances are that the seller found the discs and made no effort to contact the owners. If the discs are all inked with the same name/number I generally assume that the seller is getting rid of his own discs. Discs with no ink are to be preferred, obviously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkka_Sinisalo View Post
Not a true assumption. More are water hazard discs.
The way I see it, a found disc is a found disc regardless of whether it's found in the weeds or in the water. I know some pond divers believe that they earn ownership of all the discs they fish out, ink or no ink. I'm of the opinion that those who don't want to go to all that bother for the sake of someone else's property should just stay out of the water.

That's just what I think. If others disagree, so be it.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,406 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
The way I see it, a found disc is a found disc regardless of whether it's found in the weeds or in the water. I know some pond divers believe that they earn ownership of all the discs they fish out, ink or no ink. I'm of the opinion that those who don't want to go to all that bother for the sake of someone else's property should just stay out of the water.

That's just what I think. If others disagree, so be it.
If one abandon one's disc, it is no longer theirs, regardless of where it is found or if it is inked.

Courtesy is to call the number, if inked. One should treat others as they wish to be treated.

Some courses may have rules on what to do with found discs, but that is another matter
Old 10-31-2018, 03:30 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 127
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 334 Times in 101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
If one abandon one's disc, it is no longer theirs, regardless of where it is found or if it is inked.
I don't know, there are times when I've "abandoned" my disc after looking for 30-45 minutes (on land an in water), and someone just happens to look in the right place at the right time, like when a creek finally dries up, or a field that was 5ft tall gets mowed. That's how I often find people's discs. I always call if I see a number, and will try to get the disc back to the person who paid for it.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:43 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.8
Niced 33 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake833 View Post
I don't know, there are times when I've "abandoned" my disc after looking for 30-45 minutes (on land an in water), and someone just happens to look in the right place at the right time, like when a creek finally dries up, or a field that was 5ft tall gets mowed. That's how I often find people's discs. I always call if I see a number, and will try to get the disc back to the person who paid for it.
I understand both mentalities but there is a line to be drawn somewhere in there. If a name/number is on the disc I will call it and try to get it back to the owner. If there is none, I will turn it into the clubhouse in hopes that the owner comes back for it. That's always a gamble though since anyone could come in and say "yeah, I lost a brand new red star destroyer have you seen it?" and walk away with a free disc.

I also just had an experience where I lost my go to MVP Glow Proton Ion a few months back. Spent an hour looking for it after a colossal kick across an entirely different hole. Came back yesterday and someone had turned it in. Started using it during that round and realized that may be my putter of choice going forward. The Aviar was not cutting it but that Ion just feels good and flies so straight.