Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

View Poll Results: Are you brand loyal?
I'm brand loyal. I just throw X and here's why: 27 14.21%
I basically just have one brand in my bag, because it's what's available. 3 1.58%
I primarily throw X, but I have bag spots with other brands. 80 42.11%
No way I'm brand loyal! I find what works. 76 40.00%
Wait... these plastic things are made by different companies? 4 2.11%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-2018, 07:35 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 90
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 101 Times in 52 Posts

I throw only one brand, Discraft and here is why? When I started my first few discs were from Discraft. Those served me well and then a few were added from Innova. For many years I tried various discs to find what I like and it was mostly a mixed bag. Eventually that turned into an all Innova bag, and it was like that for a few years.

Well, a few years in Innova announced CE plastic wasn't going to be made again. My bag was mostly CE plastic with some old Aviars and Rocs. I realized that my bag was going to be very expensive to keep the same discs. It was already rather valuable at the time with many OOP and limited run discs (01' CE Roc, CE Aviar, San Marino Rocs, and other first Run CE discs). That year I played the first year of the Am Nationals in 2002. I did well enough to cash and got some Discraft plastic. I also saw how awesome that tournament was and how well even as lowly AM's we were treated by Discraft. So after that tournament I went to an all Discraft bag. I traded a lot of my old CE plastic away and got a bunch of Discraft in the process to try out.

My most played local course back in the day (Kensington Tunnel) was only a 10 minute drive from the course so on occasion we would see the owner of Discraft, Jim Kenner out there. A few times he would be out there testing new prototype discs. On those occasions he would hand them to a few of the Pro or Advanced Am players to throw them and give him feedback. Its cool to say your were involved in the testing process. I still have a few Discraft prototypes sitting in my collection.
Sponsored Links

Old 12-02-2018, 08:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17
Courses Played: 87
Niced 150 Times in 97 Posts

I've played with mixed bags forever, then I started to find that one brand clicked with my style of throwing and plastic taste more than others. Since then I have gradually moved to an all discraft bag, minus putters.

It was fairly easy to with the expecting of the teebird. The vulture now cover the teebird shots.

Wizards are magical and I would rather change my bag to all gateway before getting rid of the wizard.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 5
Niced 932 Times in 646 Posts

I'm fairly brand loyal for simplicity.. If they make a Disc and it flies like x disc but broken in etc it makes it easier to guess my next buy. That said I used to love Discraft and I always have a Comet in the bag but it's all Gyro except for that and an occasional Glowfly.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:10 AM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 175
Niced 776 Times in 356 Posts

Been throwing Innova for over a decade. I throw half a dozen molds and I have hundreds of backups. At this point it would be dumb of me to switch.

Niced: (2)
Old 12-03-2018, 08:22 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 298 Times in 182 Posts

Not brand loyal so much as mold loyal. Even then, there are some I can interchange pretty easily.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:15 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 23
Niced 209 Times in 135 Posts

Don't care. My bag is mostly Innova, but the only Innova mold that had solidified its spot in the bag is the Teebird. Everything else, even the Firebird, could be replaced one day.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:19 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.8
Courses Played: 62
Niced 335 Times in 187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
...I'm brand familiar more than anything,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlynorwegian View Post
Brand lazy, more like...
These two are where I'm at. Started with Innova because of what was available locally. As I rebuild my game, it's easier for me to stick with what I know.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:54 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 30
Niced 515 Times in 319 Posts

Thinking about this thread some more, I feel like the brands I'm the most loyal to are the ones that have a flight rating that is accurate for my personal game. I tend to throw with a bit of hyzer plus I don't have the biggest arm in the world, so some of the brands that are commonly besmirched as "flippy" actually fly like the numbers for me. It makes it easier for me to pick up a new Westside or DD mold and be relatively confident that the disc will fly as it's supposed to. To contrast, Innova discs typically (but not always) have far less turn for me than their flight rating would indicate

Niced: (2)
Old 12-03-2018, 04:49 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 130
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
Been throwing Innova for over a decade. I throw half a dozen molds and I have hundreds of backups. At this point it would be dumb of me to switch.
Sounds exactly like me. I have tried and still try a lot of stuff from different companies but it never seems to be good enough to kick an established mold out of my bag. Too set in my ways with way to many backups.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 604 Times in 444 Posts

Mixed is where its at. Theres so much good stuff out there. Throw what you like and what works. I have added a lot more MVP/AXIOM over the last year - but for no other reason than I wanted to try it and ended up liking it. I still mix up my bag by a few discs almost every round. Just depends. But yeah, they're a liar if anyone says that one company is the best and has everything. that's not true. Innova is great, but their putter plastics suck and they don't have a Zone, Discraft is good but their molds are all over the place and have no identity - but lately they have made improvements, Trilogy is overflooded with flippy drivers, Gateway just doesn't do enough haha, Prodigy had consistency issues and tried to buy up everyone, MVP is missing some key discs. With all that said. I really like something from all of them. and If I needed to I could bag 1 company and make it work. ...But I like my mixed bag