Old 01-16-2019, 10:04 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 33 Times in 20 Posts
Default How important is front heel rotation?

What I mean is during my x-step or even a one-step, when I am shifting my weight to the front for the throw I always plant my toes down first and slam my heel down afterward to initiate the hip rotation (at least I think I am rotating hips, I'll get a video up one day). After my heel touches the surface my follow-through begins and I rotate on my toes and not my heel.

My question is, is this hindering my rotation in any way or is it an ironclad rule to follow through on your heel vs. your toes?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2019, 10:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.9
Courses Played: 194
Niced 154 Times in 86 Posts

Your weight is too far forward at the brace and your on your toes because youd fall over forward if you werent

Slow down and stop trying to kill it.

Without a video thats about all i can say. Its a common mistake though

Old 01-16-2019, 11:40 AM
Par Member

The video thing is something I've been trying to figure out for awhile now. I only have a phone and nothing to put it on, my wife hates disc golf (no clue how that happened) so I can't have her hold the camera and my friends don't really play anymore. I'm gonna find some spare wood and hinges to build a tripod for my phone I think.

Anyway, I know I strong arm heavily. That's something I've been working on all winter it feels like. When I really slow myself down and stop the strong arming I still feel more comfortable on my toes during my follow through. Every time I try to force myself to use my heel, it throws my balance off and I tend to start falling down before I catch myself or I throw skyward because I can't shift my weight properly.

Any tips on how to make it feel like it is supposed to happen versus forcing it?
Old 01-16-2019, 11:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.9
Courses Played: 194
Niced 154 Times in 86 Posts

Dont "try" to use your heel just stop lunging forward.

Try throwing at a standstill until you stop ending up on your toes. My guess is your posture is off because you are leaning too far back at the reach back and then lunging too far forward. It will feel weird, but once you get that down it will be easier to add in an x step

Niced: (1)
Old 01-16-2019, 12:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,605 Times in 1,650 Posts

When you're walking think of how evenly weighted your are on each foot. And how your balance just rolls over the whole foot...but also if you slowed down to almost a pause you can always maintain balance. Same thing in a throw, obviously it's a different motion but you should be able to maintain balance at every point.

Don't aim for a certain part of the foot rotation. It changes a bit based on speed/power and stride length. On really short shots my front leg is more upright and I feel like my whole foot or outer edge of the foot releases. With more power then the foot is "out there" in front of me more and with more momentum through the throw I find the toes just tend to lift a bit and the heel rotation happens. Basically it feels the same and the way the foot moves is a result of your overall balance.

If you aim for heel rotation, usually you end up too far behind the front leg and jam the heel into the ground, so you actually never get on balance on the front leg. If you are getting toe rotation, it's usually from pushing your upper body too far forward or too fast forward or never being balanced with your spine on the front leg.

Basically look at follow through and how the foot rotates as a result of your balance...fix the things before it and the follow through will be better.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-16-2019, 03:43 PM
Par Member

I don't have a run up per say but I mostly do a walking x step where the last part is a bit more explosive then it should be. I'm leaning towards the pushing myself too far forward during my weight shift. I will try to slow my shift down or even just throw from a one step and slow down my weight shift.

I really need to get a video up, I'm just trying to copy the pros at this point haha.

Thanks for the insight and advice!
Old 01-16-2019, 04:14 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.8
Courses Played: 62
Niced 330 Times in 183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geer_Boggles View Post
...I only have a phone and nothing to put it on, my wife hates disc golf (no clue how that happened) so I can't have her hold the camera...
For the phone, I use one of these. It came with a cheap tripod I bought from Best Buy.

You can also get it, and a small tripod for $5 at Staples.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-16-2019, 04:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geer_Boggles View Post
I don't have a run up per say but I mostly do a walking x step where the last part is a bit more explosive then it should be. I'm leaning towards the pushing myself too far forward during my weight shift. I will try to slow my shift down or even just throw from a one step and slow down my weight shift.

I really need to get a video up, I'm just trying to copy the pros at this point haha.

Thanks for the insight and advice!
Without seeing your throw but from the way you are describing how it feels and what happens, I can almost guarantee you are keeping your spine/balance aligned with your back leg and pushing your torso forward "over the top" of the plant. This causes a late push feeling, early opening up for the throw, and balance continually tipping forward.

If this is indeed what is happening, then going slower doesn't really change it, it just makes the aftermath less chaotic and emphasized. The solution is learning how to throw from the front leg, usually one leg drill and standstill throws help.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,202 Times in 1,946 Posts

Depends on how it's done.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:23 PM
* Ace Member *

^Yeah that's an example of huge hyzer tilt so the foot doesn't even really release.

I think what I'm feeling more as my balance approaches more correct, is that I'm feeling less free pivot be it on heel or outer foot or what. It feels like you should just be over the foot firmly and it will pivot because it HAS to at some point...but you're so balanced it almost feels stuck into the ground. If you throw say 40% power the foot may not move at all. At 70%+ power it will pivot open quite easily. Then different body angles will also change how it looks a bit. The point is you aren't making a conscious decision between any of these situations...it all feels like the same goal going into the brace, just your balance determines where the foot pivots.

You can see in that shot, Wiggins throws farther than any of us can dream of and his foot doesn't move at all until his arm is way behind him.