Old 01-28-2019, 11:40 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 38
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 89 Times in 32 Posts
Default How to improve 1st round of play

I was looking over my PDGA record for the last couple years and I've noticed a trend. My 2nd rounds are typically much higher rated vs. 1st rounds. I pretty much only play 1 day, 2 round events. So that 1st round is crucial. Some of these tournaments are on different courses so that could play into it for some. But I can still feel a lul in performance most 1st rounds. I don't think it's as much physical as it might be mental. Maybe I'm not fully awake.

My tournament routine: The previous night, I'll think through teeshots and envision how to birdie each hole. Day of, I'll get to tourneys early and try to get loose as possible before the 1st round. Normal pre-round stretch, putt some, drop turd, and play several holes.

But I still don't I don't feel mentally prepared to compete, more of a lack of focus. Jitters on a putt, poor upshots, missing those "free-birdie" holes. As the 1st round comes to a close and for the 2nd round I can feel more competitive and I'm focusing on my shots more.

How do you get that from round 1 hole 1. How do you get mentally prepared to come out the gates hot? To be a killer from the start.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by xyman621; 01-28-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:58 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 18.9
Courses Played: 113
Niced 24 Times in 15 Posts

I have noticed that sometimes it takes me a little bit to get going too.

One thing i have thought about: I practice and play fun rounds after work. On weekends I like to sleep in, get some stuff done around the house, and then go play a round or two. The only morning rounds i play are tournament rounds... I wonder how much it would help to try and get some morning practice rounds in so it isn't so foreign.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 194
Niced 745 Times in 485 Posts

So far, in three tournaments, my first rounds have averaged 20 points higher than my overall rating.

I think I'm less worried about my round than most people I play with. I almost never practice throws before the round. I know what tee shot I will throw on every hole, I throw some putters or play catch at short distances, and I practice inside-circle putting. Works for me. I do play serious, however. I take my time choosing shots and remembering the things I need to remember to execute. It helps that I don't have particularly high expectations...

Then it seems I "live down" to those same expectations for the rest of my rounds.

Last edited by armiller; 01-28-2019 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,606 Times in 1,650 Posts

I don't have that much experience with high pressure rounds, but...Do you get stressed before throwing, like does your night before routine of thinking through how to birdie each hole, as well as considering some holes "free birdie" holes give you added pressure before you even step into the box? Then maybe in the second round you just "are where you are" regarding score placement so you just feel through it a bit more and rely on your strengths?
Old 01-29-2019, 12:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 5
Niced 932 Times in 646 Posts

I prepare with.. Lots!! of putts practising up to the event... sometimes a day off before but solid putting practice for the week before and short approaches... I slug a ton of water down and make sure I eat snacks or breakfast.

Morning of I like to throw a few in my yard and get the motion or get there a half hour early and get some 150' shots in to test the waters get a feel for which putter to start with and which mid is holding straightest.. See if I'm throwing full power or if it's time to think about discing down a bit..

When it's time to gear up I practice stupid short putts nothing but confidence.. get into my putting routine.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:10 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

I like to throw a couple holes. If I start on hole 5, I usually play 2-3-4 and if time then throw a few on 5 before putting.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:05 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 25
Niced 931 Times in 778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyman621 View Post
I was looking over my PDGA record for the last couple years and I've noticed a trend. My 2nd rounds are typically much higher rated vs. 1st rounds. I pretty much only play 1 day, 2 round events. So that 1st round is crucial. Some of these tournaments are on different courses so that could play into it for some. But I can still feel a lul in performance most 1st rounds. I don't think it's as much physical as it might be mental. Maybe I'm not fully awake.

My tournament routine: The previous night, I'll think through teeshots and envision how to birdie each hole. Day of, I'll get to tourneys early and try to get loose as possible before the 1st round. Normal pre-round stretch, putt some, drop turd, and play several holes.

But I still don't I don't feel mentally prepared to compete, more of a lack of focus. Jitters on a putt, poor upshots, missing those "free-birdie" holes. As the 1st round comes to a close and for the 2nd round I can feel more competitive and I'm focusing on my shots more.

How do you get that from round 1 hole 1. How do you get mentally prepared to come out the gates hot? To be a killer from the start.
Get to the course early and play a hole often a shorter as if you are playing the course tournament style, often with a PDGA tournament they have a tournament book for any odd mandos and the like that now have to be marked obvious some way.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:36 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 7
Niced 33 Times in 20 Posts

This will be the first year I'm going to be getting my PDGA number/membership so this thread is very insightful. I'm also getting my first practice basket after tax returns. Surprisingly, putting is where I'm most confident about my game. I've practiced putt placement and form in my backyard using my kid's swing set and picking points on it where I "imagine" the basket to be.

I've been playing doubles and my real struggle is the drive off the tee. Same as the OP, for the majority of the first holes I'm absolute junk but mostly with my drives and upshots. Power is not there, control is non-existent, shanks are numerous. I think the biggest thing for me will be to get my practice basket and get out there an hour or so before the round and loosen up my arm. I'm 31 so my arms get stiff if I don't do something before cranking on a disc anyway.

Another thing I think I need to do is to slow my role when I start my rounds. I tend to be insanely competitive so when the pressure is on I go beast mode and not in a McBeth way, more like the "shoot for the stars". It's almost like I just get excited and jittery and quick to throw instead of in a casual round when I am pretty chill and can lace my lines where I want them more often than not.

I'm just spouting off useless things but figured I would let the OP know that we jittery 1st rounders are out there too. Best of luck overcoming yours!

Last edited by Geer_Boggles; 01-29-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:46 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 38
Niced 89 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
I don't have that much experience with high pressure rounds, but...Do you get stressed before throwing, like does your night before routine of thinking through how to birdie each hole, as well as considering some holes "free birdie" holes give you added pressure before you even step into the box? Then maybe in the second round you just "are where you are" regarding score placement so you just feel through it a bit more and rely on your strengths?
This is a great thought and I'd have to say I'd say I am adding pressure before the hole starts. "I HAVE to get this hole, I missed #4" is a common thought. The night before is helpful to envision, then execute, plus helps me know what disc I want to throw, but could see it adding onto that.

That first round I do feel a sense of pressure, and every bad shot compounds that. I'd say I definitely feel more relaxed, less anxiety, and less stressed in the second round, especially if I'm middle of the pack. "I am where I am, might as well have fun with it."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geer_Boggles View Post
It's almost like I just get excited and jittery and quick to throw instead of in a casual round when I am pretty chill and can lace my lines where I want them more often than not.
This is it too. I need to work on staying relaxed and focused on the moment. I try to follow the same routine in casuals and tournaments, but I find my mind wandering off in tournament play.

Next tournament I'm going to try and think less about performance/results. Treat it more like a casual round, fun and relaxed.

Old 01-29-2019, 02:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 12
Niced 490 Times in 349 Posts

I'm usually the opposite, where my morning rounds are better, but the last tourney I played in, I shot a pair of identical scores (my second round had 3 straight 6s and I blew a giant [8] lead on holes I had parred the round before).

Best advice I can give is to make sure you eat before the round and have water on the course with you. I find myself reaching for my water to cool my nerves and as a result am more focused.