Old 02-01-2019, 08:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 5
Niced 924 Times in 641 Posts

I'm obviously biased got a 165 proton 3 or 4 years back and it is get for my putt.. I use a light spin lob and the error margin on it is ideal for my throw. I always try to hit the basket with a gentle hyzer.. I'm deadly within 40 ft with that putt 50-70 I have issues after that it's a light line drive or I will switch out to a proton Spin.. I do hit a fair few of my ugly range ones though just not more than 60 percent.. Probably 30 percent on outside 70. I use a plasma 166 low shoulder and puddle top.. The extra stability on a light touch Anny bias gives me the 5ft of loft I missed on the Neutrons.

Electron glides like crazy and is a good way to go for a fresh replacement of a used friend. As it wears it starts to get Proxyish but that's not a bad thing. Less bounces with electron IME.

I wasn't big on the soft neutron lots of guys dig them I find them most S in flight..
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 02-01-2019, 08:13 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,113 Times in 747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyjos View Post
Hey guys, thanks for making this a topic in the forums.

Would someone mind answering a couple of questions that I have regarding this disc? Preferably someone who bags envy and knows a little bit about it.

A) I notice that most people use it as an approach disc, but when it comes to using an inside-circle putter they use something different. Does envy have good viability as being used for both, or should I look at maybe sticking with something a little different for close putts?

B) I've heard neutron soft is the way to go with envy. I currently bag plasma. My big issue with plasma is that it seems to bounce a lot and my envy rolls more than any other putter I've owned. Would switch to soft fix these issues?
a disc like the envy with decent form could pretty much kill any city/rec course out there from drives to upshots and putting. You will eventually find IMO that all the discs roll the same being round regardless of stiffness it comes down to odd angles etc. Ive had bowflys roll like hell and they are floppy as as a pancake with syrup.

Issues in disc golf generally come from the thrower not the molds. They all work well even some odd ones but simply put the envy is a putter/mid/driver and worth mastering angles distances etc. Nothing better for my game then learning to throw putter molds well early on. Drivers are cute and fun but for most really just a crutch to be able to throw consistently or far etc.

I could even really care less about DG as "how good am I" but nothing more fun than throwing putters far and well.

lids included....

WHERE IS THE LID MVP?! FU.

Niced: (2)

Last edited by Aim For The Chains; 02-01-2019 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:14 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 29
Niced 507 Times in 314 Posts

I LOVE throwing Envies and wanted to try to condense molds a bit this offseason, so all winter long I've been putting Envies rather than my typical Crowns. Both molds are a tick to the overstable side and I do put quite a bit of spin on my putts, so I didn't find that I had to compensate at all for the flight. It did take a while to get used to the feel of such a shallow beadless putter, but I've started hitting my putting stride with Envies recently. I actually drained three straight birdie putts today from apx. 45, 25, and 60 feet. I wouldn't say the Envies have improved my putting compared to Crowns, but I'm now equally comfortable with them.

If you find that the Envy is too stable for you, then you could always bag an Electron and use it as a thrower for a while. That will beat it in to being much straighter of a putting putter. Right now I've got three Envies in the bag:
Electron Envy - C1 putting
Beat Electron Envy - C2 putting and US approaches
Neutron Soft Envy - driving putter and stable approaches
Old 02-01-2019, 08:19 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 29
Niced 507 Times in 314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
I used a soft N envy for nearly a year as a thrower and putter. The only reason I changed was the Atom coming out in the Electron. It gave me better grip in the cold/wet but they had more or less a similar flight. Other people prefer deeper, bigger beads, different stability, etc in their putting putter but will still like to throw envys.
^^^^^This. A Neutron Soft putts perfectly fine, but the grip on Electron is infinitely better for putting in cold and wet conditions. Neutron Softs still throw great in the winter...but man oh man is it tough to get a consistent release out of those things when putting in the snow.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:27 PM
FROLF OFF!

One thing to really keep in mind with MVP discs is go lighter vs normal with putting putters. They preform so well even at the 150 class and just glide like hell. The 150 ions are so damn fun to throw and do not change in stability at all. The 160-67g envy/proxy make for a great complementary putting mold to the max wt-ish throwers. Specially in baseline vs premium.

Niced: (2)
Old 02-01-2019, 08:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Geez you guys are making me blush.. Probably not intentional.. I picked up my light one about 3 Envys in and there's no going back.. Solid stability + light weight.. My plasma is straight!!!! All the way to 175' and flex annys to 170+ easy, hard annys - 60-160'. FH drives- bam!

I can do a lot with it, I feel like I have a solid advantage on one disc rounds. Yeah it's replaced a lot of my discs covering putter to fairway.

MVP lid- try the Spin I hear it's the Comet of putters haha

Niced: (1)
Old 02-01-2019, 09:37 PM
FROLF OFF!

The spin is fun and almost frisbee-ish with its US but still not a gyro Fing lid.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
The spin is fun and almost frisbee-ish with its US but still not a gyro Fing lid.
Yeah the Spin is no lid... I did throw a lid a lot this week and it's not all its cracked up to be.. I think my affection for it is a solid flippyish gyro fun factor kind of thing, it's the closest MVP has to lid flight.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:22 PM
FROLF OFF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
Yeah the Spin is no lid... I did throw a lid a lot this week and it's not all its cracked up to be.. I think my affection for it is a solid flippyish gyro fun factor kind of thing, it's the closest MVP has to lid flight.
only real good DG lid on the market these days besides the polecat that actually can handle power at normal golf wts but still can find in the low low too is the OG upshot. hell of a fun disc to throw.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:22 PM
*Hiding in Mike C's Closet*

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 27
Niced 116 Times in 70 Posts

I cant find any Envy's in 150 class, but i did find a N fireball in 149g last year and that has been one of the most fun discs to throw.

Now im curious to try a light envy in electron, whats the lightest you guys have found?