Old 02-06-2019, 06:59 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 40.6
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 184 Times in 99 Posts

Coming from a golf background, my formative disc golf friends and I often discussed this lack of a 'carry limit' in disc golf. One idea we generated was a weight limit for tournaments. For example, players might be limited to 2500 grams of discs...

It's important to recognize the reason for this club limit in golf is the desire to have players rely more on their native skill rather than their equipment and I see no reason why limits of this sort would be inappropriate for X-tier events, despite the potential administrative hassles.

Personally, I appreciate the effect on play speed that a 'reduced' bag has...KISS.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2019, 08:01 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.6
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 82 Times in 41 Posts

DX Wraith
ProD Undertaker
CryZtal Z Undertaker
DX Valkyrie
Opto Diamond
Champion Banshee
2 Buzzz
DX Shark
Prime Warden
Dx Aviar
Centennial IPA
Yuengling
Old 02-06-2019, 08:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 127
Niced 3,891 Times in 1,643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeonDwindle View Post
Coming from a golf background, my formative disc golf friends and I often discussed this lack of a 'carry limit' in disc golf. One idea we generated was a weight limit for tournaments. For example, players might be limited to 2500 grams of discs...

It's important to recognize the reason for this club limit in golf is the desire to have players rely more on their native skill rather than their equipment and I see no reason why limits of this sort would be inappropriate for X-tier events, despite the potential administrative hassles.

Personally, I appreciate the effect on play speed that a 'reduced' bag has...KISS.
Perhaps in golf, it was a mercy rule for caddies.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-06-2019, 09:29 AM
Par Member

Quote:

I think disc golf varies vs ball golf in the skill level regard. For example, I bag about 10 discs and if I was given more, I'd have no clue what to do with them. My most recent disc, an Opto Diamond sat in my bag for weeks before I got the confidence in it to use regularly. The more skilled players on this site don't have that issue. The more skilled players have a greater knowledge of a larger array of discs.

Of course, its the newer players that get gung-ho and buy and bag everything that creates the big delays you are referring to. I've never had to wait for my partner to select his disc but it sounds pretty frustrating.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:16 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 134 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:

This has been discussed a million times. Emac had the perfect answer to why the ball golf comparison doesn't work. In ball golf you have to take your driver and throw it over a lake.hoping you don't lose it without having a back up.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:21 AM

Niced 54 Times in 17 Posts

13? I think this is an inadequate number for a versatile player on a course that demands a variety of shots. Particularly, if that player is facing a course with which they are unfamiliar. Also, conditions can change dramatically during a tournament day. 20 seems more reasonable to me.

My local course on a calm day, I could be limited to 6 discs and it wouldn’t hurt my score.

Spike, Zone
Archer, Buzz, Bard
Underworld, Explorer, XXX
Hatchet, Escape, Culverin
King, Sword

Last edited by Rumpled; 02-06-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:34 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 96
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 339 Times in 171 Posts

Having read through the thread, I noticed that the OP never offered any justification for a limit on the number of discs. There are a few hints and offered rationales by others, but from what I gather these are the offered reasons:

1. Golf(real) does it.
2. Players with more discs have a competitive advantage.
3. Fewer discs would speed up play.
4. Limiting discs would increase disc sales!

Is there really a problem that a disc limitation rule is going to solve? In my opinion, rules should have a defined and desirable purpose and be designed to meet that purpose and, if not effective in doing so, eliminated.

As to the offered reasons:

1. Who cares what golf does regarding clubs, disc golf does not have clubs.
2. I lost my last tournament to a guy carrying 3 Teebirds and a putter, I had about 20 discs.
3. People who can't decide what disc to throw would have the same issue if they only had a Nuke OS and an understable putter. Okay, that is an exaggeration, , but the indecisiveness of people with a lot of discs is not because of the number of discs, rather it is most often because of their cluelessness about what different discs do. I sometimes play with a guy who carries 12 overstable, high speed drivers and a putter. He throws 150 feet on a good day. He can never decide what to throw and, after poring through his bag, pulls out the same Nuke and throws it on 80% of his throws. Frustrating? Why yes it is. Limiting him to only 5 Nukes and a putter isn't going to speed him up one bit. But, if I'm wrong, and limiting discs would speed up play, then I'd gladly support an effective rule. The problem is that I don't think any number above 5 or so discs is going to be effective at speeding up play, and even then, it probably won't speed up play by much.
4. This one is just stupid.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Any potential benefits of a disc limit would be extremely minor. Mostly involving a slight pace of play advantage as players can make disc choices more quickly.

If the thought was to make players demonstrate mastery of their throwing skills, instead of master of equipment, or at least to a greater degree, it would require a much smaller bag than 13. Go with 5-7; then you'd see how many different things a talented person can do with the same disc; and there'd be much more pressure to stay out of the water.

But to whose benefit? I'll bet that most players don't want it, and doubt spectators, such as they are, would care much either.

I don't see much constituency for bag limits. Sometimes it's better to acknowledge that we're not golf, that our game is different, and rules that have value in golf, don't have value to us.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:38 AM
* Ace Member *

* I was typing as Doof was, and he beat me to the post, and point, on much of that.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:54 AM
Par Member

the OP did title the thread as '13 disc bag limit'. maybe he feels we should all carry 13 bags of discs. Fitness level would definitely get factored in. Or he's a big advocate for caddies.