Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 03-18-2019, 10:10 AM
Par Member

Niced 292 Times in 96 Posts
Default A professional disc golf tour run by professional disc golfers.

Every major professional sport has a players union to look after their interests. Why not disc golf?

As of the end of 2018 there were 233 MPO players over 1000 rated. There were 93 FPO players over 900 rated. 326 total.

These 326 players vote to form a board from their members to represent the larger body.

With this united front they go to the tournament directors of DGPT events, NTs, other A tiers and ask them to bring their tournament under this new professional player driven tour. They could bring back Smashboxx, Jomez, and CCDG. They could rearrange the schedule to best suit the touring pro.

Why give Steve Dodge or the PDGA the power to control your work environment when you can control it yourself?
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 03-18-2019, 10:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.3
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,974 Times in 1,638 Posts

This presumes that the players want that power. Is there indication that the current situation (the combination of NTs, DGPTs, Majors, and scattered A-tiers) is entirely unsatisfactory to the majority of touring players? Or that tournament directors aren't already catering to these players as best they can?

Also, there's a significant difference between a "touring" pro and the majority of those 326 players you identified. I don't think we have a total of 100 truly "touring" pros between MPO and FPO.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.9
Courses Played: 100
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 557 Times in 214 Posts

Pros have enough to focus on their plate during the season.
Not sure anyone wants to be part of directing a Tour Series AND play in them.
I try to do that on a local and regional level and my rating suffers considerably.
I can only imagine what ramping it up to a national level would do.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:28 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 134 Times in 46 Posts

I come out of auto racing. In every form of racing ( and many other sports) at some point the driver or athletes have started there own series. Every single time it's a disaster. Talented drivers and athletes are one thing. Managers and promoters are a whole different thing. Not harder not easier just different . Let the players do what they do best and leave promotion to people who do that well. Just like promoters should leave video to people who do that well.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:37 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 6
Niced 118 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorpro View Post
I come out of auto racing. In every form of racing ( and many other sports) at some point the driver or athletes have started there own series. Every single time it's a disaster. Talented drivers and athletes are one thing. Managers and promoters are a whole different thing.
I don't think the post itself implies it would be a tour managed by the players, just a body to drive their interests like in any other pro sport. The thread title is poor, I'll give you that.

Last edited by RistoS; 03-18-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:44 AM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 26.9
Courses Played: 142
Niced 1,052 Times in 456 Posts

PDGA Board approved a touring pro committee in December

https://www.pdga.com/files/2018-12-1...utes_final.pdf

Old 03-18-2019, 12:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
PDGA Board approved a touring pro committee in December

https://www.pdga.com/files/2018-12-1...utes_final.pdf
I'm always surprised at just how poorly many view the PDGA. And I'm always amazed at how well they've guided the sport.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.9
Courses Played: 248
Niced 2,323 Times in 905 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizunodave View Post
Every major professional sport has a players union to look after their interests. Why not disc golf?

As of the end of 2018 there were 233 MPO players over 1000 rated. There were 93 FPO players over 900 rated. 326 total.

These 326 players vote to form a board from their members to represent the larger body.

With this united front they go to the tournament directors of DGPT events, NTs, other A tiers and ask them to bring their tournament under this new professional player driven tour. They could bring back Smashboxx, Jomez, and CCDG. They could rearrange the schedule to best suit the touring pro.

Why give Steve Dodge or the PDGA the power to control your work environment when you can control it yourself?
I don't think the bolded is true. In fact, I might counter that far more professional sports do not have player unions. And the ones that do have something very important in common.....money. They all have a reliable, steady flow in income into the sport. Usually through spectating and advertising. Pro disc golf is supported on the back of the amateur player. And my amateur money would go away, if pros organized.

Why would players pay a third party to represent their needs when they could do so for themselves?

Last edited by ru4por; 03-18-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.9
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,416 Times in 978 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
I don't think the bolded is true. In fact, I might counter that far more professional sports do not have player unions. And the ones that do have something very important in common.....money. They all have a reliable, steady flow in income into the sport. Usually through spectating and advertising. Pro disc golf is supported on the back of the amateur player. And my amateur money would go away, if pros organized.

Why would players pay a third party to represent their needs when they could do so for themselves?
Because the third party is better at it than they are? Worked out pretty well for McBeth over the winter.

Although i actually agree with your first paragraph and don't believe they have much leverage or much to gain at this point.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.9
Courses Played: 248
Niced 2,323 Times in 905 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Because the third party is better at it than they are? Worked out pretty well for McBeth over the winter.

Although i actually agree with your first paragraph and don't believe they have much leverage or much to gain at this point.
Good point. I should have thought about agents before speaking to unions.