Old 07-04-2019, 08:49 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 118 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeverett View Post
I'm not sure I entirely follow you here. Your original question seemed to be about the possible utility of competition in recreational activities. My answer was basically that competition in games is one way that we engineer reward-seeking activities that trigger the pleasure center of our brains, and by extension aid in learning.
If it doesn't (or cannot) involve conscious practicality then, competition is very similar to addiction. I am frightened by things whose only justification is that they are fun. Without pretending to be above any human desire, I am frightened by addiction. I am comfortable in the presence of mystery but made uneasy by the bulk of human behavior being driven by forces that they cannot put meaningful, plain words to.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2019, 09:01 AM
Par Member

How about this then:

Can recreative games thrive without competition?
The "participation trophy" mindset that so many make fun of is indeed ridiculous, but why? Maybe because it is given in the context of supposed competition, and ignores the definite reality of winners and losers. It supposedly tells the losers that it's ok to lose because at least they tried... which is what a lot of you have been saying in this thread. Or is it only seen as ridiculous to the competitive and the winners, whose goals and dominance are being diminished by the attitude that everyone says sportsmanship is all about?
Is there a way to eliminate all this nonsense and still play disc golf, or baseball, for example, at a competent or high level?
Old 07-04-2019, 09:04 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,191 Times in 772 Posts

Do you not feel the urge to test your time honed skills against others to see how you compare? Try and learn things from peers you would otherwise not interact with?

The main reasons that I compete is to see if my work in honing my skills is working. Also because as a former fairly high level athlete I miss the adrenaline of competition. This gives me a healthier outlet that is more sustainable physically and financially than others I’ve tried.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-04-2019, 09:12 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose33 View Post
Do you not feel the urge to test your time honed skills against others to see how you compare? Try and learn things from peers you would otherwise not interact with?

The main reasons that I compete is to see if my work in honing my skills is working. Also because as a former fairly high level athlete I miss the adrenaline of competition. This gives me a healthier outlet that is more sustainable physically and financially than others I’ve tried.
I know if I'm doing well or not without competing with others. If I got an adrenaline rush from competition that would be an understandable draw I reckon, but I don't. I do like to learn from others, which is one of the reasons that I sometimes play tournaments, but that doesn't require competition.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:12 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 213 Times in 111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armus Patheticus View Post
...Is there a way to eliminate all this nonsense and still play disc golf, or baseball, for example, at a competent or high level?
To eliminate it in all the people who want to play at a high level... no. Possible to play at a high level without it.... yes.

Competition is a powerful motivator for some people, and therefore those people will make up a greater percentage of high level players.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2019, 08:16 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesethin View Post
To eliminate it in all the people who want to play at a high level... no. Possible to play at a high level without it.... yes.

Competition is a powerful motivator for some people, and therefore those people will make up a greater percentage of high level players.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I agree
Old 07-04-2019, 09:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.9
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,147 Times in 694 Posts

Another humdinger of a thread you got going, pathetic arm.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-05-2019, 07:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,307 Times in 646 Posts

Quote:
If it doesn't (or cannot) involve conscious practicality then, competition is very similar to addiction. I am frightened by things whose only justification is that they are fun. Without pretending to be above any human desire, I am frightened by addiction. I am comfortable in the presence of mystery but made uneasy by the bulk of human behavior being driven by forces that they cannot put meaningful, plain words to.
This is legit one of the dumbest things I've ever read
Old 07-05-2019, 01:04 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 134 Times in 46 Posts

People....STOP FEEDING TROLLS

Niced: (2)

Old 07-05-2019, 01:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 49 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
I am comfortable in the presence of mystery but made uneasy by the bulk of human behavior being driven by forces that they cannot put meaningful, plain words to.
A joke I once heard:

Nietzsche: "God is dead.. and we have killed him."
People: "Oh wow, that's great."
Nietzsche: "No, you little sh*t, that means we have to be God now. Can you be God?"
People: "Oh f*ck."

Welcome to the new world, Armus!

Last edited by jeverett; 07-05-2019 at 01:32 PM.