Old 12-01-2019, 03:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 792 Times in 616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhite;3525415 [B
When people say that Trilogy premium plastics aren't durable, I don't think they mean that they are getting all chunked up and mangled like DX drivers will, but rather that they still look to be in fairly good condition but have become more understable.[/B]
This would seem to be desirable for people that want to "cycle" midranges. And, I find that storing drivers in a pile for a period of time will bring much of the stability back
This. Trilogy discs don't seem to beat worse than other brands, but they definitely do become understable faster. I'll use the Sheriff and Trespass as examples. Those two seem to get flippy fast. The disc can look perfect, but start bombing wildly right without warning.

I can't really explain why the plastic is getting flippy without showing obvious signs of wear.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 12-01-2019, 07:21 PM
I'm With Her

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,362 Times in 1,724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
This. Trilogy discs don't seem to beat worse than other brands, but they definitely do become understable faster. I'll use the Sheriff and Trespass as examples. Those two seem to get flippy fast. The disc can look perfect, but start bombing wildly right without warning.

I can't really explain why the plastic is getting flippy without showing obvious signs of wear.
Agreed. And while I loved the feel and original flight of Gold Line Rivers, I had to give them up because they beat in and became too flippy very fast. And the Opto Rivers were little better vis-a-vis durability.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-01-2019, 08:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.9
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,147 Times in 694 Posts

Trespass is good for a handful of throws and then the trust is gone.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:30 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 487 Times in 185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
I don't think it has.

I've only been throwing Trilogy for five years now and I have not delved into discs older than my time with the brands (so basically, all my stuff has been made in the last 5-6 years).

I've found that some plastics, particularly Gold/Fuzion/Tournament, will break in quickly but plateau at a nice sweet spot for a good long time. Opto/Lucid/VIP seems to have a slower break in but also plateau at their sweet spot for a good long time. I've had a few discs in the bag for anywhere from 3 to 5 years that aren't appreciably different now than they were originally. If they got too beat in and flippy, I'd replace them but I have no real need to do so yet.

Maybe it depends on your throwing style or where you play, but I don't find that Trilogy plastics wear in all that much differently than other brands. Some blends might break in faster than others, but I've seen that with other brands as well. And all the premium plastics, once broken in, maintain their characteristics for a while.

If you're looking for a disc to be exactly the same from the first time you throw it to the 500th time you throw it, it would seem you have unreasonable and unrealistic expectations. No matter what brand it is.
I agree with all this. I find Lucid breaks in faster than Champion, but not by a ton. That’s fine by me as a noodle arm. I’m actually trying to beat-in an Escape for turnover shots,having lost my older Escape, and am annoyed that the disc seems stuck in the sweet spot area. For me, that means the Escapes are hyzer-flip machines.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:41 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 123
Niced 74 Times in 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Not really I have heard of players with discs in Lucid of Dynamic Disc beating much faster then the Opto from Latitude 64. Opto lasts about a year longer then Lucid for the players that use both plastics or have in past.

Opto, Lucid, and VIP are the exact same plastic just labeled differently for the three companies. They're all made in the same factory with the same machines and same plastic supply.

Niced: (2)
Old 12-01-2019, 11:00 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 922 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb3 View Post
Opto, Lucid, and VIP are the exact same plastic just labeled differently for the three companies. They're all made in the same factory with the same machines and same plastic supply.
So they say, but I feel Opto compared to Lucid and VIP and Opto feels like it is lesser and I can dent it in easier then the Lucid or VIP plastic. Opto feels lesser when I feel a new disc in Opto and new disc in Lucid, Opto it molds up a tad more soft in the mold then Lucid and is not as translucent as Lucid. I feel that Latitude 64 is giving Dynamic Discs the lesser plastic from the same style of plastic pellets.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 12-01-2019 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:48 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 413
Niced 402 Times in 202 Posts

Quote:
So they say, but I feel Opto compared to Lucid and VIP and Opto feels like it is lesser and I can dent it in easier then the Lucid or VIP plastic. Opto feels lesser when I feel a new disc in Opto and new disc in Lucid, Opto it molds up a tad more soft in the mold then Lucid and is not as translucent as Lucid. I feel that Latitude 64 is giving Dynamic Discs the lesser plastic from the same style of plastic pellets.
Lat 64 makes opto. DD is lucid and westside is VIP. So you're saying latitude is actually ripping themselves off? They're the same thing.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 213
Niced 350 Times in 212 Posts

Quote:
Opto is the Lat 64 version.

Lucid is the Dynamic Discs name (for the same plastic).

So did you say it backwards when you said Lat64 is giving DD the "lesser version." You said you thought Opto was "lesser" compared to Lucid and VIP.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:37 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Trilogy would be able to sponsor better players if they didn't have to pay "pellet sorters" too. Excellent point Casey! You continue to top yourself in totally uneducated nonsense. And how does Opto feel lesser? Lesser than what? Just stick to Valks and #2 upshots.

Niced: (1)

Old 12-02-2019, 04:46 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Agreed. And while I loved the feel and original flight of Gold Line Rivers, I had to give them up because they beat in and became too flippy very fast. And the Opto Rivers were little better vis-a-vis durability.
I admittedly throw more lucid/opto/vip. But I feel like gold,fuzion and tournament actually beat in slower. It's probably the fact that I throw less gold line, but they seem more stable out of the box. Maybe it's my sample size though. But I got some gold line visions that fly like saints. My opto vision was money for about a season but got SOOO flippy that it's almost useless. The gold line ones I bought are beefy AF (vision wise). Just curious if I'm the only one?